Ive been looking at these two amps for a while to replace my Peavey 6505+ combo. I play thrash like Overkill, Exodus, Testament, Metallica, Megadeth, and some Pantera and would be wanting something that may get close to that kind of thrash sound. Which would be better?
The Peavey can cover almost all of that as is.

I have an older RG and my 5150 (older 6505) blows it way for that music.

Have you tried the green channel, crunch on, gain around 2-3 o'clock and the eq all around 5?

What don't you like about the Peavey?

I think of the green crunch as a boosted Marshall sound (especially with a tube screamer) which is what all of those guys played at one phase or another save Pantera.
Guitars:
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
The peavey sounds like it has a pillow over the speaker unless I have an eq going through it and I just want something a little bigger.
Throwing a V30 into it will probably fix all your woes. Better tubes would help too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I already changed the tubes, but like I said im also looking for a new amp just to have something a little bigger.
They're plenty big enough. The stock speaker is a POS. Instead of a new amp, why not a bigger cab?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
As stated above, the stock speaker is really holding you back. The amp is not.

Not that those other heads wouldn't be good for thrash, but the 6505+ combo does a very nice job of that on the rhythm channel with the gain turned up to 5-7 and boosted. [provided you upgrade that speaker]

It is also a very easy amp to convert to a head. I did that, and run it on top of a 412 cab with Eminence Swamp Thangs and Governors. It'll peel people's faces off if I go above "3" on the post gain. For thrash, I'd go with all Governors or V 30s though. The Swamp Thangs push it into death metal territory a little more -- which is fine with me.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Yeah why bigger? I mean hey, if you want a full stack have at it man, I won't stop you, but if it's a volume thing then I'd stick with the Peavey as it will most likely be almost as loud as the Marshall and probably louder than the Randall.

As far as it sounding muffled, are you giving it a good bit of volume? Most amps are going to sound a bit mellow at low volumes, tube or otherwise. As far as a speaker upgrade, that really does open it up a ton (speaking from experience here). If running an EQ in the loop opens it up I'd think even more that a speaker would do it as you are essentially changing the last thing that tweaks the frequency response of your amp and thus can have a dramatic effect on openness and sound quality in general.

If you just want a new amp, fair enough, I've been there (like, 30+ times at this point). But don't get a new amp if you can do minor tweaks to the one you have and get what you want. While neither of the other amps you mentioned are bad, I wouldn't consider them a huge step up for the sounds you want. You may like them better, and in that case go for it, but I bet that the sound you want is kicking around in that Peavey somewhere, I kept mine longer than any other amp I've had precisely because it was so good at right metal riffing.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.