Page 1 of 5
I'll have roughly 3k AUD when I arrive on my own. It will be 1 month until I can find a job. (my working visa takes a month to process). I'm considering a hotel but it's way too much of a drain on my funds. I'm leaving in two weeks.

I'm gonna have to science the shit out of this... :\
Anyone know any way to survive under these circumstances? I'm thinking of asking to stay in a hotel and pay 1 months to try and get it a little cheaper. I heard there are hostels but... I don't know I've never done anything like this. And ffs don't be asking why. It's not important.

Getting ridiculously nervous about this. It's stupid of course, but I'm 24 and this is something I have to do or I'll regret it the rest of my life. Even if it doesn't work out for me, I have to try. And that's what I'm gonna do. Any advice?
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Just curb crawl around St. Kilda train station.

In all honesty though try couch surfing. I've never been to Melbourne so I don't know what residency costs but yeah.
Last edited by DardySon at Oct 4, 2015,
going to some random country without a gameplan set already is not a good idea

also isnt 3000 aud not very much
ggg1 ggg3

Well 3000k AUD for a month until I can work. I'd find work within one month.

If there's anyone out there that can help...
I'd have to know people in order to couch surf right? Is there some kind of craigslist for AUD I can use to find a place? Something like that? I'd be traveling relatively light.
Quote by LivinJoke84
I cant be naked. I have a huge fear of leaving a stain wherever i sit. Especially if its really warm
Quote by Phazon
Well 3000k AUD for a month until I can work. I'd find work within one month.

If there's anyone out there that can help...
I'd have to know people in order to couch surf right? Is there some kind of craigslist for AUD I can use to find a place? Something like that? I'd be traveling relatively light.

Just google couch surfing it should match you up with people people also craigslist for Australia is used exclusively by prostitutes so use at your own risk.
Quote by DardySon
Just google couch surfing it should match you up with people people also craigslist for Australia is used exclusively by prostitutes so use at your own risk.

Or start working as a prostitute.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal at #33623201

One man's risk is another man's opportunity
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by slapsymcdougal

That's what I meant when I said curb crawl the St. Kilda train station.
Quote by DardySon
That's what I meant when I said curb crawl the St. Kilda train station.

Kerb crawling is what johns do, not the working gurlz.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Kerb crawling is what johns do, not the working gurlz.

And this is why you will always be my bottom bitch Slapsy. You know how to rake in the money.
Couchsurfing! I hope to god this works out for me
Quote by LivinJoke84
Go sit on a camping. 10-15 aud per night.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
What are you going to do down there Phazon? I was rejected for an immigration Visa to Australia in the mid-80's (no "skills").

$3000 Aussie is worth about $17 American!
Heh, I plan to make good on a promise I made this girl I met. I plan to find work. I'm getting a Working Visa subclass. But since I'm going on short notice I'm getting one electronic. Should approve in like a day. It's called an ETA. Electronic Travel Authority. I'm hoping to get that to make the trip, while my working visa (which will take about a month) gets processed.
Quote by LivinJoke84
The ETSA is usually approved within 24-48 hours. You'll get an email. No visa or additional documents needed besides your passport.

I was in Melbourne last year. It's a gorgeous place! Make sure to check out ETTO pasta in South Bank.

Coincidentally I am on vacation in LA right now. Also gorgeous. I would like to live here and in Melbourne at the SAME TIME

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Really? What do you like about LA?
Quote by LivinJoke84
Quote by Phazon
Really? What do you like about LA?

The canyons, Angeles forest, Malibu, the beaches (all with their unique qualities), the architecture, the people, variety of culture, decent nightlife, really great food hubs, strong car culture, etc etc. The traffic and parking is awful, but it is way more pleasant to be stuck in than POS DC metro area.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
$3000 will buy you a sandwich.

Also you probably won't find work in a month, the job market here has crashed with the rest of the economy.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
$3000 will buy you a sandwich.

Also you probably won't find work in a month, the job market here has crashed with the rest of the economy.

Yeah no.

I've got enough experience to land even a shit job. Especially with the holidays coming up I know they'll be hiring. Even if it's not in my field of work/experience
Quote by LivinJoke84
Quote by Phazon
Yeah no.

I've got enough experience to land even a shit job. Especially with the holidays coming up I know they'll be hiring. Even if it's not in my field of work/experience

Yea don't listen to the guy that lives here
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by jambi_mantra
Yea don't listen to the guy that lives here

Alright then. Everything I'm going to attempt is futile and I'll starve to death. There?

I'll dig holes for cash ffs...
Quote by LivinJoke84
As someone who has traveled and lived in other places and been to Melbourne several times I have a two questions and some advice...

What sort of work are you looking for?

How long are you planning on staying?

Advice:
$3k is peanuts, Melbourne is expensive

Hostels are fine and in fact the only way you're gonna last in Melbourne with $3k for a month with 0 income. You'll get to meet like minded travelers there and its way cheaper than a Hotel.

Getting a bank account is not so easy so try to organise that before you go.
Quote by Phazon
Alright then. Everything I'm going to attempt is futile and I'll starve to death. There?

I'll dig holes for cash ffs...

I don't care what you do. All I'm saying is that $3k is nothing here and assuming you'll get a job in a month is incredibly naiive given the state of the economy here. So you should probably have a back up plan or 2.

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
3000 aud for 1 month? good luck not dying
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Is it really that ridiculous? I'll only spend about $400 worth of food in a month. I don't plan on going out. 1 month of straight job searching in literally ANY place. Even if I don't, I sell stuff on eBay/amazon and will be able to pull an extra $500 a month from home. I'm not trying to go experience and... stuff. Be it taking an apprenticeship, charity work, etc, I know this is possible.
This is straight up survival. And now it looks like I have a few options of a free place to stay.
I'll be shooting for electrical contractors as I have 4 years experience in that field and am pretty good at what I do. Besides that I've got good experience with administrative stuff. Worked in the office, purchasing department for the electrical contractor, supplying the workers on the field with the right type of material, working with electrical plans/schematics/etc, dealing with billing/invoices, change orders, getting quotes, etc. Ffs I'm not writing a resume here. Anyway...

Leaves me to ask, if I find a free place to see. Exactly what the hell do you guys think I'll be doing that I'll blow $3,000 easy in 1 month?
Quote by LivinJoke84
Last edited by Phazon at Oct 4, 2015,
I survived in London for a month on £4.36. Rice and potatoes every day when I wasn't stealing fruit from outside fruit grocers. Its do-able but not fun. Thank God I eventually found work.
I don't really have any input here, but you spend 400 dollars on food a month? That's a lot.

I mean maybe you pay more where you live or only eat like organic stuff, but I spend like 150-200 a month.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by eGraham
I don't really have any input here, but you spend 400 dollars on food a month? That's a lot.

I mean maybe you pay more where you live or only eat like organic stuff, but I spend like 150-200 a month.

I'm overestimating of course. Since everyone thinks it's crazy to survive for a month on 3k.
I'm including Myki trips. I'll be able to search for work online and travel around. It's gonne be crunch time for me. And I'm already on a diet so I should be good in terms of consumption.
Quote by LivinJoke84
Australia has heaps of bureaucracy when it comes to working tradie type stuff. I'd start googling what license/permits if any you may need. No joke, they are really anal about this sort of stuff.

Job searching without the "required certs" will get you nowhere. Employers won't even look at you. Good luck
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Oct 4, 2015,
Quote by Rebel Scum
Australia has heaps of bureaucracy when it comes to working tradie type stuff. I'd start googling what license/permits if any you may need. No joke, they are really anal about this sort of stuff.

Job searching without the "required certs" will get you nowhere. Employers won't even look at you. Good luck

That's why I don't expect to find work on my required field. At least for the first couple months I'm there. This is strictly... survival.
Quote by LivinJoke84
Quote by Xiaoxi
The canyons, Angeles forest, Malibu, the beaches (all with their unique qualities), the architecture, the people, variety of culture, decent nightlife, really great food hubs, strong car culture, etc etc. The traffic and parking is awful, but it is way more pleasant to be stuck in than POS DC metro area.

have you checked out getty villa yet?

Quote by Pastafarian96
I an evety characyer in this story
Quote by Phazon
That's why I don't expect to find work on my required field. At least for the first couple months I'm there. This is strictly... survival.

Yeah but the solution could be as simple as just doing a day course for like $120 to get the cert. Its dumb but that's 'straya.
Quote by Rebel Scum
Yeah but the solution could be as simple as just doing a day course for like $120 to get the cert. Its dumb but that's 'straya.

Heh, then maybe I'd probably blow through several courses then. My current visa the ETA, allows me to study for 3 months.
Quote by LivinJoke84
Survival? I thought this about about some promise to a girl or something.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Phazon
Heh, then maybe I'd probably blow through several courses then. My current visa the ETA, allows me to study for 3 months.

Its not that sort of course. Its basically a one day lecture and open book test that no one could possibly fail. There would be 0 visa implications.
This reminds me of a post on reddit where a guy came to NYC with literally $50, no job and no place to stay asking how he could survive. I have no sympathy for people who dumb shit like this. Go home before you end up begging on the street.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by rockingamer2
Survival? I thought this about about some promise to a girl or something.

Yeah survival of the human race obviously.
This might be the dumbest thing I've read in awhile. You'll be a US born Aussie bum in 7-10 days, and you'll regret your urge to have this experience.

Also, $3000 in Australian currency is about $2100 US. Not so bad, but yeah............Melbourne looks pricy.
Rent Per Month Avg.
Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre 1,666.02 A$ 1,335.47-1,900.00
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre 1,317.92 A$ 1,086.00-1,500.00
Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre 3,218.53 A$ 2,300.00-4,000.00
Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre 2,052.70 A$ 1,600.00-2,600.00
Last edited by bdof at Oct 5, 2015,
Quote by bdof
This might be the dumbest thing I've read in awhile. You'll be a US born Aussie bum in 7-10 days, and you'll regret your urge to have this experience.

Also, $3000 in Australian currency is about $2100 US. Not so bad, but yeah............Melbourne looks pricy.
Rent Per Month Avg.
Apartment (1 bedroom) in City Centre 1,666.02 A$ 1,335.47-1,900.00
Apartment (1 bedroom) Outside of Centre 1,317.92 A$ 1,086.00-1,500.00
Apartment (3 bedrooms) in City Centre 3,218.53 A$ 2,300.00-4,000.00
Apartment (3 bedrooms) Outside of Centre 2,052.70 A$ 1,600.00-2,600.00

Hoping to get a roommate. Also I have since got more funds from family. Outside the city of course. Basically the cheapest place possible. Keep in mind I'm not going to be blowing my money like crazy. I'll cut every corner possible. I have extra funds though. I think I'll be able to survive for at least a month
Quote by LivinJoke84
Page 1 of 5