I am looking for a tone like darkthrone/burzum

I am using a Peavey Vypry VIP 2 amp

and a Cort evl z2 guitar.
Well for starters, your Vypyr might actually be too good to get those tones.

But I'd try the 6505 or Rec models, turn the bass way down, treble and mids at max, and gain at max. The general idea is to make it sound like shit.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Plug your guitar into your microwave.

Srs though, dial back the mids, crank the highs, and play with the lows to get the perfect balance between sludginess and crispness. Also perhaps consider a stronger source of distortion, such as a pedal. For what you want, the Digitech death metal would work very well.
whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Quote by EJD
Reminds me of that drunkard who ran out of beer... he was so desperate, he drank furniture polish.

He came to a horrible end... but a beautiful finish.
Chinese amp. Metal zone pedal. Record it with your phone.
"I think, as a musician, you should practice your technique to be as good as you need to be to facilitate whatever ideas come into your head."
- Devin Townsend
Haha, troll-bait.

Anyway, the metal zone's great for BM, all the treble you'd want and more. I'm not sure what those bands actually used, but most of it sounded solid-state back in the day. If you want GOOD black metal tone, try old Marshall tube amps. Definitely not Peavey though.
Those guys used whatever equipment they had on hand, these days though they use better equipment so try not to get hung up on it too much because it really wont matter. I'd say if you already have something just use that.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Haha, troll-bait.

Anyway, the metal zone's great for BM, all the treble you'd want and more. I'm not sure what those bands actually used, but most of it sounded solid-state back in the day. If you want GOOD black metal tone, try old Marshall tube amps. Definitely not Peavey though.

Any high-gain tube amp can work for BM, including Peaveys. It's much more about technique than anything else. I use a 6505, and it works amazingly well, in my opinion. Have a listen to the song in my sig...
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
try bass 7, mid 4, treble 10. adjust accordingly
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
Imo it's distortion maxed out, bass on 0, treble on 10, and adjust mids to your liking, although rather on the low side. Use the worst equipment you have. Varg once stated that when he was in the studio, he asked for the worst mic available, and ended up recording Filosofem's vocals with a cheap PC headset.
Learn how to play the guitar. Look at Varg playing his songs acoustically on youtube. 90% is the playing. Looking for equipment to get that "perfect" sound is a colossal waste of time and money. Especially for black metal.
Last edited by KillerSpeed at Oct 11, 2015,