I have a roland microcube which uses a 4 ohm roland speaker.

I ordered a speaker replacement and unfortunately it came to me, 8 ohms, even though the size is perfect and frequency range is good. Tested the speaker with another amp and it works nicely.

The replacement speaker is also roland, but different model.

I have 2 options.

1. Use it as it is in the microcube, and put up with slightly less volume. Safe mismatch.
2. Attach a dummy load 8 ohm resistor rated for 3watts and wire it in parallel to bring the overall impedance down to 4 ohms.

What I am asking is, would option 2 result in louder volume since i brought the impedance down to 4 ohms, or option 1 would still be louder than option 2 or remain the same?

How much volume drop do i have to expect using a safe mismatch 8ohm speaker to 4 ohm solid state amp ?
Option 2 wouldn't be any louder because while the over all impedance is half, only half of the power is going through a speaker. The other half is being lost in the dummy load.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
^+1
you need a 4ohm speaker to get the most out of your amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
OK I tested the new 8 ohm speaker directly with the mc.

I couldn't tell the difference in volume. At full blast, both the old and new speaker are about the same level of loudness.

But i then realized this new speaker is actually smaller than my mc speaker.

Turns out...the reason I was sent the wrong speaker which is 8 ohm, it's meant for the microcube RX...

Grrrrr...