2 6%
Drums
8 23%
Keyboard
10 29%
Voters: 35.
Page 1 of 3
Kazoo
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
your mom lol
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Lol, no votes for guitar yet.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
anyone who voted keyboard has never actually put work into playing keyboard.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
anyone who voted keyboard has never actually put work into playing keyboard.

keyboards dont have sweeps or modes, dumbass???
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Well they can be as difficult as you make them so on advanced levels there's probably no answer.
But for basics of the instrument, keys for sure. A chord will sound perfectly clean by default. Due to the easy diatonic, someone with no experience can play some random melody and not have it sound too horrible. Good luck with any of that on other instruments
Quote by Hail
keyboards dont have sweeps or modes, dumbass???

pianos certainly do have modes, dumbass

and id have to say kazoo is the easiest
Very Orange CARVIN DC 700
PRS SE Custom - crunch lab&PAF pro
Ibanez GRX40 - modified
Peavey Valveking 112 w/ 2x12 cab

Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Last edited by Rocketface2112 at Oct 7, 2015,
of the 4, keys is by far the easiest I encountered.

If we're going to talk about kazoo, it should be noted that it is only as good as your ability to hum, but who the hell is going to take kazoo that seriously?
Quote by fanapathy
Well they can be as difficult as you make them so on advanced levels there's probably no answer.
But for basics of the instrument, keys for sure. A chord will sound perfectly clean by default. Due to the easy diatonic, someone with no experience can play some random melody and not have it sound too horrible. Good luck with any of that on other instruments

I would say guitar is the easiest instrument to learn the basics on (if the options are guitar, bass, drums and keys). Yes, it may be easier to get a good sound out of a keyboard, but it's not the easiest instrument to play actual music on. On guitar you don't need to play for a long time when you can already pretty much play any pop song and sound decent. You pretty much only need to learn a couple of chord shapes and get decent at changing between them. On keyboards you need to worry about things like key signatures and all. You also need to play the bassline. On guitar you can just move a couple of chord shapes around and make music.

So IMO guitar is the easiest of those in that sense. You don't need to know a lot to be able to play music.

Well, same applies to bass, but that kind of playing doesn't sound good on its own on bass - you need a full band for that.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I think the bass is the easiest to get to a novice level (root notes and and a few scales) but it's probably the hardest to to get to the advanced level (Stuart Hamm, Geddy Lee , Jaco Pistorious, etc.)

Of those listed, i'd say that the drums are definitely the hardest to learn.
GUITAR COMPANIES - Contact me if you'd like to sponsor my signature!
Out of those four, keyboard, no contest.

Two-handed playing is tricky, but anyone can pick out a one-handed tune on keyboard - no technique at all is required for that. (With bass you need two hands, and one of them has to fret notes - not easy for a total beginner.)

I'd put bass 2nd, drums 3rd, guitar 4th.

That's just to get started. Getting good on any of them is probably about equally hard on all.
Quote by Rocketface2112
pianos certainly do have modes, dumbass

uhhh...no? modes are only on guitar to give a foreign sound and shred with
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
how do you measure the difficulty of an instrument? When used in their context, I don't know how one instrument could be harder than another. I'm not gonna play Michael Angelo Batio on the piano (lol at that song), and I'm not gonna play Liszt's La Campanella on the bass.

I know how La Campanella is harder than Moonlight Sonata, and I know how MAB is harder than Iron and Wine. But I don't know how to measure the guitar being harder than the bass.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Quote by Baby Joel
how do you measure the difficulty of an instrument? When used in their context, I don't know how one instrument could be harder than another. I'm not gonna play Michael Angelo Batio on the piano (lol at that song), and I'm not gonna play Liszt's La Campanella on the bass.

I know how La Campanella is harder than Moonlight Sonata, and I know how MAB is harder than Iron and Wine. But I don't know how to measure the guitar being harder than the bass.
Easy. It's got 6 strings as opposed to 4. So it's 50% harder.
Mind you, bass has bigger stretches...

You're confusing the difficulty of playing particular pieces with the technical challenges of the instrument(s). Obviously, on any instrument, there are easy pieces and hard pieces. Once you get beyond beginner stage, then difficulty comparisons between instruments start to get meaningless.
This question (IMO) only makes sense from the perspective of a total beginner, a non-musician. Which instrument lets you play a recognisable piece of music (let's assume that's a reasonable test ) in the shortest time and with the least effort? Has to be keyboard.
Last edited by jongtr at Oct 7, 2015,
Quote by jongtr

You're confusing the difficulty of playing particular pieces with the technical challenges of the instrument(s). Obviously, on any instrument, there are easy pieces and hard pieces. Once you get beyond beginner stage, then difficulty comparisons between instruments start to get meaningless.
This question (IMO) only makes sense from the perspective of a total beginner, a non-musician. Which instrument lets you play a recognisable piece of music (let's assume that's a reasonable test ) in the shortest time and with the least effort? Has to be keyboard.

To say it in another way, it's been said that Skiing is easy to learn, hard to master. Snowboarding is hard to learn, easy to master.
Regardless of how true the statements are, it doesn't matter because in the end, you still have to 'master' it.

I agree with your last bit though. It is easier to sightread on piano than guiitar or bass. But I don't know if drums could be included in that though. totally different.
it's all coming back

Quote by jongtr

i have an 8 string
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
aah, now I know why people are saying keyboard.
it's all coming back

The easiest instrument is the one that you're motivated to learn.
Quote by jongtr
but anyone can pick out a one-handed tune on keyboard - no technique at all is required for that.

Tell that to Jens Johansson. Dude used to tour with Yngwie and out shredded him every night.

Quote by Hail
i have an 8 string

Piano has like 200 strings though.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Pastafarian96
218 mounting posts, many of the notes are doubled over with the same piece of wire.

That's still like 200 strings though.
Quote by theogonia777
Tell that to Jens Johansson. Dude used to tour with Yngwie and out shredded him every night.

Piano has like 200 strings though.

banjo only has 5 so banjo loses banjo's easiest
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Pastafarian96
ukulele has 4

balalaika has 3

the small wooden box I made in 3rd grade has 2

diddly bow has 1

those are minority instruments though so we can't be prejudiced

banjo, on the other hand...
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
those are minority instruments though so we can't be prejudiced

banjo, on the other hand...

erhu though

besides

it always comes back to one thing

you don't have skills

you never even learned how to tune it correctly

Hail

more like

Fail
it's tuned

e
e
g
d
e
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by cdgraves
Possibly the easiest to suck at, but might have the highest technical standard to be considered a good player.

Not really. Keyboard requires probably the lowest technical ability to be able to play in a band setting, particularly in the context of rock music. This is largely to due with the keyboard in rock often providing vertical harmony with long, sustained pads and often simple melodies.

Keyboard is also used a lot as a texture instrument. That is to say that the instrument is often, but not always, used for sound more than anything. People often want the sound of a choir, strings, or organ. This goes back to the above. If you just sustain chords for two seconds at a time, it gives you "that" sound and contributes to the atmosphere of the piece.

Not to say that that is all keyboard in all music, but there is a reason why you often see somebody already in the band filling in on keyboard... because it has a fairly low threshold in terms of what ability is needed to perform. As far as being the easiest to suck at, think about this:

Imagine taking somebody that has never touched an instrument before. Give them a guitar and try to get them to play a basic melody. Not good, right? Now give the same person a drum kit and have them play a basic beat. Probably can't do it. Now let's turn it up a notch and give the same person a fiddle or oboe and try it out. Screeching. That's all.

Again, the keyboard has a low threshold for producing a good sound. There is no reed and no embouchure, no bow to fiddle with, no strings to fret, and no pick to fight. There is not an automatic need for both hands or feet. Every note sounds perfect just by plunking a key, especially on electronic keyboards where sensitivity is absent or can be bypassed.

Simple melodies can be played entirely with one hand and there aren't the same tricky chord shapes to nail. It's by far the easiest instrument for picking up the very basics... which is really all you need to play.

If someone already plays an instrument, plunking on a keyboard for the first time is even easier. Within a short period of learning you can be playing Bittersweet Symphony or Just What I Needed or some other iconic keyboard riff and maybe the organ chords to Free Bird, and then you're well on your way to playing keyboard on a few songs in your rock cover band that you play guitar for.

I'm not saying that there aren't bands, even in rock, that make much heavier use of far more difficult material (like ELP or something), but just being able to play sound at an acceptable level for legitimate musical application... keyboards are pretty easy.
yeah but to play a fugue on almost any other instrument is inconceivable

so in terms of what is physically possible, piano has a steeper curve for high level play

but yeah it's not that hard to pick up, ideally every musician can play keys and sing enough to get a point across
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
yeah but when talking guitar/bass/drums/keyboard, keyboard means electric keyboard (whether sample-based or synthesizer) in guitar/bass/drum based genres, so rock, new wave, funk, jazz, synth pop, RnB, etc

no fugues here
Page 1 of 3