I have a Squier Bass VI

I want to add a Roller Buzz Stop to increase string tension, will such item actually increase string tension?

Secondly, I want to use my favorite set of Elixirs on this bass. Length wise they seem to fit the bass even if it is a short scale, but the tuning pegs for the lowest two strings seem to be too small to accept the strings.

Is it possible to redrill the head stock for new regular sized bass machine heads without doing critical damage to the headstock(as it, causing it to be too flimsy and break from the pressure)? I understand that I will likely have to fill some of the old tuning peg holes and place the new tuning pegs in a slightly different place, but is it at all possible?

The reason I want this is because I dont like most Bass VI strings offered on the market.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Last edited by Guitar0player at Oct 4, 2015,
Quote by Deliriumbassist
What gauge are your favourite Elixirs?

I currently have .110 La Bellas on it, but I seriously dislike them. I actually kinda dislike all non coated bass strings. Feel wise, sound wise and life expectancy wise.

Also, the stock tuning pegs are not only too small to fit the strings on them but are too small to wrap the strings around them.

The La Bellas are a lot more tapered towards the end of the string.
Quote by Guitar0player

I want to add a Roller Buzz Stop to increase string tension, will such item actually increase string tension?

No, it won't.

String tension has to be at a certain level to produce the note you want from the string gauge you're using, and tossing a "Buzz Stop" or a string tree (at the other end, which does the same thing for the nut that the Buzz Stop does for the bridge) can't change that. Nor are you changing the string LENGTH (as you might if you changed a stop tailpiece for a trapeze). In short, all you're doing is changing the angle at which the strings come off the bridge and keeping them (and the rollers) from buzzing (assuming that they DO buzz now).
Quote by dspellman
No, it won't.

String tension has to be at a certain level to produce the note you want from the string gauge you're using, and tossing a "Buzz Stop" or a string tree (at the other end, which does the same thing for the nut that the Buzz Stop does for the bridge) can't change that. Nor are you changing the string LENGTH (as you might if you changed a stop tailpiece for a trapeze). In short, all you're doing is changing the angle at which the strings come off the bridge and keeping them (and the rollers) from buzzing (assuming that they DO buzz now).

Oh, thank you! The strings dont buzz anyway so I guess the Buzz stop is out of the picture completely. Thank you again.