Hi there...

I am starting this discussion which may be endless but I just want to share what is bubbling in my mind...

I am having BOSS GT8 which is very decent and satisfactory for me as a home player... I used to plug it to my old Marshall valvstate amp which has a very bad sound so I used to 100% depend on the GT8 to shape my sound... Now I replaced this VS Marshall with Laney IRT Studio which is all tube amp... Very very good amp with great clean and drive sound... So I shifted to the opposite extreme and started to 100% depend on the amp and use the GT8 in 4 cable method just to add wah, delay, chorus or other effects. Yesterday I tried to use one of the distortions of GT8 on the clean channel of the amp and it sounded really nice... very very different than using same distortion on the clean channel of the old amp... so it has become obvious that neither extreme was correct and I have to spend nights and nights trying endless combinations between the amp and GT8 to get cool sounds... I know there is no specific answer to my thread by I need to have your thoughts about possible setups that you have tried and had cool sounds that deserve trying... in other words... suggested effect chains including the Laney preamp channels, built-in reverb, EQ and tone besides GT8 wide range of effects
Try separating your paragraph into multiple paragraphs for an easier read. Also I do believe this would be a settings thread, which IIRC are banned.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, MIA Standard Strat, Charvel So Cal Pro Mod, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Experiment. If you find something that sounds good, use it. Everyone will look for something a bit different.

Personal preference is to use my Mesa front end for gain and run the DME thru the effects loop for great delay, reverb, flange, chorus, Leslie, etc. best of both worlds. YMMV
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by Cajundaddy
Experiment. If you find something that sounds good, use it. Everyone will look for something a bit different.
+1.

In my experience, the best use of a multi-effects unit with a good sounding tube amp, is in the effects loop of the amp, for delay, reverb, etc. The IRT Studio has an effects loop. I wouldn't use a multi-effect's digital distortion with a guitar amp, standalone distortion boxes sound better imo. Using the digital distortion generally works best in a direct input system. But what works for you is what works for you. But I'd try a normal overdrive pedal as well, with the IRT.
Quote by Will Lane
+1.

In my experience, the best use of a multi-effects unit with a good sounding tube amp, is in the effects loop of the amp, for delay, reverb, etc. The IRT Studio has an effects loop. I wouldn't use a multi-effect's digital distortion with a guitar amp, standalone distortion boxes sound better imo. Using the digital distortion generally works best in a direct input system. But what works for you is what works for you. But I'd try a normal overdrive pedal as well, with the IRT.

Have you tried wah in the amp effect loop? I read that wah needs to be put before preamp thats why i set 4 cable method although it is messy kinda
Quote by mockbel
Have you tried wah in the amp effect loop? I read that wah needs to be put before preamp thats why i set 4 cable method although it is messy kinda
I use an individual wah in the effects loop. A wah's location is up to the user, but before preamp or in the loop both work fine. I prefer loop, that way the preamp's magic hits the wah pedal rather than just the dull guitar signal.