Ambient it is. It has a very cool feel! I guess there's not much I can dissect in this, but I would say that the volume levels between the different tracks aren't optimal. The main reverbed track "swallows" the rest, and the drums are less audible than I would have liked them to be.

It's just a Guitar Pro preview and not an actual recording as I don't have a way to decently record yet, but if you don't mind taking a look at a piece I've just posted:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1688411

Thanks.
I agree with TLGuitar the mix could be better which is a pity as I really liked the vocals but strained to hear them. It's a very atmospheric piece and will be really nice with just a little change in the mix.
Thanks for the critique! I updated the song with a slightly better mix.
Sounds very post rock, reflective vibe, the drums seemed to fit the atmosphere, and I am a fan of huge reverbs. The only gripe I have is how it ends. I would say just let the last notes ring out until they die off instead of cutting the song off so soon. It seems like it would be more true to your intentions. Overallreally cool song, thanks man.

check out ma track!

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1688264
Quote by ibz120
Thanks for the critique! I updated the song with a slightly better mix.

The leveling is more like it now, though you should leave it ringing out rather than abruptly halting it at the end.

Say, how did you get that tone in your first upload, "May 20, 2012"? It sounds awesome and completely professional! (I also like those "glitched" moments here and there, but that's more of a post production thing)
Thanks to everybody who commented, I commented back on everything anybody linked.

Quote by TLGuitar
The leveling is more like it now, though you should leave it ringing out rather than abruptly halting it at the end.

Say, how did you get that tone in your first upload, "May 20, 2012"? It sounds awesome and completely professional! (I also like those "glitched" moments here and there, but that's more of a post production thing)

Those guitars are actually DI into my computer. I used a free amp simulator, I think it was Lepou Legion. We are actually using that song in a new EP that will be released soon.
Quote by ibz120
Thanks to everybody who commented, I commented back on everything anybody linked.

Those guitars are actually DI into my computer. I used a free amp simulator, I think it was Lepou Legion. We are actually using that song in a new EP that will be released soon.

Thanks! I figured it's probably an amp sim, but it sounds so good I thought it's perhaps Axe-Fx or something. But a free software? Awesome.

I have another question now: I use a Fast Track C400 interface with ReValver at the moment, after using AmpliTube and getting terrible tones and terrible noise levels. It's much better and sounds much more natural, but the noise levels are still high as the DI is just not clean enough for some reason. I thought it's probably a grounding issue from using it with my PC so I tried running it on a battery-powered laptop, but it didn't help. I don't know why is there that much noise, but it seems to mostly come directly from the interface itself as there's noise present with heavy distortion effects even while the guitar is not plugged-in. I prefer to use as little noise gating as possible.

How are the noise levels in your setup? Do you tend to noise gate it or is it clean enough as it is?
Last edited by TLGuitar at Oct 13, 2015,
Quote by aaron aardvark
ibz,
Kind of reminds me of Pink Floyd. It is relaxing. Ending was surprisingly abrupt on first listen. Sounds nice. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=33634288#post33634288

Thanks! I'll check out your music when I wake up

Quote by TLGuitar
Thanks! I figured it's probably an amp sim, but it sounds so good I thought it's perhaps Axe-Fx or something. But a free software? Awesome.

I have another question now: I use a Fast Track C400 interface with ReValver at the moment, after using AmpliTube and getting terrible tones and terrible noise levels. It's much better and sounds much more natural, but the noise levels are still high as the DI is just not clean enough for some reason. I thought it's probably a grounding issue from using it with my PC so I tried running it on a battery-powered laptop, but it didn't help. I don't know why is there that much noise, but it seems to mostly come directly from the interface itself as there's noise present with heavy distortion effects even while the guitar is not plugged-in. I prefer to use as little noise gating as possible.

How are the noise levels in your setup? Do you tend to noise gate it or is it clean enough as it is?

My setup is a EHX Freeze pedal into an Axe FX II XL, which I have connected USB to a laptop. There is usually no audible noise at moderate volume levels, but the Axe FX is expensive for a reason I would look into getting a better interface that has a lower noise floor.
Quote by ibz120
My setup is a EHX Freeze pedal into an Axe FX II XL, which I have connected USB to a laptop. There is usually no audible noise at moderate volume levels, but the Axe FX is expensive for a reason I would look into getting a better interface that has a lower noise floor.

Well, the Axe-Fx is indeed much more expensive, but the Fast Track C400 was not THAT cheap either (and as far as I understood the Axe-Fx is probably too expensive; it's highly regarded, but they've assigned a very "prestigious" price tag to it).

What do you mean by "at moderate volume levels"? I'm talking about distorted guitar sounds, of course, so the important figure here is how heavy of a distortion are you able to apply to the guitar DI.

I assume the Axe-Fx has a better signal-to-noise ratio than the FT C400, but I wonder how crappy should it really be... I just feel like it's too much and that something is simply not functioning right throughout my setup. I wonder if its preamp sucks ass and there's a way to replace only it with something better?