Hi All,

I live in a small apartment and my neighbours are fussy. My Sunn Alpha 112p has a headphone jack, and now I've decided to take the plunge and buy a REALLY good set of Headphones for late night practice. I'd like something comfortable (I have a really big head lol) that I can wear for a long period without getting uncomfortable. I've done some research, and these seem like the best option so far:

http://www.amazon.ca/Beyerdynamic-PRO-Headphone-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM

I'd really appreciate some input here. I'll be buying some new cans in the next month or two and I don't want to make any wrong moves.

-Major Bludd
Before you buy a pair of nice headphones to use with an amp try someone else’s nice headphone with your amps. A tiny hiss or hum that you don’t notice through the speaker can drive you crazy through nice headphones with a huge response range. Sometimes it’s better to use garbage headphones that can’t reproduce the high end where hiss lives.
Quote by billabob

+1
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My tech mates at the music store did some experimenting with headphones and SS amps. They found the lo-fi headphones gave a tone closer to the speaker than hi-fi ones. So more expensive might not be better, you have to keep an open mind. I bought a set of Ashton drum headphones, they work fine.
Quote by Cathbard
+1

++1 to the ATH=M50X

Use them through my POD HD500x and they sound utterly incredible, and very comforatable to wear for marathon jamming sessions. But as jpny said, test some other headphones first. My POD has a very high quality headphone out, but your amp may not have one (after all they designed the amp to play through the amp speaker first, and the headphone out was an add-in).

I feel your pain, I also live in an apartment-therefore 99.999% of my playing is done through the POD/headphones (jump on the limited chances when I get home early and see my immediate neighbor's parking spaces empty!), wish I could get a nice Mesa Mini-Rectifier but, the headphone route is what I'm limited to....
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Vulture-Satin Black
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Snakebyte-Snow White
ESP LTD James Hetfield Signature Iron Cross-Snow White
Jackson Pro Series Soloist SL2Q Trans Root Beer Quilt
Jackson SLATXMQ Soloist3-6-Trans Red Quilt
Jackson Pro Series Dinky DK2QM-Chlorine Burst
Jackson Pro Series Monarkh SC-Trans Purple Quilt
Ibanez Iron Label ARZIR20
Schecter Hellraiser C-1-Black Cherry Burst
Ibanez RG-770-Laser Blue
Jackson Kelly-Trans Green Flame
Line 6 Helix LT
Quote by Major Bludd
I've done some research, and these seem like the best option so far:

http://www.amazon.ca/Beyerdynamic-PRO-Headphone-250-ohms/dp/B0006NL5SM

Have you actually had a set of these on your head?

Honestly, that's a very good choice. You've managed to skirt the "Beats" and other bass-heavy DJ-oriented junk out there, and that says something.

The BeyerDynamic 770's are a neutral, clean-sounding studio-quality set of cans. Others that have the same pedigree include the Sony 7506 (studio mainstay), AKG 240 and Sennheiser 280. All are in the same $100-200 price range, and aside from fit, feel and minor sonic differences, any of these will do you proud.

Other differences: a few have detachable/interchangeable cables. Sometimes a coil cord works well and sometimes it's a bit too heavy and snags switches, sliders, etc. Sometimes you just need a longer cable, sometimes a relatively short straight cable works best.

Some fit over your ears, some fit on it. Over-ears can get a bit sweaty at times, but they help keep extraneous noise from cutting in and they sometimes give you a bit better bass response. ON ears are cooler, sometimes lighter, but get affected by room noise.

And finally, that pad on top and the pressure it puts on your head should be considered. There are folks who actually travel with their own piece of memory foam that sits on their heads UNDER whatever headphone's pad might be.
Quote by Tony Done
My tech mates at the music store did some experimenting with headphones and SS amps. They found the lo-fi headphones gave a tone closer to the speaker than hi-fi ones. So more expensive might not be better, you have to keep an open mind. I bought a set of Ashton drum headphones, they work fine.

Good point. Guitar speakers ARE low-fi and have limited range. And their cabinets will produce further modification of the sound.

If you're using a good set of headphones, you might decide you need to EQ them a bit if sounding what your amp's speaker is important to you.

OTOH, if you eventually move to something like a Pod for practice (I just left an amp at the practice facility), the Pod itself is already modeling a guitar speaker/cabinet for you, so something with flatter response and a wide range (like a PA speaker) will produce better results.
*resurrects thread*

I'm currently using my old set of Grado SR 80 headphones with my Sunn 112. They sound great, but not too comfortable.

Still got my eye on the BeyerDynamics, just not sure which model to get. They are expensive so I don't wanna screw up.
Quote by Major Bludd

Still got my eye on the BeyerDynamics, just not sure which model to get. They are expensive so I don't wanna screw up.

Find something with the numbers 770 in the model number. Listen to those, and then get something that sounds like that. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DT770pro?adpos=1t2&creative=83049424441&device=c&matchtype=b&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1dWyBRDqiJye6LjkhfIBEiQAw06ITtTAjklxhXidqO4mcm5ewc8vWnDi_yjVzNiP58PNmHUaAuoh8P8HAQ

They'll be around $199 most places unless you can find a good Black Friday or Cyber Monday deal on them.
FWIW, I found some good deals on over the ear headphones- WITHOUT "extended bass response (or whatevs)- at the various brands outlet stores. They were refurbished, but at $5 a pair, I figured what the hell. Bought a few from Sony.

It has been more than 7 years, and I'm still using the first pair I opened. I've even given some away as gifts.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Major Bludd
*resurrects thread*

I'm currently using my old set of Grado SR 80 headphones with my Sunn 112. They sound great, but not too comfortable.

I thought Grado headphones leaked sound though
Quote by Gibson_LesPaul_
I thought Grado headphones leaked sound though

Most headphones leak sound. If you’re using them to play guitar at home it really doesn’t matter. Sound leaking is only a problem for people who need to record vocals or travel in quiet cars on trains.
I have 3 pairs of Audio Technical ATH-M50s. They are great headphones for using as a reference when mixing, or when tracking drums, but are not at all what I'd consider comfortable. I don't know that I'd want to wear those headphones for more than an hour at a time.

That being said, while I don't find those Beyer DT770s to be as neutral sounding as the ATs, they are INSANELY comfortable. I'd have no issue wearing a pair for hours on end. They provide adequate isolation (though not as much as the ATs, which honestly aren't that great either), but if people hearing your music is a concern, they'll do. However, if you have the budget and don't need the fully closed back phones, the DT880 and DT990 are both significant improvements in sound quality. The 990s II own are some of the best headphones I've heard. While I'd feel confident mixing entirely on my Audio Technicas, without my monitors, at this point... There was definitely a learning period. My 990s are so accurate, I feel like I could've popped them on right out of the box and mixed an album.

For your purposes, the 880 is somewhat in the middle of the 770 and 990 and would likely be best for listening to music. It has aa little bigger lowend, which would translate nicely to a guitar amp.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com