Just got my Mesa Roadster today and need some advice from other Mesa owners on how to get better tone on the distorted channels. It would save alot of time with the proper settings instead of just messing around aimlessly. What settings do you guys use for your distorted channels? Also I have no tube screamer atm I want to play at low volumes so keep that in mind. Also need some insight on the controls on the back of the amp as well. Thank you
What's the problem? Where would you like your town to improve? I personally think Mesas need to be nice and loud to get a great tone from them. Yea it sounds GOOD softer, but nothing special. It takes on the same characteristics of all tube amps around that point. Give it some more volume and you can really hear the details and characters of each channel.

You still need to do this all on your own, it's part of learning your new amp and what you like and don't like about it. If you don't experiment you will have no idea what you like, what you might like more, or what you might hate. You gotta use your ear. Not my ear or someone elses ear, but your ear.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Not really much to do there, just put gain on around 7, master on around 2 and try the different voicings, then you have 3 eq controls and resonance. If you have active pickups you probably can do it without an overdrive. I get great thrash tones on the vintage setting on my Mesa Mini playing around those settings.
I'm getting better tones since messing around with the settings a bit. The statement about the amp sounding better at higher volumes is very true, but I also want to get the best sound I can at bedroom levels too.
Quote by death93
I'm getting better tones since messing around with the settings a bit. The statement about the amp sounding better at higher volumes is very true, but I also want to get the best sound I can at bedroom levels too.

"Best" is nearly impossible to describe. We don't even know what you want, just a subjective adjective. Do you wanna sound like Bullet for my Valentine or Joe Bonononoonasmanono? Taylor Swift or A Day to Remember. Work through it. start with everything at noon and see what you can do with the tweaking.

Odds are what you like at stage volumes wont be the same at bedroom volumes, and most definitely vice versa.
Splawn Street Rod
H&K Tubemeister 5
Line 6 G90 System

Gibson SG Standard
Godin Radiator
Dillion 653 GA/3CT
Seagull Coastline s6
New Music on Spotify
Welcome to the club!!!!

You did not buy a Marshall or Peavey so you need to learn how this amp works and it is not very intuitive.

Step 1: Read the manual cover to cover - you can get it off of Mesa's site.
Step 2: Read the manual cover to cover again but this time sitting in front of the amp.

Here are some tips for Channels 3 and 4:

- The 50/100W setting affects the tightness of the tracking more than anything. You want it tight? Go 100W.
- Diode vs Tube Rectification - Diode is harsher crisper distortion. Tube is more warm.
- Bold vs Spongy - try both. Spongy is little less voltage running through things and warms/slops it up a bit.

For the EQ, think of them this way:

Bass = Bass
Middle = Low Mids
Treble = High Mids
Presence = Highs
Don't go crazy with the gain knob. Modern with gain on 7/10 is a ton and probably too much unless you want a crazy saturated lead tone.

Channel 3 is more optimized for Raw and Vintage.
Channel 4 is more optimized for Modern.

More optimized because of how the Presence knob works. So Channel 3 Presence on 10/10 is all found under Channel 4 Presence at 3/10 (or about 10 o'clock).

To EQ in a sound, set the gain (probably a little lower than you think). Set the Channel Master low and add just a bit of volume to start. Set the Global Master at 10 O'clock. You want the Global Master cranked a bit and the Channel Masters down to control the volume.

Start with the Bass, Mid, Treble, and Presence all OFF.

First dial in the Bass - a little goes a LOOOONNNNGGGG way on this thing. Bass damn near off may be what you need.

Mid - start turning it up until you get a sound you like, start around 10-11 o'clock maybe.

Treble - start turning it up until you get a sound you like on the higher open strings (B,e) maybe around 11 - 1 o'clock.

Turn up the Presence until you start hearing that damn fizz then back it off. The Presence at 9 o'clock or lower is pretty common. Over 12 o'clock gets crazy.

Go back and tweak the other settings slightly to fine tune.

With death in your username I'm guessing you will want Channel 4 in Modern and try Channel 3 in Vintage.

100W, Diode, Bold - Yes you want 100W even at low volumes.

I think Channel 3 Vintage with a boost has a great Thrashy sound to it.

Channel 4 Modern is really Modern Metal.

Go find the Boogie Board for more great tips and info like how to get it to stop popping when changing channels, why the reverb delays when switching, etc.

It's a hell of an amp with a huge array of tones in it. You made a good choice, this overwhelm will pass.

What speakers are you running with it?
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
Last edited by metalmingee at Oct 6, 2015,
best advice when dialling in any rectifier amp is to never overdo the gain or presence, and run the mids slightly higher than you would expect
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
I am by no means an expert on Rectifiers, but after playing a handful of them this is what I deduced:

Either play them LOUD or throw an OD pedal up front. You can easily get a TS-9 used for $60. Or a Digitech Bad Monkey for even less.
The Roadster has a ton of different voices so post a couple youtube examples of what tone you are looking for. They can sound great at low volume but you need to increase the bass some to compensate for the way our ears perceive sound. The manual is probably necessary in the beginning while you learn to use the tool.
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
I agree with everything said above so no need to repeat.
But, like all Mesas dial with your ears not your eyes. Also with my Dual the treble REALLY affects the tone so the smallest increment might make a huge change. Like stated above dial in one at a time.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13