Please see Edit below,

Hello guys,

I've been playing guitar since around 2 years, nowadays I am starting to have new ideas for composing.

I felt this rhythm(https://soundcloud.com/user-512082398/samplerhythm) would fit my idea. I'm not sure whether there is a name for this rhythm. Please listen to it and tell me the name.
I want to search sample drum beat rhythm for the same to add to my sound track.

D DD D DDU

Thank you very much.
------------

Edit: After receiving your advices, I have mixed my track with '90 BPM - Simple Straight Beat - Drum Track'. Do my guitar strokes and drum rhythm gel well? Please review.
Thank you
Edited file here:
https://soundcloud.com/user-512082398/samplemix
Last edited by thunderstorm29 at Oct 7, 2015,
The way I (and a lot of other) guitarists would approach this would be to use a constant down/up motion, so that every downstrum falls on beat and every upstroke falls between the beats (or in case of slower tempoes you'd go D/U/D/U during each beat). Then you could play all of the hits that fall on a beat with a downstroke and all hits that fall between the beats with an upstroke, while keeping the down/up motion going constantly. If there's a half rest in the song, you just wave your hand over nothing for two down/up motions (or four, if it's really slow). This helps you to keep rhythm and gives you a nice groove.

I'm not sure if this makes sense, maybe someone can clarify this a bit more. I can try to find a video of this approach too.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
That's a common rhythmic pattern; hardly the basis for a composition, although it could accompany all kinds of songs (and indeed has done, countless times).
As for its name, it is one half of a common Latin "3-2 clave" rhythm, although played much slower than the Latin rhythm usually is. It's one of the basic rhythmic patterns in jazz.
In rock music, it would usually be played over a straight 4/4 drum beat - the drums would not normally duplicate the guitar rhythm. (In Latin music - Cuban or Brazilian - it's more likely the reverse: the clave is played on percussion, as a foundation vamp pattern, and other instruments fit around it.)

Kevätuhri is quite right about how a guitar should play this as a strum pattern:
|D - D U - U D U|
The blanks are missing up and down strokes. I.e. the hand still moves but doesn't contact the strings.
The "clave" pattern (the "3" half of the full "3-2") is in these accents:
|> . . > . . > .|
|D - D U - U D U|
 1   2 &(3)& 4 &

At slow tempos it could all be done with downstrokes (ie downstrokes on every 8th note), and the tempo of the sample is borderline, IMO.
Last edited by jongtr at Oct 4, 2015,
Thanks Jon, you grasp the art of graphical representations of strumming patterns a lot better than I do. Not only is that a good way to play in terms of rhythm and groove, I also think that it's fun. It feels better, if you know what I mean.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Thank you very much for replies. If I need a drum track for that strumming pattern,i need to search for 'straight 4/4 drum beat' or '4/4 drum beat' am I right?
I found something called 'simple straight drum rhythm' 90bpm on YouTube which sounded close if i continuously play down strokes on beat and upper strokes in between beats as mentioned above. It's that the one?
Last edited by thunderstorm29 at Oct 4, 2015,
Quote by thunderstorm29
Thank you very much for replies. If I need a drum track for that strumming pattern,i need to search for 'straight 4/4 drum beat' or '4/4 drum beat' am I right?
I found something called 'simple straight drum rhythm' 90bpm on YouTube which sounded close if i continuously play down strokes on beat and upper strokes in between beats as mentioned above. It's that the one?
That will do fine. Your guitar track is almost exactly 90 bpm.
Downstrokes on the beat (along with kick and snare) and any upstrokes will be with the hi-hat in between.

At this fairly slow tempo, keep the strumming arm move wide and relaxed, pivoting from the elbow.
Sounds fine.

The drums could accent the "2 and" (the fourth 8th note of the bar) with a kick drum and I think it would sound a bit better.

But it also works the way it is.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Sounds fine.

The drums could accent the "2 and" (the fourth 8th note of the bar) with a kick drum and I think it would sound a bit better.

But it also works the way it is.

What is accenting the drum? Sorry im quite new to drum stuff. started experimenting now while trying to record my composition.
By the way that was a drum track i found on YouTube.
How to add/modify existing track with Kick effect which you mentioned.
Quote by thunderstorm29
What is accenting the drum? Sorry im quite new to drum stuff. started experimenting now while trying to record my composition.
By the way that was a drum track i found on YouTube.
How to add/modify existing track with Kick effect which you mentioned.
You'd either need a drum machine (hardware or software), or some audio editing software.

The idea is that a kick drum hit on that 8th note would support the accent on the guitar upstroke at the same point. It's not essential, but might help the groove.

If you want free audio editing software....
http://audacityteam.org/
You can't really edit the drum beat (if you got it from Youtube). But you could find a kick sample and add it on top of the drum beat. Well, the problem is, the kick sample most likely won't sound the same as the kick drum on your drum track.

But yeah... If you want to create drum beats, you want to get some kind of a drum machine.

I use the free "Shortcircuit" VST instrument and free drum samples that I found online (well, my snare sound is sampled from my Yamaha synth) to create drum beats. Well, you would need some kind of a DAW that supports VST instruments first. But that's a cheap and easy way to create your own drum beats (if you know how to program good drum beats - if you have no idea of how drums are usually played, it won't really work).
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Simple method with audacity would be record the drum pattern into it, select one of the kick drum sounds, copy it to an additional track, and slide the second track into place. It's easy to see in the waveform where the drum hits in the pattern lie, and to line up the extra hit where it needs to go.
You can then mix the tracks and copy/paste that measure (with the extra hit) as many times (in sequence) as you need to. You obviously need to line them up exactly so as to keep everything in time, but it's not too hard with audacity. (Easier than fiddling around with a DAW and VST instruments anyway, at least if you have no experience of that. )

Tell you what, I've got a spare few minutes, I'll see if I can do it and upload it to soundcloud or somewhere... (I say a few minutes, but don't hold your breath.. )
Last edited by jongtr at Oct 8, 2015,
OK, here you go... It took a little longer because I couldn't access your original souncloud track and had to find it on youtube.
https://soundcloud.com/jonr1/90bpm-drumtrack
It's only 1:30, not the full length original. (Hey, I don't have that much spare time....)
In fact, in the original track he adds occasional extra hits later on in the track.

The point here is to show it's easy (when you have the software).
Last edited by jongtr at Oct 8, 2015,
^ Some of the kick drum beats you added are slightly off, especially the ones closer to the end. But the ones in the beginning sound almost like they were part of the original drum track.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
^ Some of the kick drum beats you added are slightly off, especially the ones closer to the end. But the ones in the beginning sound almost like they were part of the original drum track.
You're right, dammit, for some reason I didn't check the last group I pasted in.
And yes, the ones I added were part of the original track. Easy to lift them out.
Thank you very much for a detailed explanation. Though a few points were hard for me to understand. I'm actually using Studio One artist DAW which came free along with my Presonus Audiobox iTwo audio interface.
One more thing, my song's first half has a sad feel wherein this simple straight drum rhythm kinda goes against the feel.
So i thought, the same beats should be played on hats and snares to maintain the rhythm as well as a sad feel.
Is this thought right?
Quote by thunderstorm29
Thank you very much for a detailed explanation. Though a few points were hard for me to understand. I'm actually using Studio One artist DAW which came free along with my Presonus Audiobox iTwo audio interface.
One more thing, my song's first half has a sad feel wherein this simple straight drum rhythm kinda goes against the feel.
So i thought, the same beats should be played on hats and snares to maintain the rhythm as well as a sad feel.
Is this thought right?
Not IMO. A "sad" feel may be best with no drums at all, or just a hi-hat or sidestick marking the beats.
The more that drums copy an off-beat or syncopated rhythm on a guitar, the more like a riff it will sound - which can be a good thing, but maybe not for a "sad" tune or section!

Your best guide is really to find some songs with the same kind of mood you're looking for, and see how the drums are handled on those songs. Start listening to music analytically. You've probably heard the sound you want before, you just can't remember the details because you weren't paying attention! (It didn't matter then.) So - find it again and pay attention!
Quote by jongtr
Not IMO. A "sad" feel may be best with no drums at all, or just a hi-hat or sidestick marking the beats.
The more that drums copy an off-beat or syncopated rhythm on a guitar, the more like a riff it will sound - which can be a good thing, but maybe not for a "sad" tune or section!

Your best guide is really to find some songs with the same kind of mood you're looking for, and see how the drums are handled on those songs. Start listening to music analytically. You've probably heard the sound you want before, you just can't remember the details because you weren't paying attention! (It didn't matter then.) So - find it again and pay attention!

You're absolutely right bro, actually first half is a sad theme the second half Motivational theme. Thanks bro again for everything