Hi All,

I have read through on how to read tabs etc., but I am still struggling to learn / identify what the strumming patterns on the songs are.

Am i missing something very obvious and being stupid?

When do you strum up / down..or down / down....etc etc etc?

HELP a Newbie!!
A few (ok the minority) of tabs has the strumming pattern written in it. Pretty self explanatory when you stumble upon the "v" and "|_|" kind of signs.

What helped me a lot was getting the constant rhythm in the strumming hand.
For example when i play acoustic songs, I always move my strumming hand up and down in the rhythm. Even if i don't hit the strings, I constantly move my hand. This helps me to stay tight on the beat and the strumming feels more natural to me.
That way you can screw around with different strumming patterns, too!
Quote by Ougagagoubu
A few (ok the minority) of tabs has the strumming pattern written in it. Pretty self explanatory when you stumble upon the "v" and "|_|" kind of signs.

What helped me a lot was getting the constant rhythm in the strumming hand.
For example when i play acoustic songs, I always move my strumming hand up and down in the rhythm. Even if i don't hit the strings, I constantly move my hand. This helps me to stay tight on the beat and the strumming feels more natural to me.
That way you can screw around with different strumming patterns, too!

Same here. As long as I'm on beat I'm good to go, I don't care if I'm strumming up or down. On the other hand I find it very odd to strum in only one pattern (only down strokes or up strokes).
Quote by brettbolton1
Hi All,

I have read through on how to read tabs etc., but I am still struggling to learn / identify what the strumming patterns on the songs are.

Am i missing something very obvious and being stupid?

When do you strum up / down..or down / down....etc etc etc?

HELP a Newbie!!

Nothing for nothing but why would you ask this on "The Pit"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmDrHfqnqUI
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
Quote by TobusRex
Same here. As long as I'm on beat I'm good to go, I don't care if I'm strumming up or down. On the other hand I find it very odd to strum in only one pattern (only down strokes or up strokes).

Well sometimes i prefer downstroking everything for better and easier emphasizing on different notes.