Hey guys!

I'm trying to get a better sound out of my bass right now I'm loving the deep tone I'm getting out of it but when I try and do slap bass it sounds like crap and I'm wondering is there anything I can do tone wise (high mid and lows) to make it sound like what I hear on YouTube.

I am currently running an Epiphone Thunderbird IV Pro through an TC Electronic BG250-115 Bass combo amplifier.

Do I need an pedals, or do I need to run it through a pre-amp or anything, if you guys could help I'd really appreciate it
You may have to spend some time tweaking EQ in order to get a good slap sound. A few suggestions:

1) Your Thunderbird has two pickups - adjust the volume or the pan so that the bridge pickup is favored over the neck pickup

2) Cut the mids, or boost the lows and highs on your amplifier

3) Use a preamp if you are going direct, and then refer to number 2 above

Just remember that these settings are specific to slapping.
Quote by aaronfield6
About 2 months, I don't always have the money to change them due to rent and stuff

Get Elixirs, unless you use them. They tend to sound fresh for a few good months.

Usually good slapping sounds as most things bass depends on how fresh are your strings.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
compressor

and i can get good slapping tones out of my DR hi-beams which are a year old. they play a factor, but bass strings last a ridiculous amount of time
modes are a social construct
Well, Thunderbird is really not known for its slap tones... Not saying you couldn't play slap on it, but it has its own kind of tone and you can't really expect it to sound like a Jazz Bass or a Stingray.

It could also be in your technique.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Fresh strings, compressor, and an EQ/preamp with a heavy low mid scoop would probably do it. It's not the ideal bass though.
A Thunderbird has a great low-end range, but they don't tend to be massively articulate.
I agree with above posts that a thunderbird isn't going to be great for that style. Uphill battle. Your amp has a preamp already. If it has a "contour" or some other on board tone setting besides just eq, try engaging it. A heavy scoop in the low mids will help. Highs and high mids are where the clank is, so boost those a bit. Low mids help bring thunder, but aren't friendly to slap, especially with a bass like a Tbird. If you have an input gain pad, don't turn it on.
One of the best investments I made was a 19", 1U rack mounted 5 band parametric EQ.
You can control the slope and bandwidth but most of all you can select the frequency of each band which you can then cut or boost.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
John and Corrosion called this one
Ibanez BTB 1006 Fretless and 405 (no Barts)
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Genz Benz NeoX400 112T & NeoX 112T cab.
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Boss: SYB-5, PS-2, OD-20, EQ-20, PH-3,BF-3, CE-20, DD-20
Morely A/B
You can get another couple of gigs by boiling your strings which brings the zing back for a short period.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by aaronfield6
Hey guys!

I'm trying to get a better sound out of my bass right now I'm loving the deep tone I'm getting out of it but when I try and do slap bass it sounds like crap and I'm wondering is there anything I can do tone wise (high mid and lows) to make it sound like what I hear on YouTube.

I am currently running an Epiphone Thunderbird IV Pro through an TC Electronic BG250-115 Bass combo amplifier.

Do I need an pedals, or do I need to run it through a pre-amp or anything, if you guys could help I'd really appreciate it

It's not your strings, not your guitar. Don't bother boiling anything just yet.

It's more the EQ section of that combo and the speaker cabinet/combination. Slap incorporates a lot of mids and treble (to give it that slap snap), and you'll likely find that the treble side of things on that amp really doesn't start showing up until you rotate the treble past about 3/4 open. In addition to the shortfall of EQ, you've probably found that your mids and low mids are lacking a bit. I'm using cabinets that have a 15" LF driver and a 1" tweeter, but that also incorporate a 6.5" mids driver. No issues making the thing sound like a Seinfeld segue.
It is called a Thunderbird for a reason.

John Entwistle of The Who, the guy who really popularized the Modern Bass Tone used to use the Bodies of the TBird and the Necks of the Precision, until Alembic made him the Borris the Spider Bass.

He was a tone hound, lots of Treble, so it has to be there somewhere.

So, Aquavelva or rubbing alcohol on the strings, or boil them. I recommend a new set of Elixers.

Second thing that can be done, a Stomp EQ. When I auditioned for Northside H.S. for the Performing Arts back when I was a kid, there was this little kid with his bass and an MXR EQ between his legs, he would change that from song to song and just hammer away.

After this, make sure your pick ups are at the correct level, about 1/3 of an inch The more power you get from them against the strings, the less you have to pull.

Action, get it as low as you can so you can easily exploit the fret noise to add to the slap effect.

Larry Graham popularized this technique, and did not have a 3 way cabinet when he started. So, chase the Treble. It is there, go get it,
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Quote by dspellman
It's not your strings, not your guitar. Don't bother boiling anything just yet.

It's more the EQ section of that combo and the speaker cabinet/combination. Slap incorporates a lot of mids and treble (to give it that slap snap), and you'll likely find that the treble side of things on that amp really doesn't start showing up until you rotate the treble past about 3/4 open. In addition to the shortfall of EQ, you've probably found that your mids and low mids are lacking a bit. I'm using cabinets that have a 15" LF driver and a 1" tweeter, but that also incorporate a 6.5" mids driver. No issues making the thing sound like a Seinfeld segue.

What frequency do you crossover you 8.5" mid?
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Sliide90027
It is called a Thunderbird for a reason.

John Entwistle of The Who, the guy who really popularized the Modern Bass Tone used to use the Bodies of the TBird and the Necks of the Precision, until Alembic made him the Borris the Spider Bass.

He was a tone hound, lots of Treble, so it has to be there somewhere.

So, Aquavelva or rubbing alcohol on the strings, or boil them. I recommend a new set of Elixers.

Second thing that can be done, a Stomp EQ. When I auditioned for Northside H.S. for the Performing Arts back when I was a kid, there was this little kid with his bass and an MXR EQ between his legs, he would change that from song to song and just hammer away.

After this, make sure your pick ups are at the correct level, about 1/3 of an inch The more power you get from them against the strings, the less you have to pull.

Action, get it as low as you can so you can easily exploit the fret noise to add to the slap effect.

Larry Graham popularized this technique, and did not have a 3 way cabinet when he started. So, chase the Treble. It is there, go get it,

John Entwistle originally went to the factory for strings that hadn't had the final finishing which took out some of the zing.
I was putting a HF unit in my cabs way back in the 70s long before it became common practice.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Yep John. I was playing with distortion on bass before Max Webster and Cliff Burton.

It was said back in those days that The Rolling Stones' Under My Thumb was done with razor slits in the speaker cones. I was not going to make that kind of commitment.
456 & 455(w/Barts)
Digitech BP-8 (x2)
Yamaha PB-1
Morely A/B
Quote by Sliide90027
Yep John. I was playing with distortion on bass before Max Webster and Cliff Burton.

It was said back in those days that The Rolling Stones' Under My Thumb was done with razor slits in the speaker cones. I was not going to make that kind of commitment.

I built a distortion box for my Bass when playing the Whole Lotta Rosie riff.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn