Hi. Im looking to mod my yamaha pacifica 112v. Im mostly playing heavy rock/metal and pickups in this guitar are no so great for this. I alredy have a schecter for drop c im gonna keep this guitar as a e standard/drop d guitar

Overall i love the feel and the look of my pac, and seeling is not a option (gift from gf) but i want to make the best out of this guitar

Im mostly playing metallica/megadeth/anthrax/iron maiden/pantera

What i want is new pickup, maybe new pot/switch and im also looking for a new bridge/nut

As of pickup i need your knowledge for selecting some pickup for hard rock/metal. For the nut/bridge imhaving a hard time finding a quality bridge/nut that fit on these guitar, if you know any that would help
what's your budget for the pickups? do you just want the bridge pickup for the heavier stuff? what pickups does the schecter have- are you trying to get into that ballpark or do you want something that sounds a bit different?

i'm not sure about the bridge- your best bet might be to email some of the bigger hardware manufacturers (like gotoh) or one of their retailers to see what bridges they do which would be a direct swap.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
But is around 500$. I mostly play on the humbucker and i would love to keep my single coil for cleaner stuff.l. i was thinking about a duncan distortion but i dont know much about pickups... but i want to keep passives.

The schecter i got have a duncan jb/59 combo from when i buyed it.

What i want is s good distorded sound on the yamaha. I play on a vypyr vip2 but i find that the yamaha need more drive compared to the schecter before i tuned down
something high output like a seymour duncan's duncan designed import pickups are good on a budget such as the "Duncan designed hb-103" i think the model number perhaps the overseas version of the invader they make called the Detonator. Put the pickup close to the strings and you'll do fine. Speaking of strings for a darker sound try pure nickel strings (dunlop, fender , GHS). Another humbucker I'd recommend as I think you mentioned iron maiden is the dimarzio super distortion as I don't like to recommend signature pickups. But worry more about the tone you're not getting. not enough treble, bass ..etc. That is your #1 concern. Nothing wrong with buying used either.

stacked single coils go a long way like the cheap ones on ebay for 9-10$ each are hum cancelling and will give you the power in the positions you never thought were useful. My last strat build had like a 16 , 12 and 9k resistance in the pickups to KIND OF set the tone for what I was going for. A H/S/S configuration too. Dimarzio chopper, seymour duncan screamin' lil demon neck (expensive) and so forth. seymour duncan hot rail or cool rail depending. The hum cancelling stacked single coils are my go to as I despise 2 wire single coils. Plus if I want vintage sounds I can get them.

as far as wiring goes usually this is where I mention re-wiring the guitar to a 2 band EQ But since you've only got one tone knob perhaps a Fender TBX. Its standard tone and modded right there is a really useful bass cut I recommend. Idealistically you keep the knob at 5 as there is an indication when you're at 5. It costs 10$ and is extremely useful. If you know how to solder really well it's not too hard to do either.

switches and all though not much I'd change to be honest. The only time I'd ever swap a potentiometer or something is if it breaks or I cannot get rid of the noise.At this point in time though one suggestion is to try positive grid bias or a line 6 pod XT or higher to do serious tone chasing on a budget.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Oct 6, 2015,
a duncan distortion would probably work, assuming you like a fairly trebly, slightly gritty tone.

do you only use the bridge pickup for dirt? if so you can get lower output single coils for more versatility (or just keep your current pickups). Or you could swap the neck pickup to something a bit hotter, but keep a lower output middle pickup for cleans.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Is there any particular reason you want to change the bridge and nut?

Duncan Distortions are an obvious choice for metal. DiMarzio do a number of pickups that might suit you. It's largely down to personal tonal preference. If you decide to splash out, Bare Knuckle Nailbombs would probably go down a treat.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
I want to do a whole "quality treatment" to my pac. While they are great guitar for the price the nut is a cheap plastic one and the bridge is considered crap on these guitar. While i want to work on pickup wiring bla bla bla i tough nut/bridge would make a small but pleasant upgrade

As for pickup i mosly have duncan's in mind yet. But i eard the distortion bridge pups is to avoid for alder guitar
Graphtech tusq nuts are really nice, bone or brass if you want to go all out. But Tusq nuts worth checking out as they are used on many quality guitars. You can also get upgraded string trees too if there is any on it.

for the bridge gutarfetish would be a place to check out. But duncan designed pickups nothing wrong with them people just like the placebo of "USA made" so they can't blame their pickups "origin" for anything that goes wrong but it's like the website said it's some of their most popular pickups specs but Korean plants are making them which is why the cost is down. the body isn't plywood or basswood is the good news. I personally liked the Agathis body on the last pacifica I got. Sure it's wood used on yachts but still for under 200$ why not get/try the guitar.

this bridge with graphtech saddles perhaps , this tremolo or if you don't want to swap saddles try a roller saddle tremolo you break a lot less strings playing (not tuning). People loved roller saddles from when I used to sell them even the tuneomatic ones were popular.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/105mm-Chrome-Spaced-Import-Made-in-Mexico-BRASS-BLOCK_p_1158.html

as for the tone I still stand by the TBX instead of a standard tone control. I never use/like the idea of standard treble cutting tone controls no matter how small or big a capacitor is so the TBX is a good option as the 2nd portion of the way I do TBX eliminates noise at high gains.

copper shielding tape is another investment too. it's 2-4$ (us dollar) for about 3 meters worth (almost 10 feet) and you can do two guitars for a clearer sound. Switching capacitors and all is overkill on something you don't plan to play on stage. New tuners are an excellent start.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Oct 7, 2015,
I did these mods to mine...

http://www.yamahaforums.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=8324&sid=f09efaca4e12f81f4d237453ba8849a7

I can vouch for the GFS bridge, though I bought their steel saddles too - looks good but the sustain is awesome now, coupled with the Graphtech nut.

The pick-ups are IronGears from here in the UK, which I heard good things about and I really like them, much more raw that the SD Slash pick-ups I have in my Hohner Les Paul...check out their website for sound samples.

AG
Last edited by ag42 at Nov 17, 2015,