I bought an Affinity Telecaster and I am planning on removing the neck pu and replacing the bridge pu with a SD tappable 53. The wiring I am planning might not be possible, but I have no experience making schematics. In position 1 the 53 will be tapped and will bypass the volume and tone, in position two the 53 is full and does not bypass any controls, in position 3, it has the cocked wah mod.
Does anyone have any suggestions or even know how to wire it? (or know anyone that can?) Calling this "50/14 Wiring".
Last edited by 70001407 at Oct 3, 2015,
I could make this but instead I'll help you out. What I'll do is draw something out tonight in photoshop. I haven't seen the cocked wah mod in a while but this can be done for the bypassing. Why the bypass on volume though for the coilsplit is my question? if you bypass the tone control you get a clearer sound (arguably) but the volume control doesn't seem the best of ideas.

On my last tele I did a hybrid of 1950s broadcaster wiring as i got a 1950s reissue squier for next to nothing. But I had a push pull that I tried to fuse american special wiring on it or whatever the greasebucket is on fenders as I'm not a big fender fan of their guitars but fascinated by all their mods. I just flipped the guitar and made 2 or 3x more money so it was all good. I can't believe the amount of replies for some "reliced" guitar that waterslide decal sure was something.
I just think the lack of volume just makes sets it apart from position 2, and I don't really use volume swells or anything while playing. So it's kind of just there because it is something unique to set it apart from other Esquires.
Last edited by 70001407 at Oct 2, 2015,
Would there be any downsides to bypassing volume (other than volume being on 10 at all times)
not that I can see luckily you have a 3 way blade toggle on a tele so this can happen. On a les paul style selector this would be impossible to get those 3 sounds.
Tallwood, the 53 is a single coil pickup and when TS says tapped, he means tapped. His idea is valid because the volume control could be used to match the volume between the full tone and the tapped tone.

Edit: The only way I see this working is with a pair of dual gang pots (blend pot) to separate the circuits of positions 2 and 3. The regular tele switch will be unable to do so with regular pots as both positions will bleed into one another making them sound identical.

Edit 2: Okay maybe just one blend pot for volume and a regular tone pot just for position 2.

Edit 3: On the SD Pickup, I believe the yellow wire could be red.

These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Oct 3, 2015,
you saved me a trip to photoshop Jim. The way I see things working the way I do with the cocked wah you'd have no control over tone in the 3rd position. The no control over volume seems pretty easy but with the tapped 53 I see 3 wires. Ground , hot lead and coilsplitting right? if so it helps me with an idea but honestly a no load tone pot or a push pull will do you a lot more damage.
Tallwood, on the SD Tapped Tele pickup, there is one ground wire and two hot wires, red (I drew yellow but edited post to say could be either) for tapped and white for full output. The way an original esquire is, there is only tone control in the middle position. I've managed to do it with a regular tele switch. To have the tone control work in the 3rd position also would mean a different switch or a stacked tone pot.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Oct 3, 2015,
So I'm just going with the wiring schematic Jim wrote. That one includes the blend volume and the normal tone, right? Or just both pots normal?
Edit: Any suggestions for cap values?
2nd edit because I know nothing about wiring: for Jims wiring, is it no controls in 1st position, both controls in 2nd, and just volume in a 3rd, right?
Last edited by 70001407 at Oct 3, 2015,
That's right.

For caps .047 for the tone control and .0047 for position 3. Although it's good to experiment a little.

And the volume pot is a blend pot you need. Although in this case not actually being used for blending. Essentially two volume pots that are controlled by one knob.
These go to eleven...