This is the instrumental off Arch Enemy's "Wages of Sin" album. Gear: Ibanez RG655, Vox 847 Wah, Amplitube 3, Adobe Premiere for editing.

https://youtu.be/O72D2n63eZQ

I haven't used a wah very much at all. So I figured this would be a perfect song to practice with. Any feedback would be appreciated!

C4C
The lead guitar seems a bit sloppy at places and the tone could be better.

Bend at 0:56 sounds sharp and the 1:20 bending is a bit choppy. I also noticed that change at 0:28 is a bit rough. These are the main flaws I found.

Not a bad cover, I like the clean guitar. You should try using your vibrato more and try to keep with the pitches in the bends. I'm sure you could make this sound a lot better with just these small fixes.

I hope I'm not too rough. I'm sure I couldn't do this better if I tried, but I know you want to be a better player so I decided to point these problems for you in case you don't already know them.
No I appreciate it! I wish everyone would give specific critiques like you. Honestly I think I was more focused on using the wah pedal at times because I'm really not used to it. I was more concerned with the sweep of the wah during those bends too. I see what you're saying about the bend at 00:56 being sharp. And watching the video again now, it seems I could have changed between most notes more smoothly, like making sure the notes are wall-to-wall without any break in between, right?

But I'm not sure what you're referring to about the change at 00:28. Because the noise gate actually kicks in right in between those licks because I palm muted everything to have the first lick end abruptly on purpose. I guess you're saying I could have let is sustain? If that's what you mean, then I agree.

And at 1:20 there's only one bend (half-step). Are you saying that could have been sustained before the hammer-ons?

And one last question, do you think the bend at 00:50 is in pitch? I was really focused on getting that one right!

I just want to look at these things with specific changes in mind so I can improve.

Thanks again. I see you've been a member for a little while so I imagine you've listened to a lot of covers/originals! If you ever get some time, would you mind taking a look at this and seeing if you can find any critiques? I've only been playing for two years so I really value experienced player's constructive criticism:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTpReLiwgko&feature=youtu.be

And I'll be happy to listen to anything of yours, (not that my opinion matters very much since I haven't been playing very long).
Last edited by bbzswa777 at Oct 7, 2015,
If you listen to the original song, the note doesn't cut like that @0:28. It's a slide down and a pinch of delay going on. You might not have a delay but that slide down would help a bunch.

EDIT: I listened to the song and the 1:20 isn't a bad flaw the rhythm though goes a bit different if you compare your version and the original.

EDIT2: I'm currently listening your In Flames cover. You seriously have some talent. You definetly better lead player than me. You stay in time really good. For the rhythmic part though, when you are doing palm mutes in a riff, you should consider using only down-picking for the best results. It is also mixed properly. You should try hard-panning those guitars.
Last edited by blacknex at Oct 8, 2015,
Quote by blacknex
If you listen to the original song, the note doesn't cut like that @0:28. It's a slide down and a pinch of delay going on. You might not have a delay but that slide down would help a bunch.

Ah, you're right. Sliding down is something I never really do so I'll work on that.

Quote by blacknex
EDIT2: I'm currently listening your In Flames cover. You seriously have some talent. You definetly better lead player than me. You stay in time really good. For the rhythmic part though, when you are doing palm mutes in a riff, you should consider using only down-picking for the best results. It is also mixed properly. You should try hard-panning those guitars.

Thanks a lot man. I worked on that song for a couple months and it definitely made me a better player. About the down-picking, you're right. I saw that most people only used down strokes and I tried it, but I was having some issues with tendonitis in my picking arm and using alternate picking there was easier. But I think my arm has finally healed, I just need to make sure to stay relaxed. That and not practice for 4 hours every day lol.

I looked up what hard-panning is and I'm not sure how to do that in Amplitube 3. Or maybe I could mess with the audio after the fact in Adobe Premiere? I'll do some research on it.

Thanks again for the advice.
Quote by christian.vacha
awesome job ! great love it dude !

Thank you! You're an incredible guitarist yourself.