Hello everyone!

A friend of mine and I have been talking about recording ourselves and put a few covers on YouTube. I am using a guild western guitar, sometimes plugged into an amp, sometimes not, and my friend is using an acoustic Martin. (Not sure if this play any role in terms of getting the right equipment).

I have been looking at the Zoom Q8 but I'm not too satisfied with the mic that comes with it, at least on the YouTube demo videos. I have a GoPro Hero 4 Silver Edition so my question is - what would be the smartest? A Zoom H6 recording video with a GoPro or getting the Q8 and an external mic - and if, which?

I am open to any suggestions - I basically just need ideas for recording equipment.
It depends what you want to record exactly. Personally I'd like to get as much sound isolation as possible so for acoustic guitars it would probably mean two condenser mics and if you're singing it would probably mean more mics.

I think you already have the video cam so you need the audio part only? It might be easier to record via PC or you want a dedicated recorder?

I'd probably settle for multimic solution which will either be DAW or some kind of digital multitracker. Then I'll edit the video and sound on PC.
Quote by diabolical

I'd probably settle for multimic solution which will either be DAW or some kind of digital multitracker. Then I'll edit the video and sound on PC.

This.
Personally, I'd record the video with the gopro and record audio with a mic or two plugged into my PC. After that, just combine it in some video editing software (even Windows Movie Maker or iMovie should do).
Hi!

Thanks for your input. Do you plug the mics into the via a standard USB cable or the square-ones? The GoPro should do the job fine :-)
Thanks again.
The way I do videos is record with a cam which has sound and record on my DAW via my computer interface.
Then in video editing software I import the sound from the DAW and the sound and video from the cam, use the cam and DAW sounds to sync up the picture, then dump the cam sound and I am left with the cam video footage synced to the perfectly recorded DAW audio.

I use iMovie on Mac and/or Movie Studio (the light edition of Vegas) by Sony.
Quote by diabolical
The way I do videos is record with a cam which has sound and record on my DAW via my computer interface.
Then in video editing software I import the sound from the DAW and the sound and video from the cam, use the cam and DAW sounds to sync up the picture, then dump the cam sound and I am left with the cam video footage synced to the perfectly recorded DAW audio.

I use iMovie on Mac and/or Movie Studio (the light edition of Vegas) by Sony.

Okay - thanks a lot! I'll have a look on which mic to buy soon.
Hmm. Don't you need a mic to record? How do you record directly to your DAW software? Can you recommend any DAWs?
Quote by nik190198
Hmm. Don't you need a mic to record? How do you record directly to your DAW software? Can you recommend any DAWs?

Either direct with built in emulation in your DAW or by miking your amp. You need audio interface and a PC workstation running some kind of DAW software.

I like Studio One. There's also Reaper, Mixcraft, Cubase, Tracktion and so forth.
Not sure what your computer is, Windows or Mac? if its a Mac, I would go with apogee, they are the best company for recording in my view. I ahve a Mic96k, it plugs into the usb port on your computer, great sound easy to use, you can mic your acoustic guitar that way. hope this helps
Quote by jemukjs
Not sure what your computer is, Windows or Mac? if its a Mac, I would go with apogee, they are the best company for recording in my view. I ahve a Mic96k, it plugs into the usb port on your computer, great sound easy to use, you can mic your acoustic guitar that way. hope this helps

Hi again!

Do you know if there is a mic like the Mic96k for Windows? And I can use this mic, plug it in the USB port and directly import to Studio One? This is how it should work right?
There are many hundreds of free guitar lessons and as you can imagine it takes quite a lot of work and to put it all together. Hence joining the best guitar classes in Nagpur will help you get the best lessons of it.For more details,visit http://xfactornagpur.com/guitar-classes-in-nagpur/
Last edited by xfactornagpur at Dec 9, 2015,
Get yourself a real condenser mic that is guitar specific such as the DPA 4099 for close miking and and an AKG C-414 in omni for your room sound. Then get yourself really good mic pres (API, Neve, SSL, 500 series, etc) and a really good AD/DA interface with no less than 24/96kHz conversion. Always record your vocals after you track your guitar so that you have as much control as possible (i.e. you can have great vocal take with a bad guitar track or vice versa, but you will have to discard both regardless) I always recommend using a mac with Logic Pro as my go to DAW for tracking and content creation and then use Pro Tools in post (if you must, but you really don't have to).