#1
I keep getting shocked (to a small scale) when I'm playing my bass on my amp, I can even hear the static when I put my arm up close to the strings. I don't know if I'm imagining it but I can honestly feel a slight tingle in my hair or body when I'm playing.

I stopped now because I don't want to keep getting stung, can someone with a similar problem explain why this is happening? and how can I fix it?

I don't think there's a problem with the amp since it's relatively new, the leads I use are old and faulty though.


I kind of want to keep playing though so if it's not dangerous or has no long term effects i'll just stop being a lil bitch and play
how do you edit signature?
Last edited by arvarna at Oct 7, 2015,
#2
Grounding in your practice space?

Beside that, i have the problem when i'm close to my pc. If my guitar is plugged in my amp and i get too close to my pc i get shocked.
#5
Time to sort out your electrical issue. A tingle is the last warning before ZZZZZZAAAPPP!!!


Likely causes:
-Failed ground wire from amp to wall
-Failed ground inside wall socket
-Mis-wired wall socket with reversed polarity
-Mis-wired building with mixed polarity
"Your sound is in your hands as much as anything. It's the way you pick, and the way you hold the guitar, more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." -- Stevie Ray Vaughan

"Anybody can play. The note is only 20 percent. The attitude of the motherfucker who plays it is 80 percent." -- Miles Davis

Guthrie on tone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmohdG9lLqY
#6
I had a guitar that did this too. IIRC it was a wiring issue in the guitar. Bad ground. I use a wireless setup these days so there is no chance of wall electricity frying me or tripping over cables.
#7
Quote by Tallwood13
when i was getting into preventing shocks this was very insightful. Start by trying different cables and amps and work your way from there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS_5K5YEYv8

however there is a mod I put into electric guitars to reduce electric shocks on higher end wirings I do



That video is informative but seems to confuse the difference between static electricity and dynamic electricity. The body capacitance will accept the AC current coming from the voltage leaking from an amplifier's capacitor, or the parasitic capacitance of the windings on a transformer. This is the source of the tingling you sometimes feel, and this current flows into and out of your body at 60Hz even if you are *not* standing on wet concrete with bare feet. [In fact if you measure the open-circuit voltage on your guitar strings before touching them with your body's capacitance it might be as high as the wall-plug voltage.] The danger is present, of course, that you might at some point make contact with your body between your guitar strings and another correctly-grounded piece of equipment like the microphone (with your hands or lips), and then this current can flow at a much higher level. This is because it is no longer only charging and discharging the body capacitance but actually flowing through the body to the ground between the two different voltages of your amp's 'ground' and the true ground. This is the risk that this current can take a path through the heart and kill you.
#8
Definitely grounding issue, one of the ground wires I suspect is loose and touching something.. If you have some knowledge in electronics and own a volt meter, try to find which wire is faulty. I repeat the bass should NOT be plugged into your amp.
Does it have active or passive pickups? Do you immediately get shocked or certain motion induces shock? maybe your body has accumulated a static charge and you receive a shock when you touch the bass strings (grounding). Try dissipate the static from your body by touch something metal before touching the bass.