Few weeks ago I got myself a Shure SM57 and recorded some heavy stuff with it using Audacity and it sounded great. I had my record volume set at 30 and it didn't clip or anything. So today I've tried to record some more music and the mic clipped very heavily. I even turned down record volume to 5 and it still clipped here and there. The thing is, this mic was recording much louder stuff but today for some reasons it clips at even low volumes. What could be the culprit for this?
How are you connecting the mic to the computer?
What is the "recording volume" you're referring to exactly?
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Quote by Spambot_2
How are you connecting the mic to the computer?
What is the "recording volume" you're referring to exactly?

I am connecting it through USB to XLR cable. It's not a full audio interface but it gives me the sound I need. Recording Volume is this slider to the left in Audacity:

Before I used to have this on 30 but now it clips even on very low volumes. I was thinking it's my laptop, maybe I should try connecting it to my desktop PC and see if that makes any difference. But that's for tomorrow
Last edited by nitrousable at Oct 2, 2015,
Give us a full screen shot of the track clipping.
My Soundcloud dudes
Recording gear:
Yahama Hs8
Saffire Pro 40
Shure Sm57
Shure Sm7b

Guitar gear :
Ebmm BFR7
Axe fx XL+
Walrus audio Janus
Ibanez Ergodyne
Black Market Custom cab
There is no gain control in the settings. However there is AGC which stands for Automatic Gain Control. Should I keep it off?

This should give you a general idea of how the rest of the recording looks like

Last edited by nitrousable at Oct 3, 2015,
Quote by nitrousable
There is no gain control in the settings. However there is AGC which stands for Automatic Gain Control. Should I keep it off?
Yes, definitely.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Turning down AGC didn't wield expected results - mic gain became super low.

However when I connected my mic to another PC, almost all clipping was gone. And I was recording at 30. Before I used to record at 5 and it would still clip. So I'm guessing it was the sound board of my laptop
If you're using an XLR to USB cable, that's the interface you're using.
The input signal clipping has nothing to do with the computer's sound card.

I'd reinstall the XLR to USB cable driver if it has any, or ASIO4ALL if it has none, and then retry.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Quote by Spambot_2
If you're using an XLR to USB cable, that's the interface you're using.
The input signal clipping has nothing to do with the computer's sound card.

I'd reinstall the XLR to USB cable driver if it has any, or ASIO4ALL if it has none, and then retry.

I would rather not touch anything if it works as intended for now

If it's not a sound card issue then why does it clip so much on my laptop but works fine on my PC?
It is not a sound card issue, don't look for reasons why you think it might be - it isn't one, because the cable acts as the interface. You aren't using your computer's sound card as an input device because you're going in via USB instead.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Quote by nitrousable
If it's not a sound card issue then why does it clip so much on my laptop but works fine on my PC?
A drive issue I suspect, that's the reason why I suggested to reinstall the proprietary drivers or ASIO4ALL in case there aren't any proprietary ones.

As both me and Derek outlined, your problem doesn't have anything to do with any sound card.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola
Aww, sorry man, it's been too much time and my memory sucks too much
I'll be sure to remember it for next time.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
Quote by Cajundaddy
Quote by chrismendiola