Which Metallica album do you think best captured the sounds of the instruments, vocals, percussions, etc.. NOT which had the best songs or which album James' singing technique was better, but which SOUNDED best in terms of production and recording technique.

Also if you feel like sharing one Metal album (from any band) that you think has the best sound, or is just your favorite metal album, also in terms of sound quality and production I would love to check it out.

My favorite sounding Metallica record is Load because I think the mix was the best Bob Rock had done for any Metallica album. But their cover of Whiskey in the Jar-o also has an incredible sound to it, which is funny because the other songs on Garage Days don't have the same sound quality as Whiskey in the Jar-o does.
As far as an album with most of my favorite Metallica songs on it--that would be too hard to say because I love most of their work.
Metallica's cover of Whiskey in the Jar is the greatest offense to music ever.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
Metallica's cover of Whiskey in the Jar is the greatest offense to music ever.

Nah. Disturbed's cover of Shout makes me legitimately angry.
Black Album, easily....though one of their WORST albums in my opinion. Everything after Justice was terrible...except Garage Days ReRevisited and Death Magnetic.

The Black Album sonically was fantastic. But they took a left turn and never looked back.
I think there's enough info out there to confirm that the Black Album is the "best" album in terms of production, but it really is just a bit too overproduced, which is probably why you're drawn to Load. It has the same high quality production value as the lack Album, but it is scaled back a little, taking away that super-saturated, multi-layered distorted guitar sound. Load practiced a more raw, blues-rock vibe.

As far as other records that sound great... there's so many! But here's a few of my favorite

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Iced Earth - Horror Show
Testament - The Gathering
Quote by Ironic Maiden
Nah. Disturbed's cover of Shout makes me legitimately angry.

Yeah, but are you into Irish music? If not, you wouldn't understand. I mean, Disturbed's covers are abominable, but that one was straight up offensive.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Black album hands down. Amazing production, even the songwriting is very good for what it is...but I wouldn't call it metal
Second best is their debut album.
3rd one would probably be "Master..." although I might be partial to the songs more than the production...could be argued that "Death Magnetic" is 3rd best in terms of production.
Quote by guitgrinder
I think there's enough info out there to confirm that the Black Album is the "best" album in terms of production, but it really is just a bit too overproduced, which is probably why you're drawn to Load. It has the same high quality production value as the lack Album, but it is scaled back a little, taking away that super-saturated, multi-layered distorted guitar sound. Load practiced a more raw, blues-rock vibe.

As far as other records that sound great... there's so many! But here's a few of my favorite

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Bloodbath - The Fathomless Mastery
Iced Earth - Horror Show
Testament - The Gathering

Yeah, I think its true I tend to enjoy more raw sounding records in general. Thanks for sharing some albums, I'll definitely check them all out!
Quote by pressureproject
Black Album, easily....though one of their WORST albums in my opinion. Everything after Justice was terrible...except Garage Days ReRevisited and Death Magnetic.

The Black Album sonically was fantastic. But they took a left turn and never looked back.

Yep, I'd agree with you there for the most part. It's a shame their earlier records haven't been remastered or something.
for the record, I think MoP is probably my second or third fav sonically, I just wish the vocals were a little more cutting in the mix
For me the winner is Metallica. Bob Rock was at his best on the album. It just sounded so fucking HUGE without sounding sterile. I’d put it up there with The Chronic as one the best produced albums of the 1990s.
I think it's pretty hard question, because Metallica has different sound in different time.
Also the band changed the music genre. Due for that they are needed to find another sound. So, sound technologies was developed during those years which Metallica is alive. It definitely influenced for sounds his albums. In my opinion....
I'll have to agree with the Black Album. Production wise, it's definitely the best they've ever sounded. That of course says nothing about the music itself. Although, for being a fan primarily of the early Metallica, I don't hate the Black Album as much as a lot of others do. It's got some kick ass tracks.

But yeah, that production. If I could get Master of Puppets or Justice for All remixed to have the same volume levels and sonic space between instruments as the Black Album... holy shit.

As for others, I fucking love the mix and production on Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power, and Death's Symbolic, to name just a couple.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by andersondb7
Which Metallica album do you think best captured the sounds of the instruments, vocals, percussions, etc.. NOT which had the best songs or which album James' singing technique was better, but which SOUNDED best in terms of production and recording technique.

Also if you feel like sharing one Metal album (from any band) that you think has the best sound, or is just your favorite metal album, also in terms of sound quality and production I would love to check it out.

My favorite sounding Metallica record is Load because I think the mix was the best Bob Rock had done for any Metallica album. But their cover of Whiskey in the Jar-o also has an incredible sound to it, which is funny because the other songs on Garage Days don't have the same sound quality as Whiskey in the Jar-o does.
As far as an album with most of my favorite Metallica songs on it--that would be too hard to say because I love most of their work.

Let's be clear on something here: Bob Rock is a producer, not an engineer on the albums Metallica did in the 1990s. Randy Staub did all the mixing.

And yes, Load sounds fucking great.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm also another +1 for Black album ... production wise only though, it isn't one of my favorite Metallica albums. You think the production would get better with modern technology but... death magnetic *cringes*
I don't think there's a well produced Metallica album, the best is probably Ride the Lightning
Quote by oneblackened
Let's be clear on something here: Bob Rock is a producer, not an engineer on the albums Metallica did in the 1990s. Randy Staub did all the mixing.

And yes, Load sounds fucking great.

Bob Rock didn't mix them? wow I had no idea lol.
Bob Rock worked with a staff engineer who is probably credited on the movie they released on making the Black Album, but from what is shown on the VHS (or maybe now DVD?) Bob Rock was quite hands on and present during the whole making of the album. He had the final say, so you can pretty much say it is him with some other guy pushing the faders on his direction.
Fox among the chickens here...

Through The Never (OST) has the best production of any Metallica album, by far. You can try to pretend that Flemming Rammussen was their salvation from Lightning to Justice, but we all know that every album before Bob Rock sounds flat and lifeless. The rhythm guitars sound as dead as last years cat but, good news everyone(!), they do contain the some excellent songs.

Should they have hired a producer with some backbone... yes.
Should Lars have stayed away from the Columbian Marching Powder... certainly.
Should we blame Bob Rock for all of Metallica's post 91's failings... no.

The John Goodman size doozies that 'tallica have dropped have been all of their own making and when you see a band discussing FUCKING SONG TITLES with Peter Mensch and Cliff Burnstein, you know that somewhere, something is seriously WRONG.

I'm done.
Kashmir of the 90's!
Last edited by BazBlackett at Oct 24, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
Bob Rock worked with a staff engineer who is probably credited on the movie they released on making the Black Album, but from what is shown on the VHS (or maybe now DVD?) Bob Rock was quite hands on and present during the whole making of the album. He had the final say, so you can pretty much say it is him with some other guy pushing the faders on his direction.

Not a staff engineer, that's Randy Staub - the engineer he worked with pretty regularly. They had something of a partnership from the mid 80s through the late 90s or so.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i would say ...and justice for all was the best. i HATE the black album.

my favorite metal album EVER is Down's NOLA. not like a hi-fi production, it was dirty, it was nasty, it was thick, and it just fucking rocks.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by trashedlostfdup
i would say ...and justice for all was the best. i HATE the black album.

my favorite metal album EVER is Down's NOLA. not like a hi-fi production, it was dirty, it was nasty, it was thick, and it just fucking rocks.

AJFA is also my favorite album from Metallica. But I hate the fact how there was no bass on it.

I've never been a huge fan of Kirk Hammett, but he did some good solos on that album.

In terms of production, Black Album sounded the best. But I didn't liked it too much in terms of the songs. I'll be honest, I don't listen to any Metallica album after AJFA. Death Magnetic could have been great, but the production was horrible and I hate how it sounds.