So I know this whole topic has been beat to death, but I've recently began tearing apart a Squire Bullet Telecaster I bought a while back as a project guitar. I've finished stripping the old paint off the guitar with a heat gun and lots of sanding. Used some sawdust and wood glue to fill in a few gouges I left while scraping off the old lacquer and am ready to start the whole painting process.

My intention was to buy Sealer, Primer, Paint and Lacquer from Re-Ranch, but unfortunately they don't seem to like us Canadians and don't ship up here. So I was wondering about suggestions on paint, primer and Lacquer brands. So far I've heard that Rust-oleum or Krylon paint works, I know we have Rust-oleum available everywhere, not sure about Krylon though.

From what I've read most people will do 2-3 coats of sanding sealer, 2-3 coats of primer 3-5 coats of their paint colour and then a bunch of light coats of their Lacquer. I've had some friends tell me that you put on the sealer after the primer though, which seems backwards to me but I've never painted a guitar before so is that true?

Finally, any recommendations for paint color? So far my decisions is between a Surf Green, Sonic Blue or Flat White color.

Thanks for any help. Anything is appreciated!
Quote by Killjoy14
So I know this whole topic has been beat to death, but I've recently began tearing apart a Squire Bullet Telecaster I bought a while back as a project guitar. I've finished stripping the old paint off the guitar with a heat gun and lots of sanding. Used some sawdust and wood glue to fill in a few gouges I left while scraping off the old lacquer and am ready to start the whole painting process.

My intention was to buy Sealer, Primer, Paint and Lacquer from Re-Ranch, but unfortunately they don't seem to like us Canadians and don't ship up here. So I was wondering about suggestions on paint, primer and Lacquer brands. So far I've heard that Rust-oleum or Krylon paint works, I know we have Rust-oleum available everywhere, not sure about Krylon though.

From what I've read most people will do 2-3 coats of sanding sealer, 2-3 coats of primer 3-5 coats of their paint colour and then a bunch of light coats of their Lacquer. I've had some friends tell me that you put on the sealer after the primer though, which seems backwards to me but I've never painted a guitar before so is that true?

Finally, any recommendations for paint color? So far my decisions is between a Surf Green, Sonic Blue or Flat White color.

-rustoleum and krylon aren't lacquer. they are enamel.

-sealer first then primer.

-paint it black
Quote by Killjoy14

1. My intention was to buy Sealer, Primer, Paint and Lacquer from Re-Ranch, but unfortunately they don't seem to like us Canadians and don't ship up here. So I was wondering about suggestions on paint, primer and Lacquer brands. So far I've heard that Rust-oleum or Krylon paint works, I know we have Rust-oleum available everywhere, not sure about Krylon though.

2. From what I've read most people will do 2-3 coats of sanding sealer, 2-3 coats of primer 3-5 coats of their paint colour and then a bunch of light coats of their Lacquer. I've had some friends tell me that you put on the sealer after the primer though, which seems backwards to me but I've never painted a guitar before so is that true?

3. Finally, any recommendations for paint color? So far my decisions is between a Surf Green, Sonic Blue or Flat White color.

1. You can still buy Krylon Acrylic Lacquer (not Enamel) from bigbox DIY stores, auto shops, etc. Check out this pic and note the differences:

2. Check out the refinishing thread for links to various step-by-step processes: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726&page=1&pp=40

I like the one from ReRanch, even when using Acrylic Lacquer instead f Nitro.

3. Do a Crash Strat!

Good Luck!
Quote by Explorerbuilder
First off,
If you ever do this again in the future, dont sand it all off. You didnt need to do that. All you would have needed to do is scuff the original clear coat with 400 grit until it wasnt shiny anymore.

Good tip!
There are alot of ways to finish a guitar. Some are based on what is left in the garage. why would you both Seal and prime a body? Sanding sealer is the go to for lacquer, but, you can use primer in place of that for solid colors, especially if you want to build a fill coat. but both aren't needed. they are the same step. in my case, step two applying color coat. hopefully this is a colored lacquer followed by clear lacquer. sometimes its a color enamel with a poly clear coat. I suppose if you have both sanding sealer and primer, wouldn't hurt anything.

AND Surf Green is a favorite here