Hiya all.

I'm picking up a SBMM Stingray SUB 5, hopefully for Christmas, and I'm looking for a new combo amp to use with it. I'm willing to spend £150, no more. I'm not gigging much, and if I do I have a decent 150W stack at school I can use. I'm looking for a practice amp that sounds good, really. I play a good amount of metal, but more often than not I play Radiohead-ish stuff... So, looking for a mellow sound.

Any suggestions? I know my budget isn't really high enough for decent amps but I can't go any higher.

Woody
Last edited by Bassmania127 at Oct 9, 2015,
Ask in the bass forum (or maybe PM a mod and get this thread moved there)- you'll probably get more and better answers there.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers. Btw, I was looking for the Roland Cube Bass 30 but I can't find any anywhere anymore. I'd like something with effects if possible, I can't always be running my bass through my MacBook for the effects.

Woody
I'm in the states, so can't say for sure about the price range, but Fender Rumbles are pretty good bang for the buck (I have a Rumble 150 head) and are conservatively rated for power. Shopping used gear will definitely stretch your budget, too. I've heard some pretty good things about the Ibanez Promethean combos (I have a P300 head and it's alright for what it cost). The GK MB combos are a good value, and the amps sound great (I also have an MB200 head). Of course the Ampeg BA amps are fantastic, but at the upper end of your budget for the smallest one. IDK anything about Ashdown's sound, but they are probably very common in your neck of the woods, so you may find a good deal on one used. Same with Warwick.
Quote by Basscooker
I'm in the states, so can't say for sure about the price range, but Fender Rumbles are pretty good bang for the buck (I have a Rumble 150 head) and are conservatively rated for power. Shopping used gear will definitely stretch your budget, too. I've heard some pretty good things about the Ibanez Promethean combos (I have a P300 head and it's alright for what it cost). The GK MB combos are a good value, and the amps sound great (I also have an MB200 head). Of course the Ampeg BA amps are fantastic, but at the upper end of your budget for the smallest one. IDK anything about Ashdown's sound, but they are probably very common in your neck of the woods, so you may find a good deal on one used. Same with Warwick.

That's a lot of info, thanks mate. I'll take a look at your suggestions.

Woody
I know it's not the most useful thing to say but in that price range you won't find much that's useful. You won't get the wattage required to play with a drummer, let alone gig, which you tend to need about 250w for (unless it's an acoustic gig).

Rather than get a practise amp that will sound horrible, invest in a USB guitar interface so you can practise through effect and amp models on your computer instead. (With the added bonus of being able to record too.)
Quote by Bassmania127
Hiya all.

I'm picking up a SBMM Stingray SUB 5, hopefully for Christmas, and I'm looking for a new combo amp to use with it. I'm willing to spend £150, no more. I'm not gigging much, and if I do I have a decent 50W stack at school I can use. I'm looking for a practice amp that sounds good, really. I play a good amount of metal, but more often than not I play Radiohead-ish stuff... So, looking for a mellow sound.

Any suggestions? I know my budget isn't really high enough for decent amps but I can't go any higher.

Woody

Your problem is your budget, I overcame this when I started building my own cabs.
If you're using a 5 string you will definitely need a substantial set up to produce the low 'B', the speaker that I use costs 229 Euros trade.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
For simply home practice, that amp will do. It has an aux in, and headphone out if needed. 30 watts through a 10" speaker can get loud enough to give the room a bit of a shake. There's an effects loop, too. Not a bad starter amp at all. Like I said earlier, the Rumbles are decent bang for the buck. Plus, in this case, buying new gives you that security of a warranty, which for an entry-level amp isn't a bad thing. They churn these out by the thousands so there will be some bad ones.

I agree with the above post referencing much more power for gigging, or even playing with a drummer, but you said you have that covered. You did say "50 watt stack", though, which is still very low in power. Is it a bass rig? I'm thinking if it's a stack, it may be a guitar amp. It will amplify the bass, and it will produce sound, but it's never a good idea to throw bass into guitar speakers.
Quote by Bassmania127
Hi, I'm not looking for a gigging amp, I already have one I can use. Just looking for a cheap combo amp to use for practice. I have a USB audio interface already, but I can't use that all the time.

Fair enough. I highly recommend Hartke practise amps, very good sound for the wattage and price and also nice and portable.

I had one of these: Hartke A35. You might be able to find one a little cheaper to just slot into your budget.

They recently overhauled the Rumble series but the last series was dismal, definitely try before you buy.
fender rumble and ampeg smaller amps aren't bad. i don't find the new rumbles dismal, but they don't have the beef i prefer, and lots of people on TB love 'em.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by Basscooker
For simply home practice, that amp will do. It has an aux in, and headphone out if needed. 30 watts through a 10" speaker can get loud enough to give the room a bit of a shake. There's an effects loop, too. Not a bad starter amp at all. Like I said earlier, the Rumbles are decent bang for the buck. Plus, in this case, buying new gives you that security of a warranty, which for an entry-level amp isn't a bad thing. They churn these out by the thousands so there will be some bad ones.

I agree with the above post referencing much more power for gigging, or even playing with a drummer, but you said you have that covered. You did say "50 watt stack", though, which is still very low in power. Is it a bass rig? I'm thinking if it's a stack, it may be a guitar amp. It will amplify the bass, and it will produce sound, but it's never a good idea to throw bass into guitar speakers.

Thanks for your reply. I'm not much into the jargon in the guitar world, I didn't realise stack wasn't interchangeable with amp. It's a Warwick BC150 Combo, and to be honest I never perform other than when I'm dragged in for school concerts (to 500-800 people normally).

Anyway, this Fender Rumble looks pretty great. It's around the right sound I'm looking for in a practice amp, and it's really cheap (which surprised me). Unfortunately the company who sells it for this currently don't take credit card, so I'll have to order it by phone on Monday.

Woody
Last edited by Bassmania127 at Oct 11, 2015,