Page 1 of 2
Are you a vegan?

If not have you ever tried/considered the vegan lifestyle?

I'm not a vegan but I have considered being one, unfortunately I like meat and milk too much.
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
I am not. I've contemplated being vegetarian (not vegan), but decided not to in the end. That being said, I try to be mindful of how much meat I eat and avoid wasting stuff that animals had to die for (well, I avoid wasting most stuff, but I never buy meat I won't eat/throw away meat).

Tried vegan blue cheese once. Might well have been the nastiest thing I've ever tasted
no

i went vegetarian for a while because i thought meat was making me sick.

it's really just greasy food and bad food safety that were making me sick.
mugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmugmug
Not a vegan. Will never be one through choice.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Are you a vegan?

I'm not a vegan but I have considered being one, unfortunately I like meat and milk too much.

No.

No.

I'd like to cut down on my meat consumption sometimes but I am very uncreative and can't think of meat substitutes in the dishes I regularly cook. If anyone could share their ideas for meat free curries, stir fries, pasta dishes etc. I'd love to hear them.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
No.

No.

I'd like to cut down on my meat consumption sometimes but I am very uncreative and can't think of meat substitutes in the dishes I regularly cook. If anyone could share their ideas for meat free curries, stir fries, pasta dishes etc. I'd love to hear them.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/collection/vegetarian-curry
Quote by Diemon Dave
The problem is for me slapsy is that every dish without meat just feels empty. I feel like I'd just be eating stuff and the meal would be incomplete. When my mum has cooked no-meat meals before it has felt like that. A true phantom pain.
No. You need meat protein for healthy organ functioning. I seldom eat meat, that is the reason why I always feel lethargic and get colds easily. No amount of vitamin C can help me prevent a flu but after consuming meat, I don't get sick easily.
Amateur guitarist straight from the oven !

No, meat-free, egg-free, milk and cheese-free diet seems like a shitty life.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
No I'm not an idiot. I'm all for veganism though because the way I figure it, the more vegans there are the more meat there is for me.
Quote by TheChaz
No because I enjoy eating a healthy diet.

Quote by ErikLensherr
No, meat-free, egg-free, milk and cheese-free diet seems like a shitty life.

Quote by DardySon
No I'm not an idiot. I'm all for veganism though because the way I figure it, the more vegans there are the more meat there is for me.

Pretty much my main three reasons for not being a vegan/vegetarian.
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Are you a vegan?

- no

- I was growing up until I was 16 I think. not for animal welfare issues, just because parents thought it'd be healthier because of some crap in a fad diet book. finally stopped cause mother wanted to eat meat again.

not going back cause cheese is too good and I love desserts which use dairy. I could do with out consuming flesh if pressed though, wouldn't be totally happy with it since there are some tasty meat products out there but I would be fine if I was still eating dairy.

I still dislike straight milk but can handle the odd milkshake here and there now though.

edit: also the nutrition aspect of being vegan over being omni or veggie is not a big deal if you pay attention to what you'll be eating. as a vegan you can't really get away so much with shovelling anything in your mouth and figure you'll get the right nutrients one way or another.

Quote by ultimate-slash
I am not. I've contemplated being vegetarian (not vegan), but decided not to in the end. That being said, I try to be mindful of how much meat I eat and avoid wasting stuff that animals had to die for (well, I avoid wasting most stuff, but I never buy meat I won't eat/throw away meat).

Tried vegan blue cheese once. Might well have been the nastiest thing I've ever tasted

most vegan versions of dairy products are pretty ick. when we had them as kids we were kind lucky we didn't know the real thing so much so didn't know what we were missing (ie ice cream, milk chocolate)

have since tried the vegan versions next to the dairy ones and am really confused how I managed to eat that as a kid.

also, we did use honey a lot cause we considered insects making food not quite the same as possibly "unhealthy" as proper animal products.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
Quote by cha33 armstrong
Are you a vegan?

My sisters made me live the life of a vegetarian when I visited them in California for a month and a half; that is why I HATE tofu.

Outcome, as soon as I got back to the eastcoast I called my buddy, hopped into my car, and drove to the nearest Burger King for 2 cheeseburgers!
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Quote by fingerguy
My sisters made me live the life of a vegetarian when I visited them in California for a month and a half; that is why I HATE tofu.

Outcome, as soon as I got back to the eastcoast I called my buddy, hopped into my car, and drove to the nearest Burger King for 2 cheeseburgers!

Two cheeseburgers? Really?

If I'd gone a month and a half without meat I would've gone to the nearest steakhouse and ordered the biggest steak they had.

Fucking cheeseburgers man, fuck me.
Dude, I was 16 I could eat a whole bag of Cheetos and not gain a pound. Plus I was poor/broke for I spent all my cash in Cali. All I wanted meat even if it might not be real meat I needed meat and I needed it fast. Did that sound gay?

So in short, I couldn't afford a steak at that point in my life.

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I'm not a vegan and really don't see the point in being one. I've never even considered becoming a vegetarian. It's not my fault that many animals taste delicious when cooked.
I have nothing important to say
You know, my friend is a vegan and he gave a taste of his all vegan lasagna. Supposedly it was made with vegal meat and dairy replacement products or something but....it was delicious...
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Guitar0player
You know, my friend is a vegan and he gave a taste of his all vegan lasagna. Supposedly it was made with vegal meat and dairy replacement products or something but....it was delicious...

Are you sure it wasn't made with real vegans?
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Are you sure it wasn't made with real vegans?

Not sure about that but i am skeptical about the lack of vegan made cheese.
most vegan cheese that i've tried has been gross. the better brands taste decently like cheese but more rubbery and soy-y. i make pizza w/bae fairly often and after some experimentation i have found brands that work fine. that said, my pizza standards were never very high. i like thick greasy crust with gallons of sauce so that's what i make, i don't really care about cheese in the end.
Quote by Eastwinn
most vegan cheese that i've tried has been gross. the better brands taste decently like cheese but more rubbery and soy-y. i make pizza w/bae fairly often and after some experimentation i have found brands that work fine. that said, my pizza standards were never very high. i like thick greasy crust with gallons of sauce so that's what i make, i don't really care about cheese in the end.

The word "pizza" in that phrase is unnecessary.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
I am not vegan, though I was for a while. I cut out dairy products for a couple of months because it was affecting my skin. Since it's easier to find vegan food than "no dairy but still has eggs" food I slowly just became vegan (and my dad doesn't eat eggs so it's not like I had to avoid them at home).

Most of my family is vegetarian and I have no trouble being vegetarian when I'm staying with them. I don't cook meat at home because I can make equally delicious stuff without meat, meat is too filling for me, and I'd have to get a whole new set of cooking utensils just to cook meat in out of consideration for my family. Its not that delicious either.

I also feel bad for animals when I eat meat - the other day I was eating shrimp and then I just couldn't do it anymore because they were looking at me with their eyes and I almost started crying.
cat
I'm vegetarian. I don't tend to talk about it as meat eaters often get either defensive or dense when they ask. I'd go vegan but what with my... instabilities... I doubt I'd feed myself properly when I wasn't in the best of places, though. It has its perks. Because meat is cut out I can get delicious speciality foods (imported foods, those hella expensive east asian veg + teas) and better whisky. It doesn't need much thought once you're used to it. Don't really miss meat. Most of it is either dry and bland, or flavoured with fat or sauces so.

RE: tofu, it's one of those foods that you have to know how to cook. Badly cooked tofu is worse than badly cooked squid. Well-cooked tofu isn't just welcome but adored. Especially good in noodle soups, but it's very versatile. It gets a bad rep more because people can't cook.

Never tried vegan cheese but I don't bother much with normal cheese (not morally or in regards to my digestive system - simply that the stuff that isn't sweaty, plasticy shit is far too expensive).
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 7, 2015,
If by 'vegan powers' you mean 'malnourished brain, deficient in coq10/bcaa's/intelligence/etc', then yes, I have no vegan powers
Quote by Banjocal
I'm vegetarian. I don't tend to talk about it as meat eaters often get either defensive or dense when they ask. I'd go vegan but what with my... instabilities... I doubt I'd feed myself properly when I wasn't in the best of places, though. It has its perks. Because meat is cut out I can get delicious speciality foods (imported foods, those hella expensive east asian veg + teas) and better whisky. It doesn't need much thought once you're used to it. Don't really miss meat. Most of it is either dry and bland, or flavoured with fat or sauces so.

RE: tofu, it's one of those foods that you have to know how to cook. Badly cooked tofu is worse than badly cooked squid. Well-cooked tofu isn't just welcome but adored. Especially good in noodle soups, but it's very versatile. It gets a bad rep more because people can't cook.

Never tried vegan cheese but I don't bother much with normal cheese (not morally or in regards to my digestive system - simply that the stuff that isn't sweaty, plasticy shit is far too expensive).

I honestly think you're quiet about it because people are just assholes.
well tbh I am an asshole myself, just in different ways. I don't want to try and 'convert' people nor do I want to do the shock tactics thing (it's ineffective) - if someone feels their cognitive dissonance slipping then that's something THEY need to work through themselves. Additionally, a lot of people who go 'cold turkey' veg- fuck themselves over HARD because like most people, they don't know shit about nutrition, and load themselves with carbohydrates, inevitably sapping their iron and essential proteins (i maintain this with meat-eaters too - MOST people need to learn more about food), and I don't want to do that to someone

plus being vegan ain't as easy. We might be far leaning on the herbivorous side on a purely physiological level, but we've grown to rely on B12 and haeme iron and such, and if a person goes down the vegan route they can't be fucking with a non-regimented diet. a vegetarian can do just fine so long as they know the basics but it's a different case when you cut eggs out
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
Last edited by Banjocal at Oct 7, 2015,
Quote by Banjocal
well tbh I am an asshole myself, just in different ways. I don't want to try and 'convert' people nor do I want to do the shock tactics thing (it's ineffective) - if someone feels their cognitive dissonance slipping then that's something THEY need to work through themselves. Additionally, a lot of people who go 'cold turkey' veg- fuck themselves over HARD because like most people, they don't know shit about nutrition, and load themselves with carbohydrates, inevitably sapping their iron and essential proteins (i maintain this with meat-eaters too - MOST people need to learn more about food), and I don't want to do that to someone

plus being vegan ain't as easy. We might be far leaning on the herbivorous side on a purely physiological level, but we've grown to rely on B12 and haeme iron and such, and if a person goes down the vegan route they can't be fucking with a non-regimented diet. a vegetarian can do just fine so long as they know the basics but it's a different case when you cut eggs out

Well, I was talking about the typical type of assholes.
Quote by fingerguy at #33626962
Dude, I was 16 I could eat a whole bag of Cheetos and not gain a pound.

I think just about everyone can do that.
Free Ali
Quote by chrismendiola
I think just about everyone can do that.

Nope. There were kids that had weight issues as kids. My boss is one of them.
Quote by fingerguy at #33627183
Nope. There were kids that had weight issues as kids. My boss is one of them.

Yeah, I understand people have issues with metabolism. I'm pointing out your exaggeration. Gaining a pound from a bag of Cheetos would mean that bag contained thousands of calories' worth for the average person.

Free Ali
Quote by MeTallIcA313
This thread is currently in the process of summoning snazz.

Oh God no!
Page 1 of 2