okay i'm sure people are growing tired of me going back and forth. I've decided i want a tele and a es 355 style guitar. only problem is that the es 355 is expensive as sht, so lets say i buy a kit of the same wood and neck, as well as the gold hardware, pots, pickups etc... would that have any chance of sounding close to the real thing? i cant decide what i want on the headstock, i like the look of the es 355's logo but also like the look on the epiphone sheraton a bit better, but i dont want the epiphone logo on there, so i was wondering if anyone knew what i could do.. obviously there's stickers but i want one with an actual inlay not just a sticker...

Last edited by GuitarNewbee at Oct 8, 2015,
Semihollows are a much more complicated build than a solidbody. You'd be better off buying a semihollow and building the Tele.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Semihollows are a much more complicated build than a solidbody. You'd be better off buying a semihollow and building the Tele.

why are they more complicated? not that i dont believe you, just wondering.
A hollowbody or semihollow has to be made in such a way to support the relatively thin, sometimes resonant top. That alone requires a bit more precision than messing with solid blocks of material.

Consider the delicacy of working with something that can be completely broken by carelessness with tools vs materials that- if you damage them- you may need only sand them down a bit for your error to vanish.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Quote by GuitarNewbee
why are they more complicated? not that i dont believe you, just wondering.

Because of the chambering, basically. A hollow body electric is built like an acoustic. The fact that it's hollow means that wood needs to be bent to shape, several pieces precisely put together, and the shape and bracing fine tuned to produce the acoustic sound. Whereas a solidbody electric, no matter how high end, or what shape, is still basically a block of wood with pickups stuck in it. That's why the ES-335 you want is more expensive than a tele. And why custom handmade acoustic guitars can cost literally 10-20 times the price of even extremely high end electrics.

If you want to build a guitar out of a kit, a tele is pretty much perfect. You should be able to just get a body and a neck and some hardware and throw it together. Building anything with a hollowbody is gonna be a much more involved process, even if you're not doing anything particularly fancy with it. Unless you can just get prebuilt hollow bodies. Which you probably can, now that I think about it. But yeah, still. All that stuff. Is basically why acoustics and hollow bodies are more expensive than electrics.
Guitars
Schecter Hellraiser C-1FR, C-1 Classic, Hellraiser Hybrid Solo-II, Special Edition E-1FR-S
Orange Rockerverb 50 212
Basses
Yamaha RBX374 and Washburn MB-6
you could look into a Sublime Chieftain. excellent components and craftsmanship, used under $400 for sure. i got turned onto them by a guy at my church. he got one, then two other guys got one, then i did. all of us are very happy with them. one guy has two of their electrics and another has an acoustic.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you’re going to try to save money it would be cheaper to buy a nice South Korean guitar instead of buying a kit and lots of expensive parts. Schecter’s Corsair is an excellent 355 style guitar that runs between $750 and $900 depending on the model. There are other variants of this guitar, all from the same factory, that sell for more money.

If you’re handy and don’t mind doing some work yourself you can always buy a used Ibanez Artcore and swap the parts out for whatever you think would be best.
Quote by jpnyc
If you’re going to try to save money it would be cheaper to buy a nice South Korean guitar instead of buying a kit and lots of expensive parts. Schecter’s Corsair is an excellent 355 style guitar that runs between $750 and $900 depending on the model. There are other variants of this guitar, all from the same factory, that sell for more money.

If you’re handy and don’t mind doing some work yourself you can always buy a used Ibanez Artcore and swap the parts out for whatever you think would be best.

i would go artcore over schecter for that. the artcores are pretty awesome with new pickups. a good friend has a nice artcore (i think it is this one: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-artcore-as93-electric-guitar )

plays and sounds great. the pickups aren't my favorite though.

it may be worth looking into godin. i know its a full hollow, but i really like the kingpin that i played.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
The Ibanez Artcores are a very good option. I almost bought one as my first electric. I asked my instructor about them, and his opinion was essentially if he hadn't already owned a better guitar in that style, he'd be buying one for himself. They have a LOT of quality features for the price.

The Godins are also nice. Made in Canada, generally very good quality control.

Gretsch and Hagstrom also have nice doublecut semi/full hollowbodies that are worth considering. And then, there are the D'Angelicos and Heritages...but those all cost more than $1000. (*sigh*)

Under $1000 though, my favorite double cuts are those in the Reverend Manta Ray series, equipped with humbuckers or P90s:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_udlo=200&_sop=15&geo_id=10232&MT_ID=69&crlp=79338490357_867&rlsatarget=aud-126380771769%3Akwd-6305999741&keyword=reverend+manta+ray&ul_ref=http%253A%252F%252Frover.ebay.com%252Frover%252F1%252F711-42618-2056-0%252F2%253Fmpre%253Dhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.ebay.com%25252Fulk%25252Fsch%25252F%25253F_nkw%25253Dreverend%25252520manta%25252520ray%2526keyword%253Dreverend%252520manta%252520ray%2526crlp%253D79338490357_867%2526MT_ID%253D69%2526geo_id%253D10232%2526rlsatarget%253Daud-126380771769%253Akwd-6305999741%2526adpos%253D1t1%2526device%253Dt%2526loc%253D9026798%2526poi%253D%2526treatment_id%253D7%2526srcrot%253D711-42618-2056-0%2526rvr_id%253D908027415471&_mPrRngCbx=1&clk_rvr_id=908027415471&treatment_id=7&_odkw=reverend+manta+ray&adpos=1t1&ul_noapp=true&device=t&crdt=0&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=reverend+manta+ray&_sacat=619

https://reverb.com/marketplace/electric-guitars?query=Manta+ray+reverend&sort=price%7Casc

i tried a hagstrom a while ago, and quite liked it.

i would take my chieftain over it any day though.

i wasn't overly thrilled with the gretsch models in that price range in comparison to other compaines.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Gretsch guitars tend to feel really nice to me, but admittedly tend to deliver a twangier tone...

well i believe that wood doesnt make a difference to tone (it does but its not really significant) so if your handy with tools and dont mind buying some expensive pickups to replace the shitty ones that come with kits you should be able to get a 335 tone if you get the gibbo pickups. as for a tele... i bought a squier classic vibe and modded the shit out of it. now its a fucking ball tearer
A kit, assuming that the quality of the wood and the precision of the manufacture, can be made as good as the original guitar. This also assumes that the person putting the kit together and finishing it has the same skills as the people who do it every day for a living.
Quote by dspellman
.... can be made as good as the original guitar. This also assumes that the person putting the kit together and finishing it has the same skills as the people who do it every day for a living.

Head/nail interface.

But then with the skill of a luthier at your disposal why would you even bother with a kit in the first place?

With practice, skill and experience there is no reason why you couldn't make a good guitar. The big unknown is, how many bad guitars would you make before you made a good one.

The question - "Why is it easier to make a solid body guitar compared to a hollow?" would suggest that you shouldn't.

The fist step in building a guitar, as many have noted, is to get a finished guitar and modify the living daylights out of it. That should at least give some degree of experience before diving in and starting a new build.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Quote by the_bi99man
Because of the chambering, basically. A hollow body electric is built like an acoustic. The fact that it's hollow means that wood needs to be bent to shape, several pieces precisely put together, and the shape and bracing fine tuned to produce the acoustic sound. Whereas a solidbody electric, no matter how high end, or what shape, is still basically a block of wood with pickups stuck in it. That's why the ES-335 you want is more expensive than a tele. And why custom handmade acoustic guitars can cost literally 10-20 times the price of even extremely high end electrics.

If you want to build a guitar out of a kit, a tele is pretty much perfect. You should be able to just get a body and a neck and some hardware and throw it together. Building anything with a hollowbody is gonna be a much more involved process, even if you're not doing anything particularly fancy with it. Unless you can just get prebuilt hollow bodies. Which you probably can, now that I think about it. But yeah, still. All that stuff. Is basically why acoustics and hollow bodies are more expensive than electrics.

the pre built body is what i was reffering to, i meant, what if i buy a pre built neck and body that matches an es 335/355 and then buy the rest of the stuff like actual brand hardware and the pickups...
and by kit i just meant that i'm buying the body and the neck already made. Not buying the version with all that shitty chinese stuff..
wasn't actually planning on building a hollow body because that obviously more difficult...
So not really a kit as much as a Partscaster.

If you choose quality, well built, components and screw them together you would deserve a good kicking if you didn't end up with a good guitar.

However, you will spend as much as buying a guitar of similar spec, but it it will be worth nowhere near the sum of the parts if you try to sell it.
Please note: The above comments are based on my experience, and may represent my perception of that experience. This may not be accurate and, subject to the style of music you play, may be irrelevant or wrong.
Quote by John Sims
So not really a kit as much as a Partscaster.

If you choose quality, well built, components and screw them together you would deserve a good kicking if you didn't end up with a good guitar.

However, you will spend as much as buying a guitar of similar spec, but it it will be worth nowhere near the sum of the parts if you try to sell it.

well i want something like a gibson es 335, would you say that the cost of making one like that would be near the cost of just buying an actual one? i've yet to look into it, but yes, i do want quality parts.
i was thinking this for the body
http://www.guitarfetish.com/FF-Series-ES-335-style-Long-Tenon-Maple-Body-with-Binding_p_15848.html

and this for the neck
http://www.guitarfetish.com/FF-Series-ES-335-style-Long-Tenon-SET-NECk-with-vintage-Block-inlays_p_15843.html

only individual es 335 style body and necks i can find. Other stuff on guitar fetish comes with all those crappy tuners and stuff... it also says its unfinished and needs some tlc, do you by any chance know what that means???
Quote by GuitarNewbee
…it also says its unfinished and needs some tlc, do you by any chance know what that means???

It means that the wood isn’t finished. You’ll have to mask off anything that isn’t wood, apply grain filler, sand the wood, stain the wood, and seal the wood yourself. You might want to take a few woodworking lessons first.
Quote by GuitarNewbee
i was thinking this for the body
http://www.guitarfetish.com/FF-Series-ES-335-style-Long-Tenon-Maple-Body-with-Binding_p_15848.html

and this for the neck
http://www.guitarfetish.com/FF-Series-ES-335-style-Long-Tenon-SET-NECk-with-vintage-Block-inlays_p_15843.html

only individual es 335 style body and necks i can find. Other stuff on guitar fetish comes with all those crappy tuners and stuff... it also says its unfinished and needs some tlc, do you by any chance know what that means???

That would likely be a poor choice. Guitar fetish isn't bad, but they aren't known for high quality. By the time you get that and components you would have a ok guitar that is not worth anything more than its parts, which you will also lose on.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by jpnyc
It means that the wood isn’t finished. You’ll have to mask off anything that isn’t wood, apply grain filler, sand the wood, stain the wood, and seal the wood yourself. You might want to take a few woodworking lessons first.

Might need fretwork too.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Quote by GuitarNewbee
well i want something like a gibson es 335, would you say that the cost of making one like that would be near the cost of just buying an actual one? i've yet to look into it, but yes, i do want quality parts.

The cheapest ES-335 style kit I know of is this one at $199
www.guitarfetish.com/335-Set-Neck-Kit-Flamed-maple-Bound-Rosewood-fingerboard_p_4481.html

But by the time you buy the upgraded pickups and parts, you will be way above the price of a new Epiphone DOT. If I were you I'd look in the used market, the Epi Dot runs $200ish used

Now if you are cool with that and would like the experience of making your own guitar, then a kit is a great place to get started
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Oct 8, 2015,
Quote by Robbgnarly
The cheapest ES-335 style kit I know of is this one at $199
www.guitarfetish.com/335-Set-Neck-Kit-Flamed-maple-Bound-Rosewood-fingerboard_p_4481.html

But by the time you buy the upgraded pickups and parts, you will be way above the price of a new Epiphone DOT. If I were you I'd look in the used market, the Epi Dot runs $200ish used

Now if you are cool with that and would like the experience of making your own guitar, then a kit is a great place to get started

i'm not trying to go for a epiphone dot, i want a gibson quality one. But the gibson ones are about 2-3k, i was thinking of maybe investing about 1500$ or so...
Quote by trashedlostfdup
That would likely be a poor choice. Guitar fetish isn't bad, but they aren't known for high quality. By the time you get that and components you would have a ok guitar that is not worth anything more than its parts, which you will also lose on.

yeah i know, but unfortunately i can't find better if gibson wouldn't have sued warmoth for making gibson shapes, warmoth probably would have an es 335 style that actually looks like an es 335... instead of the new shapes that look different cause gibson got pissy...
do you know of any better places to buy a pre built body? sort of like warmoth quality?
If you have 1500, you can absolutely get a good used 335 or 335 clone.

Heritage, Epi Elitist, Eastman, Reverend, Hagstrom, Ibanez, and plenty of others all make awesome 335 type guitars under 1500, and they're going to be loads better than a first attempt at a kit.
You could just save up for an actual Gibson 335 and be happier in the long run. Sure, it might take some time, but if you do it right the first time rather than burning a hole in your pocket trying to avoid the high price you will be ahead of the game. You could settle for an Epiphone Dot, or an Ibanez offering, or some other brand that makes a similar model - and those similar models may be close in quality or even better depending upon the manufacturer. But, if you want a real deal Gibson ES335 - you'll have to pay for it. No way to get around that fact.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350, Epiphone ES-339 P90, Epiphone ES-335 Pro. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX.
Quote by Roc8995
If you have 1500, you can absolutely get a good used 335 or 335 clone.

Heritage, Epi Elitist, Eastman, Reverend, Hagstrom, Ibanez, and plenty of others all make awesome 335 type guitars under 1500, and they're going to be loads better than a first attempt at a kit.

i know but i'm really picky, i dont want dot inlays, i want block ones...
If you're picky, you're probably going to hate how a first-draft, cheap semi-hollow kit sounds and plays! Seriously, they're hard to get right, and you're not going to save any money at this price point by building your own if you want it to be great. Tons of used options here, there's something out there for you.

I've seen Hagstrom, Heritage, Ibanez, and Eastman semi-hollows with blocks, Gibson has done some short run 335s and I think 335 faded models with blocks which I bet can be had used around that price point, or you could buy any one of a dozen totally great $1000 dot clones and have someone inlay blocks on it for you.
Quote by GuitarNewbee
i'm not trying to go for a epiphone dot, i want a gibson quality one. But the gibson ones are about 2-3k, i was thinking of maybe investing about 1500$ or so...

If you want gibson quality, you need to buck up and spend money on quality parts (regarding ^).

I think a dot wouldn't be too bad and it is staying in the Gibson family (whether you care or not).

Also if you want to spend that much money, refer to collin's post.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
Why has no one mentioned that yes it can be just as good if not better if OP knows what they are doing.... i built a les paul and it is way better than any les paul i have ever tried. Looks are not the greatest and the truss rod was broken and irrepairable but it plays like a dream and holds its tuning which is saying a lot for a les paul. It was 150 total (72 on ebay and 75 for someone to solder it cuz I failedd miserably and had to buy 5 in new knobs)

If u can build it it will play well. If u cant well u just lucked out lol.

But to build your own instrument will just feel better playing it. Your ego will sound better thru the amp lmao.
You're getting a warning now. Stop bumping old threads. Check the postage date of the thread on the bottom left-hand corner of everyone's posts before posting anything yourself.

You keep necroing threads from the 8th oct 2015 specifically. Hmmmm...
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee