Hello there fellows UG

I knwon this thread might sound ridiculous but i do believe my hands arent the biggest ones as for guitar player , i think im getting trouble with bigger necks like the Schecter ones i have. This is what bothers me from the beginning, especially when i stand it feels harder to play solos and my speed is rather average slow. I'm 5"10 (178 cm height) . Schecter hellraiser c 7. Are they really that small ?

(Invalid img)
It looks like they're smaller than mine (I'm 5'10" as well.), but seems like you should be fine. When you play standing solos be sure your guitar is a proper height on your body. Look at some of your favorite shredders and see where they play as a guideline and from there find your comfort zone. If NEEDED try to find a way to get your guitar a little higher if you need to for live solos by putting your foot on a monitor or a box or stand or some form to give your tendons some breathing room. here's a pic of one of my favorite players. I think this would be an acceptable height for playing comfort as well as looking "metal". Happy shredding.
I'm 5"9 and have smaller hands than you and my fret span (1st finger fret 1 high e, little finger on high e to whatever fret you can reach) was only 1 fret smaller than my guitar teacher who was 6"5.

Basically as long as you can strech minor 3rd 1st to little finger you shouldnt have an issue.

In regard to playing standing up make sure your guitar is the right height. When I sit down my guitar is the same height as it is when I stand up, so there is no difference in playing seated to standing.

Hope this helps
Bands:
Native State
A Titan, A Deity
Rash L.A

Gear:
PRS P245 Semi Hollow
Suhr Modern Guthrie Spec
Mayones Regius 7 Buckeye Burl
LSL CVS Studio Strat
Fender American Standard Tele
Faith Hi Gloss Venus

Mesa Lonestar Special
Bugera 333
Zilla 2x12 Fatboy
Line 6 PodHD500
John5 has pretty small hands but they don't seem to slow him down much. Maybe a Tele is in your future.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WWw8HmYTXIc
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
Quote by rockstar256
bothers me from the beginning, especially when i stand it feels harder to play solos and my speed is rather average slow.

Your hand size is fine. Randy Rhodes' hands were itty bitty.

Hanging your guitar down around your groin and trying to play it horizontally will give you some serious issues later in your career. You'll notice that when the big solos come up a lot of guitarists are suddenly standing with a foot up on a monitor and the guitar tucked up high and at a 45 degree angle. Proper playing angle and proper technique will go a long way toward increasing your speed and making it easier to play, and that includes standing *and* sitting.
Kaki King is 5'3". Buckethead is 6'8". I'm 5'7". Just sayin.

Will it affect you? Some. But don't let it be an excuse. Find what is comfy and GO!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Oct 7, 2015,
hand size is not the ultimate factor .. angle of neck..position of thumb behind neck..and regular practice of stretching exercises will increase your ability to form wide spaced chords and solos..check some of the chords that john stowell and ted greene can form with ease..their hands were not large..stowell usually plays a custom guitar..greene played a tele...I play a les paul..
play well

wolf
Small hands don't mean anything - Vinnie Moore has small hands and Jess Lewis ' hands are tiny - they can rip up a fretboard no problem. Use a Classical guitar grip ( i.e. thumb behind freboard, not wrapped around)if you have small hands - that's the key.

Also, just buy a guitar that is comfortable - there's no point in buying a guitar with a big fretboard if you have small hands . Ernie Ball Musicman Silhouette Special has a very small fretboard for example.
Thanks guys alot, ive noticed that holding guitar higher really helps. However i mostly sit and play :P
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Kaki King is 5'3". Buckethead is 6'8". I'm 5'7". Just sayin.

Will it affect you? Some. But don't let it be an excuse. Find what is comfy and GO!

wow! bh is 6'8"? that's 1" taller than me. is that with the bucket or without?

i used to play all low and cool like page but lately i'm getting up there like morello.
Your hands are fine. Guitar just takes practice. Putting the guitar on your left knee (if you're a righty), classical style, will make it a lot easier on your wrists and hands. I'd recommend holding it that way any time you're doing something technically challenging. It keeps your left wrist flatter, which reduces the chance of repetitive stress injury.

Now where's that video of the midget with deformed hands who shreds like a beast?
Last edited by cdgraves at Oct 19, 2015,