Hi guys, I want to replace the neck pick up on a guitar I have but I'm struggling for ideas, the guitar in question is a mahogany body guitar, with an ebony fretboard. It's a HH configuration and has coil split option. It also has an active circuit which can be turned on and off via a toggle switch, I'm pretty sure it's a passive circuit though. The stock pick up is quite muddy and lacks definition and clarity, I like a warm tone from the neck, but it has to sound organic. Any suggestions would be great. Cheers
INDIE SEMI HOLLOW DOUBLE CUT CUSTOM FOR SALE!!

IBANEZ S470 WITH MIRICLE MAN ADY SD JB PICK-UPS FOR SALE!!

PEAVEY VALVEKING 112 COMBO FOR SALE!!!

PM IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!
What amp do you currently use?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
what's your budget, and what guitar is it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Budget is about £100 guys, this guitar is by a British company called indie, the model is tribal extreme custom. Amp wide I use a blackstar s1-45 combo or if I'm feeling lazy I use my pod 500x straight into a PA.
INDIE SEMI HOLLOW DOUBLE CUT CUSTOM FOR SALE!!

IBANEZ S470 WITH MIRICLE MAN ADY SD JB PICK-UPS FOR SALE!!

PEAVEY VALVEKING 112 COMBO FOR SALE!!!

PM IF YOU ARE INTERESTED!!
I recommend a SD 59 or a Seth Lover. Both can be had with 4 conductor.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What amp do you currently use?
Why is this always asked? Just 'cause people are anxiously waiting to say "get a new amp first". This thread is about pickups. I can see it's not the case this time but if someone has a substandard amp (matter of opinion) but wants to have an awesome guitar, let them.
These go to eleven...
What sounds are you trying to emulate?
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar at #33624275

Why is this always asked? Just 'cause people are anxiously waiting to say "get a new amp first". This thread is about pickups. I can see it's not the case this time but if someone has a substandard amp (matter of opinion) but wants to have an awesome guitar, let them.

It doesn't affect me at all whatever they choose to do either way. But if people ask for my opinion, that's what they'll get.

It might be a cliche thing to ask on this forum, but it exists as a cliche for a reason. Spending $100 on new pickups to improve the tone of your overall rig when your amp sucks results in serious bottlenecking. It is not a cost-effective way to gain an improvement in your overall sound, which is what threads like this are all about at the end of the day. And the people who make these threads tend to be people who cannot afford to be wasteful with their money.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 5, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

It might be a cliche thing to ask on this forum, but it exists as a cliche for a reason. Spending $100 on new pickups to improve the tone of your overall rig when your amp sucks results in serious bottlenecking. It is not a cost-effective way to gain an improvement in your overall sound, which is what threads like this are all about at the end of the day. And the people who make these threads tend to be people who cannot afford to be wasteful with their money.
Understood
These go to eleven...
yeah i agree with T00DEEPBLUE- I appreciate it can get annoying, and anything we say is merely advice rather than "you must do this!"- it's always the TS's money and totally his/her call as to what is actually purchased. But if you ask us what we think, we're going to give our opinion. It's up to the TS whether to follow our advice or not- and really the best way is to take on the advice given and then make up his/her own mind, since we're not privy to the TS's exact situation, his/her preferences, etc. etc.

(The irony of course being that once you have that better amp you often find you still want better pickups, maybe even more than before )

But yeah if you tell us what type of tone(s) and music you want to play, we can help more.

Any reason you don't want to swap the bridge pickup? (If you like it just fine that's great, just wondering.) The £100 is just for the neck pickup, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

Any reason you don't want to swap the bridge pickup? (If you like it just fine that's great, just wondering.) The £100 is just for the neck pickup, right?
Yeah, for 100 notes you can get a nice set. Especially from Irongear, I can vouch for them. They will be ten times better than the stock Indie ones.
These go to eleven...
yeah the problem is you might think you like the bridge pickup now but once you have a better neck pickup in there it might show up the bridge one. Not guaranteed, of course, but it's certainly possible.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?