Would it be beneficial to me to sell my Made in USA Peavey 5150 2x12 60 watt combo to fund a Line 6 Pod HD Pro X amp modeler?

I love my 5150, but ever since I traded my old Multi-effects pedal, I have had no way to record on my computer.

And money is out of the question unless I sell it, so I can't just buy an interface or anything...
Quote by brycebomb1311
Would it be beneficial to me to sell my Made in USA Peavey 5150 2x12 60 watt combo to fund a Line 6 Pod HD Pro X amp modeler:

Yes.
If you can't do what you want with your current gear, it always makes sense to get gear that will do what you want.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
To me the question sounds like:
"Should I sell my highly sought iconic USA-made quality tube amplifier to buy a Chinese modeler that will be outdated in a year?".

I think you can gauge which way I am leaning on my answer

Get a used interface if you have to, Lepou vsts and Reaper, and you're done for under $100. Keep your good gear.
In the sense that you will now have a very versatile piece of equipment that you CAN record with, yes it will be beneficial. You should also consider, however, that you will need some extra equipment if you want to play out loud. I imagine you are aware of this, but it is something to consider, there are additional costs besides just getting the HD Pro.

I would do it simply because I think you could get a decent enough approximation of the 5150 with the HD (especially if you bought the metal pack expansion from Line 6 which includes the "Criminal" model of the 5150), but I also have a way to use it for more than just recording (I have a PA).

Up to you, just something to consider.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Do not do it, keep your amp cause you will regret it.
The best option, if you want to record, is indeed to buy a cheap external sound card and run the completely free VST's from Lepou, they sound amazingly good! Run them through a free DAW like Reaper and you're set.

THe Pod HD x series is good, but nowhere near as good as the real deal and i'm pretty sure you would stay unsatisfied if you really love your amp.
Gear:
PRS custom 24 (2000)
PodHD500x (cause i'm poor, upgrade soon)
Custom power amp
Homemade 2x12 (celestion V30 + G12H creamback)

HORSES BLEW FIRE (My band)
Last edited by AEnesidem at Oct 7, 2015,
Quote by diabolical
Get a used interface if you have to, Lepou vsts and Reaper, and you're done for under $100. Keep your good gear.

Quote by AEnesidem
buy a cheap external sound card and run the completely free VST's from Lepou, they sound amazingly good! Run them through a free DAW like Reaper and you're set.

Quote by brycebomb1311

And money is out of the question unless I sell it, so I can't just buy an interface or anything...

People, people, people...
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 7, 2015,
You could save up for a Two Notes Torpedo Live. You say money is an issue, but I would save up if it was me.

EDIT: I didn't realise you need the interface. I would get a POD HD.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Oct 7, 2015,
Quote by Emperor's Child
You say money is an issue, but I would save up if it was me.

Money is out of the question. Don't get paid for shit, plus I got a bills and kids.

The only way I would have money is to sell the 5150. No ifs, ands, or buts.
Last edited by brycebomb1311 at Oct 7, 2015,
I don't know if you'd be able to get enough out of the 5150 to buy a POD HD Pro to be honest, let alone the necessaries for using it for practice.
Quote by dementiacaptain
I don't know if you'd be able to get enough out of the 5150 to buy a POD HD Pro to be honest, let alone the necessaries for using it for practice.

I was thinking asking about $600. Is that too high?
Quote by brycebomb1311

There are 2 for $500 and 1 for $890 on Guitar Center's used gear webpage, so you're not entirely out of line.

If you've got a GC nearby, you might see if you can work a trade.
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Oct 7, 2015,
Quote by Arby911
There are 2 for $500 and 1 for $890 on Guitar Center's used gear webpage, so you're not entirely out of line.

If you've got a GC nearby, you might see if you can work a trade.

Called the most local GC. They said (depending on condition, which it's acutally really nice condition for it's age) that they would give me $150-$250 for it.

Long story short, fuck GC.
Quote by brycebomb1311
Called the most local GC. They said (depending on condition, which it's acutally really nice condition for it's age) that they would give me $150-$250 for it.

That's pretty lowball, even for GC it would seem.

You could probably get $600 for it given its condition, though you may have to wait a while. I could be wrong as it is different in every area.

Given that you could probably get the POD HD Pro X, but do you want the ability to play out loud, or are you okay with strictly going through headphones, computer speakers, etc.

That's going to be an additional cost if you do. At the very least you'd want a decent pair of studio headphones, which if you play your cards right could be had within budget after selling the amp (assuming you get the $600 you want out of it).

I just thought I'd mention this stuff, these are things to keep in mind before deciding to sell your amp.

If you aren't going to be using it with a rack/stage setup it might also be worth considering just getting the POD HD500X or even the POD HD (bean). I don't know how much you lose going to one of those but I can't imagine it's a ton especially if all you plan on doing is using it for recording.
Quote by brycebomb1311

Yeah, they always lowball when it's sight unseen, they don't want to be told "but you told me on the phone" by someone that brings in a pile of crap.

I'd try to do a gear-gear swap with them, but it's your call.

I'd also look at the HD500X, it will save you a bunch of money.
Charles Darwin
Before you do anything rash, check the compatibility of the POD HD500X with your computers OS. Line 6 takes a long time to update their drivers. I updated to "El Capitan" on my iMac and the drivers provided by Line 6 are not compatible. I have been waiting for an update for what seems like forever now and there is no word from Line 6 as to when the problem will be fixed, just a sticky on their forums saying they are aware of an issue. No date, no time frame, no current info at all really. The posts about it go back to July and the beta of El Capitan has been out for 8 months. I would think there should at the very least be an update as to when to expect this issue to be resolved but theres nothing. Line 6 went through the same thing with the last windows update as well so they should have been testing their drivers months ago and already have updated them.
For under a hundred dollars you can buy a Behringer SM57 clone and a USB interface for recording. Or if you have a Mac you can buy a Rocksmith cable for $20 and Garage Band for another $5 to do modeling and recording/mixing.
Quote by buriedinsmoke
Before you do anything rash, check the compatibility of the POD HD500X with your computers OS. Line 6 takes a long time to update their drivers. I updated to "El Capitan" on my iMac and the drivers provided by Line 6 are not compatible. I have been waiting for an update for what seems like forever now and there is no word from Line 6 as to when the problem will be fixed, just a sticky on their forums saying they are aware of an issue. No date, no time frame, no current info at all really. The posts about it go back to July and the beta of El Capitan has been out for 8 months. I would think there should at the very least be an update as to when to expect this issue to be resolved but theres nothing. Line 6 went through the same thing with the last windows update as well so they should have been testing their drivers months ago and already have updated them.

Line 6 isn't the only bit of software to have been F**ked by El Capitan, one of my coursemates says that apparently the latest version of Logic (and many other bits of software) doesn't work since he upgraded to Capitan.
Last edited by ambler3 at Oct 9, 2015,
Quote by brycebomb1311
And I never play out. Strictly bedroom playing, tbh.

You might just look for a Pod HD "bean." It's the least expensive of the Pod HD series, the most compact, and aside from a few I/O bits that you're unlikely to miss, it provides you with everything that the HD500 or the rack version does.

It's also going to be available used for $275 or thereabouts. If you absolutely can't live without a foot pedal, you should be fine with the FBV Express (used) for around $50.
Quote by dspellman
You might just look for a Pod HD "bean." It's the least expensive of the Pod HD series, the most compact, and aside from a few I/O bits that you're unlikely to miss, it provides you with everything that the HD500 or the rack version does.

It's also going to be available used for $275 or thereabouts. If you absolutely can't live without a foot pedal, you should be fine with the FBV Express (used) for around $50.

I really think this is the best option. Given what TS has said his needs are, I think he'd be very happy with a bean.
Quote by brycebomb1311

think about the fact that you need a midi pedal to control the thing + a power amp if you want to practice with a band.

the pod hd500x goes for under 500 used.
and that interface i talk about (line 6 toneport) you can find for under 50 used i think.
Gear:
PRS custom 24 (2000)
PodHD500x (cause i'm poor, upgrade soon)
Custom power amp
Homemade 2x12 (celestion V30 + G12H creamback)

HORSES BLEW FIRE (My band)
UPDATE: I ended up trading my Peavey 5150 for a Line 6 Pod HD500 and a ESP LTD EC-256FM which I then traded for a 2014 Gibson LPJ. I think I made out alright, even though I still need to invest in a powered speaker or maybe just some studio monitors. Opinions? haha
1994 MIJ Fender FotoFlame Stratocaster
2013 Epiphone MKH-7 Les Paul Custom
2015 Legator Helio HSC-200 SE Prototype
2013 Squire Vintage Modified Jazz V
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500
Sell the LPJ and get the stuff you need.
I thought about selling it, but It's actually really growing on me. I didn't think I'd like it because of how chunky it was, because I'm used to more "metal guitars", but with the acquisition of the Phred Languedoc knock off and now this, I'm starting to like the chunky. But its heavier than shit.
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500
If you like it then fair enough. I was just thinking it would be the one you're least attached to since you just got it

I know ive done my fair share of swaps just to flip what I got.
That's what I'm used to doing, but I like all of my current gear tok much to trade it. Usually I keep something for a week tops before it's gone. Just wheelin and dealin. I actually charted my trades for the past year and I've had 22 guitars and 8 amps/effects. Just in the past year.
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500
So coming up in the next week I'm going to be trading the Gibson LPJ (Which I traded an LTD EC-256 for) for an LTD EC-1000 Deluxe in red. I'm pretty stoked.
2010 Schecter Omen 8
Line 6 POD HD500