Are similar parts on most different brands of guitars standardized to some degree? For example, will an Ibanez bolt on neck have the right screw pattern for a Fender body? Will a strat copy trem normally be exchangeable with most other strat copies? Or, do different brands pretty much make their guitars and parts different enough that they are usually not interchangeable? Of course things like tuning machines and pickup routing are standard throughout.
More often than not, no.

Hardware like bridges and tuners are a lot more standardised than they used to be. But almost all brands at some point have deliberately designed hardware in such a way that they're not interchangeable with other parts. It depends on what specific model of guitar you're talking about.

Necks are very rarely interchangeable. In most cases, you need to get a replacement neck from the same guitar model, or at least the same brand.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
More often than not, no.

Hardware like bridges and tuners are a lot more standardised than they used to be. But almost all brands at some point have deliberately designed hardware in such a way that they're not interchangeable with other parts. It depends on what specific model of guitar you're talking about.

Necks are very rarely interchangeable. In most cases, you need to get a replacement neck from the same guitar model, or at least the same brand.

Thanks. Good info. What about parts within an overall Brand? Example would be Fender and Squire.

Tks
Generally USA made guitars like Fender, Gibson, etc. will use Imperial measurements on parts while non-US manufactured guitars like Squire or Epiphone will use Metric. This often mean there will be some differences in parts.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pearl & Ebony • Les Paul PlusTop Pro Honeyburst • AJ220VS • Squier Standard Stratocaster CAR
Marshall Class 5 Combo • Digitech HT-2 • Vox V847 • MXR M68 Uni-Vibe • Soul Food • BOSS SD-1 • Digitech RV-7
Quote by Stillhouse
Generally USA made guitars like Fender, Gibson, etc. will use Imperial measurements on parts while non-US manufactured guitars like Squire or Epiphone will use Metric. This often mean there will be some differences in parts.

Plus Mexican made Fenders are metric too iirc?

I think for Fenders necks are largely interchangeable within a given model, though, right? i.e. any given Strat neck should fit pretty much any Strat
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 
Warning: wall of text trying to answer the question. TL;DR: Too vague to answer, broke it down into parts and made up categories that may or may not be useful. Still mostly has to be answered on a part-by-part basis.

The question is far, far too vague to allow us to give any satisfying answer. It's a good question, but the response is unfortunately "it depends," which means that in most cases you'd just need to ask about specific parts. We can't say anything categorically, at least not with any real accuracy or utility.

For example, the first question was:
Are similar parts on most different brands of guitars standardized to some degree?

Well, that's easy enough. Yes, they are. Of course, that's because they are "similar parts" so by nature it makes sense that they're standardized, at least as you say "to some degree." To what degree, though, is a much harder question because I don't know what unit or standard we'd use to convey it, and they vary wildly. If it were all of them, or none of them, that's simple, but of course it's not. So the answer is "they are standardized to some degree."

That's not a satisfying or particularly useful answer, but without an accounting of each part group and how standardized it happens to be, it's the only practical one. Pots for example are highly standardized, essentially universal. Easy. But what about bridges? Well, TOM bridges are fairly standard, mostly just differing in having US or metric posts, and are generally interchangeable within those two groups - but what about Fender style bridges? That's a total crapshoot. Again we see that a category like "bridges" is too large to make affirmative statements about, so "parts" is even more impossible to work with.

So I think the issue is that the category of "parts" is just way too large to be summed up in one single answer, at least not one that would provide any real insight as to what might or might not be interchangeable.

There's also the problem of what you mean by "interchangeable." For example, a 25K pot from an EMG guitar will drop straight into a guitar with humbuckers, and vice versa for the 500K pot that came with the second guitar.

To answer the question, then, here's what might help. Some categories of parts are more standardized than others. I'd say that a few are essentially universal; we'll call them "universally interchangeable" for short. This means you can usually expect to be able to switch any one from one guitar into a similar format on any other guitar. Some examples:
-Potentiometer dimensions
-Pickup dimensions among common formats (strat type single coil, humbuckers, P-90s, Tele style singe coil, etc)
-Straplock screws
-string gauges

A second category I would call "commonly brand interchangeable" which means that manufacturers share from a pool of common dimensions and parts. This means you can't count on dropping one from any one guitar into any other one, but that you would be likely to be able to swap them from one brand or model onto another one after checking the dimensions. Some examples:
-Truss rod key sizes
-Fender and Gibson type pickguards
-Mounting holes, nuts, and screws for most hardware (including machine heads, which are not universal as suggested in the first post
-Common Fender, Gibson, or third-party branded (Floyd, Kahler, Bigsby) trem units and parts
-Pickup selector switches
-Fender type neck pocket dimensions

The third category I'd call "generally not brand interchangeable" and includes stuff that is more or less locked into an individual model or manufacturer. This is the category where you have to type in exactly what model you need the part for on eBay instead of just searching for "humbucker" or "strat pickguard." Examples:
-Non-Fender or Gibson type pickguards
-OEM Branded trems from major manufacturers besides Fender and Gibson (Ibanez Edge, Lo-Pro, etc bridges; PRS bridges, etc)
-Uncommon pickup formats (e.g., PRS Narrowfield pickups, Fender Wide Range pickups, G&L "Z coil" pickups
-Other purposefully unique or branded embellishments (G-Force tuners; Fender "personality cards," etc)
-Non-Fender type neck pocket dimensions

There are exceptions and outliers, of course, but that's how I'd generally categorize things to answer the question. Unfortunately as you can see there are enough caveats and confounding variables that it's still best to just ask: "Will this neck fit on that guitar?"
Quote by Roc8995
Warning: wall of text trying to answer the question. TL;DR: Too vague to answer, broke it down into parts and made up categories that may or may not be useful. Still mostly has to be answered on a part-by-part basis.

The question is far, far too vague to allow us to give any satisfying answer. It's a good question, but the response is unfortunately "it depends," which means that in most cases you'd just need to ask about specific parts. We can't say anything categorically, at least not with any real accuracy or utility.

For example, the first question was:

Well, that's easy enough. Yes, they are. Of course, that's because they are "similar parts" so by nature it makes sense that they're standardized, at least as you say "to some degree." To what degree, though, is a much harder question because I don't know what unit or standard we'd use to convey it, and they vary wildly. If it were all of them, or none of them, that's simple, but of course it's not. So the answer is "they are standardized to some degree."

That's not a satisfying or particularly useful answer, but without an accounting of each part group and how standardized it happens to be, it's the only practical one. Pots for example are highly standardized, essentially universal. Easy. But what about bridges? Well, TOM bridges are fairly standard, mostly just differing in having US or metric posts, and are generally interchangeable within those two groups - but what about Fender style bridges? That's a total crapshoot. Again we see that a category like "bridges" is too large to make affirmative statements about, so "parts" is even more impossible to work with.

So I think the issue is that the category of "parts" is just way too large to be summed up in one single answer, at least not one that would provide any real insight as to what might or might not be interchangeable.

There's also the problem of what you mean by "interchangeable." For example, a 25K pot from an EMG guitar will drop straight into a guitar with humbuckers, and vice versa for the 500K pot that came with the second guitar.

To answer the question, then, here's what might help. Some categories of parts are more standardized than others. I'd say that a few are essentially universal; we'll call them "universally interchangeable" for short. This means you can usually expect to be able to switch any one from one guitar into a similar format on any other guitar. Some examples:
-Potentiometer dimensions
-Pickup dimensions among common formats (strat type single coil, humbuckers, P-90s, Tele style singe coil, etc)
-Straplock screws
-string gauges

A second category I would call "commonly brand interchangeable" which means that manufacturers share from a pool of common dimensions and parts. This means you can't count on dropping one from any one guitar into any other one, but that you would be likely to be able to swap them from one brand or model onto another one after checking the dimensions. Some examples:
-Truss rod key sizes
-Fender and Gibson type pickguards
-Mounting holes, nuts, and screws for most hardware (including machine heads, which are not universal as suggested in the first post
-Common Fender, Gibson, or third-party branded (Floyd, Kahler, Bigsby) trem units and parts
-Pickup selector switches
-Fender type neck pocket dimensions

The third category I'd call "generally not brand interchangeable" and includes stuff that is more or less locked into an individual model or manufacturer. This is the category where you have to type in exactly what model you need the part for on eBay instead of just searching for "humbucker" or "strat pickguard." Examples:
-Non-Fender or Gibson type pickguards
-OEM Branded trems from major manufacturers besides Fender and Gibson (Ibanez Edge, Lo-Pro, etc bridges; PRS bridges, etc)
-Uncommon pickup formats (e.g., PRS Narrowfield pickups, Fender Wide Range pickups, G&L "Z coil" pickups
-Other purposefully unique or branded embellishments (G-Force tuners; Fender "personality cards," etc)
-Non-Fender type neck pocket dimensions

There are exceptions and outliers, of course, but that's how I'd generally categorize things to answer the question. Unfortunately as you can see there are enough caveats and confounding variables that it's still best to just ask: "Will this neck fit on that guitar?"

Thank you. Gives me a good basis to look deeper.