Hey there, I will buy a new 7 string guitar and I only have a limit of 1200 dollars, which is 20,000MXN. (I CANT try the guitars I want in Mexico.)
Well this is a little hard for me to decide. Im with a Sterling by Musicman JP70 (Indonesia) and a Ibanez RG752fx prestige (Sterling is way more cheaper). So the thing here is that..

If I buy the prestige one, I will hardly buy new cool gear like a new amp, pedal. I dont have an amp in my house. I just have a Line 6 POD xtlive pedal board and practice with headphones, I have a band that has a SMARVO amp, so in live shows I dont have any problem with no owning myself an amp. But I wish one.

If I buy the Sterling one, I will get dimarzio pickups (crunch lab and liquifire) installed in it and a new amp, because the price is very affordable. But Im not sure if it will feel like a great "jump" from my actual guitar to this one.

Ive already watched reviews of both guitars and, well, Im searching quality, and Im in doubt of that with the Sterling because its made in Indonesia, and the Ibanez in Japan!
I've been playing for almost 7 years now and I own an Ibanez RG350dx, I dont like the pickups and the Floyd Rose is just not my thing. With my band I play progressive Rock always Drop D, but my solo projects I play shred, hard rock, instrumental rock, progressive metal, JP style. I also play math rock and Indie, which I think that the Sterling one fits well because people had told me that they are very versatile in different genres.

The thing here is: I want and need to do a very big step to a professional guitar, from my Ibanez RG350 to a very pro instrument. To feel the quality. To feel the "big jump/change. Im just starting to struggle with my Ibanez now because 7 years playing with horrible pickups and struggling with the FR, always staying out of tune -_- I just want to feel and play a guitar that wont give me any trouble, last long, (good sustain tho), feel the difference u know? Ive never play a professional guitar.. Just a Fender American Stratocaster Deluxe, but that guitar isnt my type for playing So I feel that Ive been playing for a long time now to buy a professional guitar. Sadly I cannot afford more than 1200, if so, I would buy without thinking the actual musicman JP.

So I hope you get my idea:
-Sterling: affordable price, can buy a new amp, good reviews (some people say that you hardly feel the difference between sterling and a real musicman), nice sound, dimarzio pickups will be installed if I buy. BUT.. Made in Indonesia :/
-Ibanez: Prestige, made in Japan, good quality, nice pickups but maybe Ill change them too. BUT way more expensive.

So that's the thing guys, that are my points of veiw of each option and it will be reaaaally apreccieted your own experiences, your opinions and comments to help me decide which one to buy.
Or split in the middle and buy an Ibanez Premium. Made in Indonesia and every single one I've tried has been amazing.
Don't worry about the made in Indonesia part, very good guitars are coming out of there.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

If you haven't even tried these guitars on the amp you don't own why on earth are you already talking about changing the pickups? Save up more, get a good guitar and an even better amp.
get an amp...
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Not owning an amp isnt a problem for me. As I said, I have a band and live performances, I record songs with them too, many places have their own amps, vary always: Fender, Marshall, Orange.. etc. But all of them are really good. I spend my week playing live, in the studio, or with my band. So if I get the guitar, I will rarely play in my house or record things in my house. If I record something I use the studio amp. I just got a 15watts Marshall that I hate its sound so its there without being used.

So theres rarely a difference between an Ibanez Prestige made in Japan and a Sterling by musicman signature made in Indonesia?
You are window shopping with 1200.00?? Get off your duff and go play the guitars.
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.
The fact you're always playing through a different amp means you're probably better off getting a guitar you like the feel of rather than the sound, because every amp sounds a little bit different. Two issues here:
1. You can't play these guitars and therefore have no idea how they feel to play. You'd be relying solely on the sound of these guitars, which won't help you as you're always using different amps.
2. Like I said, every amp sounds different. And the amp makes a much bigger difference to the sound than the guitar does.

Possible solutions: buy an amp, then buy a guitar which sounds good with that amp. Find somewhere that sells guitars and find one that feels good to you, then buy an amp which works well with the guitar.
Well so I guess Ill buy a Sterling to buy an amp.. In Mexico, (in my city) the different stores with guitars dont have the options I want, for example, they dont have a prestige, they do not have a sterling, and just common guitars like a common fender telecaster, a common ibanez RG, a common Jackson, etc. But maybe I could just go and see whats there and go with another option. I like the Fender champion sound in many different guitars. I tried an Ibanez, a Fender and a Gibson in that amp and is the best in price and sound for different type of guitars.
^^^^ My mate stocks Sterling, and the ones I have looked at were pretty good. I don't think that there is much wrong with Indonesian production these days, especially when a company like MM is having its name attached to it. Also, for minor problems with set up and the like, I'm sure Mexico has decent techs at a reasonable price.

FWIW, my favourite guitar after a pickup change is a cheap OLP bari, made in China. They were the predecessors to Sterling as MM's importer brand.
Quote by Sakke
Made in Indonesia and every single one I've tried has been amazing.
Don't worry about the made in Indonesia part, very good guitars are coming out of there.

I agree people worry too much about where a guitar is made I have two Indonesian guitars an Ibanez Xiphos and a Washburn Parallaxe both are on par with my Japanese made Jackson guitars, I have a Chinese BC Rich neck-thru Beast V I'd put up against any guitar
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

I see,, well I think Im going more to the Sterling now because its cheap and a good brand, and also have nice reviews. And I can save money for an amp. And also I will install to it the pickups I want! Its sad that I cant try those guitars where I live. Even in Mexico city important shops, they're 5 Ibanez Prestige, no Sterling and they do not have good prices :S If a prestige is 1200 in US, here in Mexico would be 2000. Thats the other reason Im buying online in US.
Last edited by nastia.rus at Oct 7, 2015,
So you guys, which one would you choose?
The Ibanez Prestige RG752
http://duncanranchwhitetails.com/images/RG752FX01.jpg With dimarzio PAF pickups (I dont really like them) -1099 US-
OR
Sterling by Musicman JP70
http://info.shimamura.co.jp/guitar/img/uploads/machida/0161.jpg With Dimarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire pickups (installed) -649 US-
Last edited by nastia.rus at Oct 7, 2015,
Quote by nastia.rus
So you guys, which one would you choose?
The Ibanez Prestige RG752
http://duncanranchwhitetails.com/images/RG752FX01.jpg With dimarzio PAF pickups (I dont really like them) -1099 US-
OR
Sterling by Musicman JP70
http://info.shimamura.co.jp/guitar/img/uploads/machida/0161.jpg With Dimarzio Crunch Lab and Liquifire pickups (installed) -649 US-

the JP 100 comes with those pups stock and is a better guitar all around. i've been pretty impressed with al the Sterling guitars i've tried. of course you really can't go wrong with that Ibby. up to you.
i prefer the prestige. i have three, i absolutely love them. sterlings are nice, but not quite in the same league.

as far as getting it with the amp, you have to decide. if you want that guitar to be a step up, you would probably be happier with the prestige. if you want a better tone overall, the amp and sterling would get you farther. its up to you.

*i have to say i have have played more ibanez prestige models than sterlings though.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/