Hi all,

I'm putting together a small choir along with a band to play bohemian rhapsody. Due to the limited number, I dont think there will be enough people to do the full harmonies like the real thing. Basically Id like help deciding which harmonies to keep. I havent looked entirely, but the first bar of the song is basically what sounds like an inverted G minor 7( the notes from high to low are DGFB) . The lead vocals are the F so they are essential , but I was thinking I may be able to drop the fifth and just imply it. I understand it wont be quite as powerful but would this work. Also if worst comes to worst and we only do a 2 part harmony, other than the lead vocals (the F) what notes should I keep.

This is the smallest choir on youtube and Id be looking at this kind of size, although we wont be quite as experienced. https://youtu.be/c2coTfU_hyg

Thanks again and hopefully you can help (another thing is, we have a very good band backing to it)
Get sheet music of that song if you are having troubles with figuring out the harmonies.

The intro has four parts I guess (I mean, Queen has four members in it). Why not make some members of the band sing some of the parts? The intro will sound empty with just two singers. But if you only have two singers, keep the main melody and the bass. Those are the most important voices. Maybe use a synth (with a choir sound) or something for the rest of the voices, I don't know - that may or may not sound good. But I'm sure some guys in the band could also sing some of the harmonies. To sing harmonies, your voice doesn't have to be that great (I mean, you don't need to have a lead singer like voice). You just need to be able to sing in tune.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Sorry I probably didn't make it clear, basically I have a choir of 20 people and a seperate band to back it (so guitar, bass, piano, drums etc) So I could have 5 people per part but theyre not all strong singers, so my plan was to simplify the harmony so that I could have more people on each part.

(I do have the music btw)
But I wanted to know what the best part of the harmony would be to drop. So either the I, III, V or VII (thats actaully the lead vocal) .

Hopefully its clearer what my problem is now
Usually 1 or 5.

Also, D-F-G-Bb. It's more of a Bb6 chord.
Last edited by NeoMvsEu at Oct 3, 2015,
If you have to, drop one of the middle voices.

Remember that Queen only has four guys in it and they can make it work just fine (well, obviously they are great singers, at least Freddie and Roger Taylor). I think five people per part (even if they are not that strong singers) should be enough. Just mike the choir.

What I would worry about is the middle section. That does need more parts in it (if you are going to do it). Even Queen doesn't do it live - they use playback for that section.

Oh, another idea - if you have 20 signers, maybe have 7 of them singing the melody, 7 of them singing the bass, and the rest singing the two middle voices, or something like that.

You could also have some of the band members singing some parts (at least in the beginning where the band doesn't play anything).

Also, do you have a lead singer? Would it be possible to have a lead singer? Leave the other parts to the choir and let the lead singer sing the main melodies.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Oct 3, 2015,
This might help a little: Brian May going through the individual original stem tracks for BR. You get to hear some harmonies that I don't think you'd ever be able to distinguish by ear, it's pretty incredible.

(Vocals start about 13 minutes in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v15oIktGJOo
Last edited by UrmLewis at Oct 3, 2015,
Hmm thats an interesting idea for having a lead singer, I think that may work. Also I meant Bb! I just forgot to write it like that cus I wasn'tlooking at the key signature. But yh I reckon I could split the remaining parts between the choir and yes I am planning on doing the whole thing, but that part is quite obviously in different sections, so it will have to be split like that.

Sorry for the very unstructured message too