I have a first series Epi VJ that has had a lot of mods, including a couple of bright switches, but still sounds warm and fuzzy, especially in the bass, when I compare it to my H&K Dual Stm EL84. I'm wondering if a new speaker would tighten it up. I only play at low volume, not much more than acoustic, clean plus pedals.

Also, could you put a treble bleed across an L-pad attenuator to brighten it up? As it is I never use the L-pad because it is a tone killer.

Cathbard's opinion on suitable (8", 10" won't quite fit) speakers available in Oz would be appreciated.

Thanks.
i'm not sure about australia but i'm guessing something brightish would help. do you want a more british or american type of tone?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah. i haven't tried that h&k but the ones i have tried probably were along those lines, as you said. and yeah i don't think the rockdriver is a standard model. i guess you could email eminence to see what it's closest to? though that's no guarantee you'd like it with the VJ anyway.

Have you been able to try the VJ with the H&K's speaker?

it's been a good while since i've tried my VJ, and I'm not sure I ever really tried all my speakers with it anyway the way I did with some other amps. My vj isn't modded, either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I bought a Epiphone Valve Jr Combo ver2 with hot rod mod (bright switch), I upgraded with Jensen C8R 8" speaker.. Its ceramic magnet and I believe it's more vintage sounding. much clearer than oem stock.
yeah i have a c10q in my vht special 6 combo and it's pretty bright and sparkly- i can't try it with my VJ though because the speaker cable isn't long enough. I have a longer cable but I couldn't get the spades to fit- I think celestion, eminence etc. are marginally different sizes for the connectors, and if you're unlucky (as I was) they don't fit.

it can be a bit fizzy and fuzzy with distortion pedals, though, if that's a concern.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ah ok, yeah that'd probably be ok. bear in mind i haven't tried the 8" jensens.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?