Hello everyone, this is my first post. I recently purchased a travel electric guitar that has front-facing machine heads, as seen attached to this post.

I would love to be able to replace them with something more compact that preferably doesn't stick out forward or backward (or really much at all, but I don't know of anything that fits the bill. This is where I'm hoping someone here will be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for your help.
You could get banjo-style tuners, except then they'll stick out sideways.

If the problem is that you're accidentally turning the tuners while trying to play, a more simple solution would be to build a small box that covers them.
thanks for the suggestion, that's definitely a good overlooked idea. My other interest in this is purely visual.