I picked up this SG Special on Sunday. This is my second SG like this. It’s a special run from 2011. I think these were a Guitar Center exclusive that were blown out on President’s Day in 2012. At $550 for guitar and a TKL case I probably overpaid, but these guitars are hard to find. I love them because they’re as light as a jazzbox but I can use them with a muff and not get feedback.

The fretwork is good for a Gibson, although not on par with Epiphone. Gibson claims that this model had 50s neck, but it’s actually slimmer, and fits my hand almost as perfectly as a 70s volute Les Paul neck. The fretboard is baked maple. Interestingly the fretboard is flush with the neck, which it generally wasn’t on the 2012 baked maple models. Gibson lists the finish as worn, but these have a satin finish. I guess Gibson was trying satin in 2011 and decided not to put it into production, which is a shame, because they did satin very well.

Sorry for the fuzzy picture. It’s rainy season here in Boulder.
It looks great, which is always something isn't it? Satin finishes are really nice too.

HNGD
A poem.
Quote by yoman297
no girl, movember isnt for you. shave your stache pls

I can out-bore you any day
Quote by jpnyc

The fretwork is good for a Gibson, although not on par with Epiphone.

...Hmm? Do Epiphones usually have better fretwork than Gibsons? Pretty damn sad if that's true, especially considering that Epiphones aren't exactly known for amazing frets, even among their competition with other lower price point imported guitars. Shouldn't that be the other way around?
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
Quote by the_bi99man
...Hmm? Do Epiphones usually have better fretwork than Gibsons?

IMHO Epiphone does a better job rounding off the fret ends. Gibson tends to leave them a little sharp. I like them round like little bubbles, the way they’re done at the WMI factory that builds for LTD, PRS SE, and Schecter. Epi gets close to that, although moreso on the Les Paul Standards and up than the less expensive G400 series.
I generally wouldn't agree with that statement in my experience.

Pretty much all the Epiphones that I've ever played could've benefitted from a light fret levelling, just like virtually any guitar that's in that price range.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Nice
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sweet an SG is still on my wish list, I almost had a special faded at a pawn shop a couple of years back, they had it behind the counter and when I got a closer look it looked liked it had been abused all the metal on the pickups and bridge etc was rusted there were some nasty gouges in the wood on the back, one of the pots were broken and it had one tuner replaced that didn't match so the price wasn't right for the condition

Anyway HNGD Rock on!
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge