I've an Ibanez GRG170DX. The truss rod "nut" is stripped.
Is the nut replaceable in this model?
If not, what can I do to turn the damn thing?
I don't have the money for surgeries like complete truss rod replacement.
Thanks

Here's a pic:
On cheaper guitars like this, it's common for the truss rod nut to be welded onto the rod itself. So if you strip it out, you're pretty much fucked. Hence why its so important to use the correctly sized allen wrench and make sure it's in straight.

In a situation like that, the best solution is to get a special hex bit that's undersized at the tip, but gradually becomes oversized along its length. That way, you're maximising your chance of the bit biting into the stripped nut, so that its adjustable again. It can work, but it depends on how badly stripped the nut is. It's worth a try though.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 7, 2015,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
On cheaper guitars like this, it's common for the truss rod nut to be welded onto the rod itself. So if you strip it out, you're pretty much fucked. Hence why its so important to use the correctly sized allen wrench and make sure it's in straight.

In a situation like that, the best solution is to get a special hex bit that's undersized at the tip, but gradually becomes oversized along its length. That way, you're maximising your chance of the bit biting into the stripped nut, so that its adjustable again. It can work, but it depends on how badly stripped the nut is. It's worth a try though.

The thing is it is an used guitar, and I was a newbie when i bought it so i didn't check the nut. Thank you for the suggestion, i will take my 5mm wrench to an auto repair shop and see what they can do.

A new idea... Can I turn it using pliers? As there is a gap between the rod and the fretboard.
you'll probably never find a pair of pliers that'll fit in there. And even if you do, you just can't get enough leverage to turn it.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
you'll probably never find a pair of pliers that'll fit in there. And even if you do, you just can't get enough leverage to turn it.

One more question, how can we be sure whether the nut is melded to the truss rod or not?
I've hope.......
You could do some more research yourself (I assume you've done that already) on people who have had a similar problem with Ibanez guitars. But other than that, there's really no way of knowing if you cannot turn it.
Quote by TheSennaj
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 7, 2015,
If you have access a set of torx drivers you might be able to find one that works,depending on how bad it's stripped it's hard to see in the picture, I have had luck with them before on hex nuts that are rounded off, I've never used them on a truss rod but it would be worth a shot.

As far as pliers go it will probably only work if you could get a pair of needle nosed vise grips to lock on it.
"A well-wound coil is a well-wound coil regardless if it's wound with professional equipment, or if somebody's great-grandmother winds it to an old French recipe with Napoleon's modified coffee grinder and chops off the wire after a mile with an antique guillotine!"
- Bill Lawrence

Come and be with me
Live my twisted dream
Pro devoted pledge
Time for primal concrete sledge

Last edited by Evilnine at Oct 7, 2015,
Is it the socket that is stripped or the thread? I'm assuming the former.

Stewmac sells tapered hex wrenches designed to grab stripped sockets:

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tools/Types_of_Tools/Gripper_Truss_Rod_Wrenches.html

Or you can make your own if you have a grindstone
Well, I've asked the Ibanez dealer in my country. He confirmed that the nut is melded to the rod.

I'll try the tapered wrench technique. And the torx ones.
If that doesn't work I will try to cut the nut to make way for a flat screwdriver.
At last if none of them works, i will cut a wrench's small side, and stick it to the nut and meld it with JB Weld. Then I can use a small wrench turner to adjust. (I'm not sure if the JB Weld can hold it, but worths a try.)

If one of them works i will update my first message so anyone who has the same problem can try it.
Feel free to post your new ideas! Thanks
Last edited by Aeternal at Oct 8, 2015,