Hey UG, My band is trying to get a bunch of low key gigs to test out our new guitar player, and last Friday we showed up to the most disorganized horror fest you've ever seen!

We didn't advertise the gig, just brought along a few friends that live in the area and a couple of our regulars who traveled with us. Some how we brought 18 of the 20 paying customers in the bar! Of course, sound check is running late and no body gets one. Now the whole show is behind so we barely get to even test levels. After a jam and volume adjustment my lips touch the mix *SHOCK*. We finish our little set instrumental and just jam out for a bit. Then we pack up our gear and it turns out no one else brought there own cabs and one dude asked to borrow a dirt box!

We're usually nice dudes and we appreciate these bands letting us open for them on short notice so we lend them the gear. After the show I say "how'd you like the pedal man" (Fuzz pedal I built, searching for a buyer haha) and he goes yeah it was real cool man but when I jumped on it it stopped working?

WTF man, it's not boss don't jump on it! Never again I say.

Anyone got similar stories or anecdotes?

TL;DR Played a gig, dude borrowed a pedal, broke it, didn't apologize. Anyone else have gear borrowing horror stories?
You should have kicked that guys ass
Frankly anyone who turns up to play a gig without actually having the right gear to play a gig is an idiot who should not be playing gigs

My brother once had to lend his bandmate a guitar for a gig. As in, a fucking guitarist didn't have a guitar
I have nothing important to say
Maybe you shouldn't have built such a poor quality pedal.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Anyone who doesn't bring the gear they need to do a gig is a moron.

There was this one bassist I knew who was in a band, but he didn't even own an amp. He had to borrow whatever PA was available there like a mong. Goes without saying that rehearsal was a complete waste of time since the bassist couldn't hear himself.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 2, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Anyone who doesn't bring the gear they need to do a gig is a moron.

I partly agree, but I will add the condition that they don't ask first. It's perfectly fine to talk to a band that you are friends with about borrowing like a bass amp or something so you don't have to bring your own. It's pretty common for bands to backline/share bass amps or drum kits within local scenes.

But showing up without the stuff you need and expecting to borrow stuff without having made arrangements well in advance, especially if you expect to borrow stuff from someone that you don't know well, is really stupid.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I hate it to the point where I don't. If you didn't bring your shits, sucks for you.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
I hate it to the point where I don't. If you didn't bring your shits, sucks for you.

My new mantra
I feel your pain. A similar thing happened to me once:

I played a gig where the guy playing after my band asked if he could use my pedal board. I should have said No since I had seen his shows before and knew he relied on being out-of-control on the stage in exchange for actual talent. But I said Sure whatever.

This guy's act was literally just strumming all the strings on his guitar, cause feedback, and then fuck with every knob on every one of my pedals to see what bizarre sounds he could get.

That wasn't so bad until he started punching my wah pedal and slamming my pedal board up and down. One of the aux cords snapped or clipped a wire causing his signal to cut in and out. He then looked at me and, I kid you not, said, "You're fucking pedals are a piece of shit". Eventually the signal was cut off entirely and he stormed off stage and commented on all social media related to that show "The absolute worst performance I've done, thanks to faulty equipment. That was unacceptable."

That was the last show my band ever played.

...I hate that guy
Quote by BreatheOver

I played a gig where the guy playing after my band asked if he could use my pedal board. I should have said No since I had seen his shows before and knew he relied on being out-of-control on the stage in exchange for actual talent. But I said Sure whatever.

This guy's act was literally just strumming all the strings on his guitar, cause feedback, and then fuck with every knob on every one of my pedals to see what bizarre sounds he could get.

That wasn't so bad until he started punching my wah pedal and slamming my pedal board up and down. One of the aux cords snapped or clipped a wire causing his signal to cut in and out. He then looked at me and, I kid you not, said, "You're fucking pedals are a piece of shit". Eventually the signal was cut off entirely and he stormed off stage and commented on all social media related to that show "The absolute worst performance I've done, thanks to faulty equipment. That was unacceptable."

...I hate that guy

This story pissed me off, how did you not kick his ass?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by BreatheOver

...I hate that guy

That is rough dude...
Sharing gear is OK, so long as it's arranged in advance, with a clear understanding that "you break it, you bought it".

And, of course, that you're not a dick with other people's gear.
Quote by theogonia777 at #33619967
I partly agree, but I will add the condition that they don't ask first. It's perfectly fine to talk to a band that you are friends with about borrowing like a bass amp or something so you don't have to bring your own. It's pretty common for bands to backline/share bass amps or drum kits within local scenes.

Yeah, I can understand it being impractical to bring an entire drumkit if it's only somewhere small like a bar. But bass amps don't require anywhere near that amount of freight.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 2, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Yeah, I can understand it being impractical to bring an entire drumkit if it's only somewhere small like a bar. But bass amps don't require anywhere near that amount of freight.

Backline at a bar gig is pretty common but should be discussed first, showing up and expecting it to be all good is stupid.
Quote by JustRooster
how did you not kick his ass?

I honestly don't know. I think at the time I didn't want to cause a scene or somehow make myself look like a dick so I just did nothing. Wish I had. Hindsight is always 20/20 I suppose.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

From a bassist point bass amps aren't a problem unless you've got an 8x10. Buuut... from a sound person perspective, swapping bass amps is annoying. Nothing is better than setting levels for a drum kit and bass amp and then letting them sit for the night and having to not worry so much about it.

Knowing this, if somebody agrees to provide the sole bass amp for the night, or at least use it for two or three of the bands, that will make the sound person's job easier. Happy sound person makes everybody's lives easier. It also means less time wasted between sets, better mixes, etc.

Quote by Clutch Control
Backline at a bar gig is pretty common but should be discussed first, showing up and expecting it to be all good is stupid.

It's common at a lot of venues, to the point where some venues will even provide drum kits and bass amps. Most of the shows I've ever played, organized, or ran sound for had some amount of backlining, either drums, amps, or both.

But again... the important point is the whole "in advance" thing.
Last edited by theogonia777 at Oct 2, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

But the cab, tho...

I actually do know a guy who used to run a VBA 800 through one of these for club-size gigs
Ask before the gig.
Many of the places I played all the bands on the bill got together and talked and agreed to share drum shells, but bring their cymbals and snare
Guitarists shared cabs if they were ok with the speakers in it
And bassist shared cabs and/or heads.

But to go to a gig without it planned out in advance is like getting ready to fuck someone and failing to get hard.
You don't have what you need to do the job, and you look like an asshole
one of my friends had a fender strat he was going to play at a college band night.

one bloke asked if he could borrow it, proceeded to put it in drop c then try and play with it - my friend consequently sounded rubbish as he couldn't get it to stay in tune afterwards!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by BreatheOver

...I hate that guy

wow. if i were you i would've shoved the guy off stage, unplugged my board, picked it up and left. how do people like this even exist?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Acϵ♠
wow. if i were you i would've shoved the guy off stage, unplugged my board, picked it up and left. how do people like this even exist?

Because his behaviour wouldn't be a legal reason to insert his guitar in him.
My bass amp is a big heavy mother fucker with a 15" speaker. It's a pain in the ass and if someone else had one already at the venue, yeah id see if i could use it instead of lugging around a 100lb monster. I would never want to use someone else's guitar amp though because im an absurdly picky fuck about my electric guitar tone
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
I LOVE sharing gear.

There's nothing I hate more than 4 bands sharing a bill and having 8 amps, 4 bass amps, a huge mess of a drum kit and spending most of the evening micing and soundchecking. It's hassle to load and unload, makes changeovers a mess and guess what, the audience doesn't care that you're using a handwired class A amp or a marshall or whatever. It just doesn't compute to them. You're the only one who cares

A few weeks before every gig, I get in touch with the other bands and we see who brings what. More stage space, easy changeover, ONE soundcheck. There is zero point to having four of everything.
Quote by flexiblemile
I LOVE sharing gear.

There's nothing I hate more than 4 bands sharing a bill and having 8 amps, 4 bass amps, a huge mess of a drum kit and spending most of the evening micing and soundchecking. It's hassle to load and unload, makes changeovers a mess and guess what, the audience doesn't care that you're using a handwired class A amp.

A few weeks before every gig, I get in touch with the other bands and we see who brings what. More stage space, easy changeover, ONE soundcheck. There is zero point to having four of everything.

There's a lot of truth to this. It does, however, rely on everyone being trustworthy, and agreeing to the sacred principle of borrowing: respect the other guy and his gear, as you hope he would with you and yours.
i let absolutely no one even touch my equipment,
Quote by BreatheOver

...I hate that guy
and this is why.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
There's a lot of truth to this. It does, however, rely on everyone being trustworthy, and agreeing to the sacred principle of borrowing: respect the other guy and his gear, as you hope he would with you and yours.

That's true. However, in the case of the OP having his pedal messed up... I wouldn't lend my pedals or my guitar (except in the case of a mid song string break or other imprompty electronic breakdown). Our drummer doesn't lend his breakables (cymbals, snare etc.)

Our amps are also powerful enough that if the musicians borrowing them put them loud enough to damage them, the soundguy would shut him down because they damage ear drums before they damage themselves, hehe