I was trying to daisy chain my three pedals off one 9v 350 ma supply and it can not keep up with my pedals. I was looking on ebay and found a 9v 1A power supply but I am worried that that might be to much. As I understand as long as it has the correct voltage it will only draw the current it needs.
I also have a 14V 1500ma power supply but did not dare try and daisy chain because of the extra voltage. Do you think I could run it off 14V? I really don't want to be replacing pedals that I already purchased. I also don't want to pay 120 dollars for a power brick.
Thanks.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
I'd suggest getting something that is purpose built to power pedals. Pedals usually can run on different amperage. The one specified on the back of pedals or in manuals is supposedly their peak amperage(100 mA, 300 mA) and ETC but unless the pedals in question are specifically designed to operate at higher voltage than 9V I dont think it's a good idea to charge them with 14 volts.

I got a Trex Chameleon power supply.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
A 9v 1 amp supply should be fine but you may get hum when daisy chaining. Better to get an isolated supply brick to be sure.

Do not use the 14v supply. They don't put 9v on pedals just because they think it looks nice when printed.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
I've started using cheap <$5 switchmode supplies from ebay. I normally have to cut the wire and switch the polarity but I'm running my GT100 on a 2A one. Want an isolated supply for say a fuzzface? Just buy another one. They're pretty small, esp the 1A ones.
Go for a supply say 50% to 100% bigger than you need in current - but stick with 9V ones.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Many pedals do not like different voltages than what is regulated on themselves. Some do though. Best not to try it. mAmps are fine as long as the supply unit can put out more than the pedals take. Although some pedals like the Hardwire units require high mA currents upon start up. Make sure you don't have pedals like that. :p

Get a 1-Spot and a connect the chain to it. I presume your pedals are all center-negative on the plug.
I use Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus which has 8 outputs and all of them are isolated so no background hiss from the power.
Gear
Schecter Synyster Gates Custom-S
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez RG370DXL w/SD Invaders and a hot rail
Tanglewood acoustic
Marshall JVM410H
+a lot of pedals!
My PedalPad came with an on board supply. I just have to run a OneSpot with a Line 6 adapter out of the 115V output of the supply to power my DL4 to get the proper 9V 1500mA.
Gibson RD Silverburst w/ Lace Dissonant Aggressors (SOLD)
Electra Omega Prime Ceruse
Fender Franken-Jag Bass

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Seismic Luke 2x12
Dunlop 105Q Wah
Gojira FX 808
Line 6 M9
I use an old MXR brick and a cioks DC5 to supply my pedals. I'm assuming that you are using the equipment in your signature. I believe that a 350mA power supply should keep up with your pedals so check them individually for other problems. Both MXR pedals should work with less than 50 mA and leaving plenty of current for the Digitech. I am not sure about the Metal Master current draw but I believe that 300mA should be more than enough.
Ya, what I have in my sig is what I have. I was doing fine until I added the chorus pedal and it sucked the life out of all the others. That chorus pedal must use some juice as far as all my other pedals go.
ESP Iron Cross Sig model, Fernandes RetroRocket Sunburst, Taylor 214CE, Peavey XXX Super 40, DimeBag Crybaby from Hell, Zakk Wylde Overdrive, MXR Chorus, and a Flashback Delay and Looper.
Throwing in a vote for the good old One Spot. I use one on both my Bass and 6 string Guitar rigs. Never had a hiss or noise issue and I play loud sometimes.
Harmony: Stratocaster
Alvarez: F-200
Schecter: Omen 6
Fender: BXR-60
Dean: Metalman Z Bass (Betty)
Egnator: Tweaker 15
Pearl: Maximum
ESP/LTD: EXP-300
Custom: Harley Quinn Bass
Custom: TK-421 Explorer
A steadily growing supply of pedals
I am just going to have to do without my wah until my new power supply arrives. I have also noticed my Digitech pedal will not accept my daisy chain connector for some reason or another.
Pedals don't draw more current when they are given a higher rated adapter. Isolated supplies are the way forward though. Personally, I use a Cioks DC10 because it can supply higher current levels. There are lots of good manufacturers of isolated supplies. I would advise looking for one that fits your voltage and current needs.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I used to use an MXR DC Brick, but after I got my first Strymon pedal, it was causing a high-pitched noise and that wasn't going to cut it anymore. Now I use a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2+. Only downside is the 8 plugs. For a little more money, you could get a True Tone power supply that has 12 isolated plugs and 18V capability. Check Reverb.com for used power supplies to save money.

You could get a DC Power Brick for less than $100 used and it'll probably work for you if you're not using a bunch of digital pedals.
Fender '72 Telecaster Deluxe RI
Schecter C-1 Artist II
1978 Music Man HD130
+ a bunch of neat pedals

screamy emo band
I use a 12 way 1U rack mount server tower supply, Fitted under my board and use all the original power supplies that come with the pedals. Think I paid something like 25 quid on fee bay.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.
BBE supa-charger, 1spots, and power out off of my pitchblack tuner.

They all serve their purpose.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
+3 TrueTone Ones Spot (formerly Visual Sound) into my SKB F8 footnote pedalboard with speaker or daisy chain them.. if I use the EHX English Muffin or Black Finger, I need to use the proprietary power supply (has different connector plug).
Last edited by psp742 at Oct 8, 2015,
I use a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus.
Daisy chain can work good, but some pedals don't work well together when the power is daisy chained.

Ok, this sort of question comes up A LOT.
Here is a compilation of posts I have made on another forum on this subject.
So some things may be repeated. I may edit and make this more concise at some point, but not tonight.
But it will tell you more than you will ever need to know about powering pedals.

Supplying less than the manufacturers stated current draw (mA) will generally cause no problems for the effect, it just won't operate properly.
It can however cause problem for the power supply.
A pedal will try to draw the current it needs to operate properly, if the power supply can't supply enough current, it could overheat.

And current and voltage are different things.
NEVER go over stated voltage levels without checking with the manufacturer.
Some dirt pedals for instance, can run just fine on anything from 9 - 18 volts.

Digital tends to be pickier than analog with regards to voltage levels.

If you plug a pedal into a power supply that has a max current output rating of less than the pedal needs, you could damage the power supply.
For example, if the power supply is only capable of supplying 100 mA and the pedal draws 150 mA, that could cause problems for the power supply.
The pedal won't work properly and you may overheat the power supply.

On the other hand, if the power supply is capable of putting out 150mA, and the pedal needs less than that, you are good.

Myself, I consider it good practice to keep max current draw from a power supply at around 75% - 80% of the power supply's max rating.
Like if the maximum current output of the power supply outlet is 100mA, try to keep the current draw of all the pedals that are hooked up to that connection combined, around 75 - 80 mA.

mA rating on a pedal indicates how much power (in mA) that pedal needs to operate properly.
The mA rating on a power supply indicates the maximum amount of power/current it is capable of supplying.
So technically, if you have a power supply outlet that is rated at 400mA, you can put 4 pedals that draw 100mA each (or 1 at 400mA).
Although, speaking for myself, I prefer to keep the current draw below the maximum rating of the power supply (usually around 75% or so).

As said above, voltage is another matter.
As is polarity.

If a pedal is rated at +9 volts, don't plug a +12 volt power supply into it (Some can handle it though. Check with the manufacturer).
And watch for +9 volts and -9 volts. They are different.
And to further confuse you, AC power and DC power are different.

The majority of pedals are +9Vdc (+9 Volts DC) though.
So you probably won't run into a -9Vdc pedal with a power jack often (though they do exist).

Last edited by CodeMonk at Oct 6, 2015,
I cannot find a mA spec for the pedals in the owners manual. It says voltage just not ma. Is there a general rule that a pedal uses?
Last edited by tysona23 at Oct 6, 2015,
I have an MMA lady offstage pedaling a bike with a generator.

I tried the hamsters. Even tried a squirrel. Got to a point where I could drop some premium nuts in there ("cashews! Shit!") for some extra overdrive.

On tour, however, entirely impractical. Had a couple of dancers "borrow" the hamsters for a drunken orgy and that was that. The squirrel itself was intensely focused, but seemed to distract everyone else.

The MMA fighter pays me for the training, and I pay her to be my bodyguard, so it's a wash. You just have to be wary when she's horny. She's waaaay too good with takedowns.
Quote by tysona23
I cannot find a mA spec for the pedals in the owners manual. It says voltage just not ma. Is there a general rule that a pedal uses?

Have a look here.
http://stinkfoot.se/power-list
There are even instructions on how to measure it yourself.

What pedal is it?
Name and type?

Ok here, from your list:
Just a guess here, but probably very close:
DimeBag Crybaby from Hell : 2mA
Zakk Wylde Overdrive : 12mA
MXR Chorus : 20mA (or less, the M234 is 13mA)
Metal Master Pedal 5.3mA (Had to calculate that from the info on the Digitech web page)
Last edited by CodeMonk at Oct 6, 2015,
According to that list my 300 mA supply should keep up just fine.
Voodoo Labs pedal power.
Fender HRD - LTD.
Epi Les Paul 100 series Lefty w/ SD HRD
Fender Mexi Tele - Lefty
Martin D45 lefty
BlueRidge BR- 160 - 12 Lefty
Ditto X2 Looper
Ibanez TS-9, FL 301('79)
MXR Carbon Copy, COMP
Fulltone OCD
EB VP Jr.
Quote by tysona23
According to that list my 300 mA supply should keep up just fine.

Quote by CodeMonk
Have a look here.
http://stinkfoot.se/power-list
There are even instructions on how to measure it yourself.

What pedal is it?
Name and type?

Ok here, from your list:
Just a guess here, but probably very close:
DimeBag Crybaby from Hell : 2mA
Zakk Wylde Overdrive : 12mA
MXR Chorus : 20mA (or less, the M234 is 13mA)

Metal Master Pedal 5.3mA (Had to calculate that from the info on the Digitech web page)
READ MY UPDATED INFORMATION ABOUT THE METAL MASTER PEDAL BELOW

With some new information I received (Been talking with Andres, who runs the stinkfoot website, and I emailed Digitech Tech support).....
Quote by Digitech Technical Support
The idle draw is around 95mA

"Idle Draw" means just sitting there, turned on but not being used.
Actually using it, it will draw a little more power.
So just to power that Metal Master pedal, you should have a power supply with at least 150mA output current capabilities.
Digitech recommends...
Robert, You should be able to run it on 300mA or higher.

So there ya go.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Oct 7, 2015,
I use an SKB pedal board that has a power source with multiple leads built into the board, it works great.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

For me the biggest issue I had while on tour with power supplies was durability and reliability. Sure, a DC brick has more outputs and is cheaper, but do you see that pansy ass cable it comes with? Poppycock. Voodoo labs takes the same kinda cable tour amp does, super thick and durable. And worst case scenario, any touring musician has spares of those out the ass. that specific one spot or dc brick cable? not a chance.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
SKB Footnote F8 Powered Amplified pedalboard (the 5-watt speaker is plenty loud / monitor). 8x 9volt pedal only
That is a nice setup. I don't know what everyone has against the Metal Master. I don't use it very much, but when I am feeling adventurous I find it entertaining to kick that thing on and start doing some palm mutes.
I think I am going to get one of those Chinese isolated power supplies off ebay. It says that 7 of the 9v outputs are 100ma max. Which kind of concerns me because of the idle draw of the pedals.
And why would you say that. Is says it is isolated. Are they liars?
Mostly, yes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Voodoo Labs 4x4 works for me
Fender Deluxe Ash Strat
Epiphone LP Custom Pro
Gretsch G5420T
Tokai Goldstar 1998
Fender GB Hot Rod Deluxe George Benson
Wampler, Red Witch, Mad Professor, TC Electronic
One Spot, $20, works great to power all the 9vdc on my board.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I ended up using my daisy chain and surge protector to power my 4 pedals. It is working fine for me right now. If I add another pedal I will have to upgrade.