I was listening to Hardcore History, dope podcast check it out.
And he mentioned how historians need some distance from events before they can analyze them objectively. For example we don't feel the visceral horror of what Genghis Khan did, so we can discuss him dispassionately, even though he systematically killed many people. More than Hitler by far.

Then he mentioned Hitler as someone whose actions were recent enough that we still feel a visceral horror and hatred for what he did. But I don't really feel that. He was evil, but he's somebody out of history and I don't feel any immediate emotion about it. Maybe it's a generational thing and enough time has finally passed. What about you?

inb4 Skullivan says he's a hero
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I feel nothing for anyone.

From the waist down.

On topic. Interesting thing to consider I suppose. I believe I'm in the same boat as you. What he was responsible for is unthinkable and a truly horrible thing to consider happening. Yet I'm either too distant in time or far too apathetic to really feel the kind of hate you're getting at towards the character known as Hitler.
Last edited by wafflesyrup at Oct 2, 2015,
Quote by wafflesyrup
From the waist down.

My waist, or theirs?

Actually, it's irrelevant.

Flesh-slapsy has gone to the bathroom. Slaps-bot-3000 is posting on his account until he returns.
I don't feel that either and it could be a generational thing. But can people be objective about stuff if they use phrases like "literally Hitler" even though they don't feel visceral hatred?
cat
No, his name has become an empty cliche and I hate 90% of the instances when it's brought up.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
I despise what he stood for (so according to what I've read, seen, heard), but the man himself? To myself and dare I say it my generation he is less of an individual so much as he is the avatar of the nazi system of beliefs, and as such I always circle back upon the belief. While that leads me to hate him by proxy, it's the belief that I actually hate, deep down.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
https://youtu.be/sEGeHxF0tF4

He seemed quite friendly..
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Do you feel a visceral hatred for Hillary?
- my dad if he saw this thread, probably
I feel a visceral hatred for uncured pork.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I don't hate anybody, I just get disappointed in them.
Quote by snipelfritz
You lost me at "Lubricate."

I'm raw, like nature. Nature boy. Big jungle leaves are my cum rags.

Sometimes I fuck a bamboo shoot.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
How can you hate a man you've never met?
I hate plenty of people I've never met but that's really beside the point
I have nothing important to say
Quote by JackSaints
How can you hate a man you've never met?
I hate plenty of people I've never met but that's really beside the point

You know you do but you don't know why.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I can't say I hate him because that implies the visceral feeling, but I do hate his actions.
cat
Quote by guitarxo
I can't say I hate him because that implies the visceral feeling, but I do hate his actions.

Hate his social views but looove his t-shirts.

I don't, but my wife's family had relatives die in the holocaust, so they're rather touchy on it, understandably.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
No. I understand that he did a lot of terrible things, I understand the "evil" of his ways but I cant say I hate him. I cant say I really HATE anything...it such a strong and misused word. Actually I have some appreciation for him and the Nazi regime, I mean what they did was nothing short of amazing, evil but amazing. I am honestly still in awe of some of the things that were produced in Nazi Germany, mainly the weapons and the armored fighting vehicles.

After visiting Germany not long ago I found out I actually like it quite a lot, the German folk actually seem like really nice people.

As for Hitler, once again, I dont hate him. I cant hate him, I dislike what he did and what he stood for, but I cant hate him cos I've never met him. In fact I feel almost as though he never existed in the first place.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
I feel the same about hitler as I do other historical figures in that category (regardless of time period). it does feel pretty distant for me.

with pretty much everything (including current events) I hate the actions and the beliefs, but I can't hate the person for it. I think free will is mostly an illusion (not that I think people aren't responsible for their own actions at all either) and that these people are mostly vehicles for more complex forces. if I'm being directly affected by something like this I'd definitely have feelings of anger and hatred though, depending on what it is I think I'd be able to look back on it differently.
Quote by guitarxo

Agreed. He's dead, hating him is a waste of time and emotion.

Far more useful to hate what he caused and hate it enough to see that it doesn't happen again.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
People in here who don't feel that sort of hatred for Hitler need to make the trip to Auschwitz and see first-hand the place where some of those atrocities happened.

Might change the meaning of it all for you.

I have a feeling Americans may not quite have felt the same impact due to the fact they were on the other side of the Atlantic and I'm not sure how they are educated on the manner.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
Quote by digman50
People in here who don't feel that sort of hatred for Hitler need to make the trip to Auschwitz and see first-hand the place where some of those atrocities happened.

I have a feeling Americans may not quite have felt the same impact due to the fact they were on the other side of the Atlantic and I'm not sure how they are educated on the manner.

Been there done that. Didnt feel hate, I felt sadness.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by digman50

If he was alive, then maybe. If there was a grave, and I happened to be in the area, I might even piss on it, if I could do so without fear of arrest.

But there are people alive who maybe - just maybe - my disgust and loathing of might be harnessed in some way to make a difference.

Hating Hitler is wasted effort.
Quote by digman50

we are educated. I took a trip to a museum and took an so history course

I still dont hate him anymore than I hate other historical figures who have done awful things
I think people still have a hatred for the Nazis, their actions, and what Hitler stood for, but honestly, Hitler himself has kind of become a punchline. I've seen so many movies, tv shows, comics that just make fun of him so much that that's kind of what I think of at this point.

Like I just think of him screaming "Nein Nein Nein" from Inglorius Basterds, or some stupid Family Guy or South Park joke.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Oct 2, 2015,
Quote by WCPhils
I think people still have a hatred for the Nazis, their actions, and what Hitler stood for, but honestly, Hitler himself has kind of become a punchline. I've seen so many movies, tv shows, comics that just make fun of him so much that that's kind of what I think of at this point.

Like I just think of him screaming "Nein Nein Nein" from Inglorius Basterds, or some stupid Family Guy or South Park joke.

John Cleese doing a better Hitler than Hitler himself comes to mind
Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise
Quote by digman50

I could take the same high horse given how Slovenes were the first victims of fascism way back in the early 20s, how they (like other Slavic nations) underwent plans of extermination and germanization throughout the war and how they finally experienced some of the very last battles with retreating Germans and collaborators in Europe.

Unlike certain island nations who never saw a single German division set foot on their soil we were invaded and actually 'absorbed' by three axis powers at once and when you're on the Nazi and Fascist list of subhuman races right after the Jews that means that bombings are the least of your concerns.

I've probably had more relatives die in war, in public executions of civilians at home or dragged into Dachau than the vast majority of you, maybe even all of you given the size and engagement of my family. But I still don't feel a genuine, emotional hatred of Hitler. And I don't think any of you do either, I think you feel a very strong ideological and rational reaction to him and the things he stood for but I don't think you hate him in the same way you hate the kid that bullied you in school or the guy that shot up a theater near you.

It's not about any of us being bad people, I just think it's not perfectly OK to compare our emotions to the emotions of the people who experienced the war and genocide first hand. I agree that some nations think of the war as a mere medal on their grandfather's uniform more than others though.

edit: And I've been to Dachau and Matthausen with school. Not quite Auschwitz but close enough I think.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Last edited by JamSessionFreak at Oct 3, 2015,
i can't say i have any kind of visceral horror or hatred for Hitler. sure, he was a piece of shit, but his actions are so far removed from my lifetime.

now modern day Neo Nazis, Klansmen, and other similar scum: i'd like to lynch them.

edit: and 100% of what Phils said up there. spot on. dude's a punchline.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Last edited by jakesmellspoo at Oct 3, 2015,
Yeah I agree with Phils also.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
Gotta love that nutty 'Dolphster
Be excellent to each other ☺
Paully
Last edited by Paully1 at Oct 5, 2015,