hey Ug
need a little help from the guitar players here.
i've picked up the guitar after a few years of not playing,been learning for 3 years (with teacher) and the farthest i got is playing 'nothing else matter' completly.
what can I do that will make improve from this post begginer level?
I do play fingerstyle,know all the chords and played many songs that are easy-meduim level but could never play stuff like stairway to heaven's solo level.what can I do ,most of the answers i got were,practise hard and play what you love,but i need more cause the reason i stopped playing was being stuck without improving.what can I do?
I think you should learn scales- the solos are based on scales. also if you want to learn new things by your self you need basic knowledge in theory - it makes you understand what you're playing and learn new kinds of chords, and this really helped me to improve a lot in a quite short period comparatively.
good luck! :-)
Quote by hadareden
I think you should learn scales- the solos are based on scales. also if you want to learn new things by your self you need basic knowledge in theory - it makes you understand what you're playing and learn new kinds of chords, and this really helped me to improve a lot in a quite short period comparatively.
good luck! :-)

thanks!
any more advise?
Break the long winded solo into sections and learn one measure by one measure. It takes time but is worth it. Just be patient.
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

Quote by amittima25
hey Ug
need a little help from the guitar players here.
i've picked up the guitar after a few years of not playing,been learning for 3 years (with teacher) and the farthest i got is playing 'nothing else matter' completly.
what can I do that will make improve from this post begginer level?
I do play fingerstyle,know all the chords and played many songs that are easy-meduim level but could never play stuff like stairway to heaven's solo level.what can I do ,most of the answers i got were,practise hard and play what you love,but i need more cause the reason i stopped playing was being stuck without improving.what can I do?

The secret trick to getting good at guitar is time and talent - practice at least 2 hours or more per day. The rest is semantics.
Practice is key here - you will improve with practice. You also must want to improve... e.g. if you say you can't play the solo, look at why.

You'll be able to play it if you play 2 notes at a time and add another 2 to it each day for the next year.

You'll be able to play it faster if you listen to it, identify the scale it's in, get a feel for the scale and how to reproduce a sound you here.... you get where I'm going here... just crank the song up and jam to it for a full day, it'll come.
Quote by reverb66
The secret trick to getting good at guitar is time and talent - practice at least 2 hours or more per day. The rest is semantics.

I respectfully disagree. A clear majority of guitar players lose focus after the 2 hour mark and just start noodling aimlessly. I think that the 2 hours is a good amount if you can keep your motivation up enough to go through with it daily. But I'd definitely say that 30 minutes of good, focused practice will yield great results, and taking a break every now and then is only beneficil. Pushing yourself to practice over 2h each day might burn you out fast.
Quote by Jet Penguin
Theory: Not rules, just tools.

Quote by Hail
*note that by fan i mean that guy who wants his friends to know he knows this totally obscure hip band that only he knows about with 236 views on youtube. lookin' at Kev here
Quote by Juice Face
What exactly is it about that solo that is giving you trouble?

I am learning it, and it is the quick pull offs that give me trouble
learn all your music by ear

use a slow-down program like Transcribe! and use trial and error until you get it. and even then you'll probably only get 70% of your notes and chords right until you play it over the actual song and realize you're completely wrong, then back to the drawing board

do this for a few dozen songs and the technique will come naturally. it might take a few years depending on how much you want it and how fast you learn, but your real music education won't begin until you take this important step
modes are a social construct
Get a good teacher. There's little substitute for having someone keep your momentum up, setting new tasks each week, challenging you and fixing technical issues along the way.
Quote by Kevätuhri
I respectfully disagree. A clear majority of guitar players lose focus after the 2 hour mark and just start noodling aimlessly. I think that the 2 hours is a good amount if you can keep your motivation up enough to go through with it daily. But I'd definitely say that 30 minutes of good, focused practice will yield great results, and taking a break every now and then is only beneficil. Pushing yourself to practice over 2h each day might burn you out fast.

Agreed and disagreed. Very early on in my playing I could go like 3-4 hours sometimes, but definitely now there is no way I can do more than 2 hours. I usually get burned out after an hour, and very very rarely I can manage 2 hours. It also depends what I'm doing with my time. Generally if I'm writing something that's when I can play the longest without getting burned out. If I'm grinding away at some cover song, however, then it happens much quicker.

At the end of the day it varies for each person, and I suppose it has to do with how motivated and inspired you might be at the time. As time has went on I find it harder to get motivated and inspired, so I'm happy if i can put in 30 minutes a day. I don't want to force the guitar upon myself. There's no reason I should want to play if I'm not enjoying it.