Hi, I wondered if anyone had tried the insanely cheap Behringer XM8500 microphone?

I needed a vocal mic for a gig at short notice. I couldn't stretch to an SM58 at the time so thought I would try this Behringer clone of the SM58. I bought it brand new for £17 (they retail in the US for $20). I expected it to sound really cheap and nasty but to my surprise it actually sounded fine. I've since went on to record guitar with this, I think it lacks a bit of the midrange of an SM57 but it suits me fine. I like the mic and at this price I really can't complain.

Anybody else tried one?
Not that particular one, but I have tried a few cheap SM clones over the years. They are mostly perfectly acceptable - like you said, they aren't as good as the genuine article but if you go into the purchase with realistic expectations you normally won't be disappointed.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I AB'd one against an actual 58 a little while ago. It's not awful! It was a bit harsher than the 58 (guessing around it's presence peak), and lacked a bit of the body, but not a bad substitute at al given the price!
I've used an XM8500 for recording and they are a bargain at the price.

This was a quick dirty demo I did a while ago using a Vox VT20+ amp with the mic in front of the speaker,

https://soundcloud.com/paulsheppard/xm8500

They are ok as a budget mic for Vocals as well.
Last edited by Sheppola at Oct 19, 2015,
I got a Behringer XM8500 for my wifes karaoke setup , ( it's was cheap ) and it blow me away so put it next to my Sm58 and ..well it's not a Prefect copy I would say it has it's own Thing going around the same area and that's a very good thing,

it's SUPER value & a Excellent Vocal mic for sure, if you want to get technical the EQ is alittle difference but your being a dick if you want to get negative towards it,. any differences are Personally prospective. I can easily see an Vocalist preferring the XM8500 Over the Sm58.

IMO there's far more variance in guitar pickups labeled "Vintage PAF" then a XM8500 compared to an SM85.

my only concern is Built Quality, Behringer does do some super gear at 20% the price of the big boys but some items barely last the afew months while others i have had for year without issues.

it's a gamble but you can always but 5 of them for the price of a SM58 =)
Last edited by T4D at Oct 20, 2015,
Hi T4D. Yes, you're right. I bought the Behringer simply because it was all I could afford, intending to use it only for one gig. However, I never got round to replacing my SM58 and now use an XM8500 for all my live vocals .You're right the EQ is a little different but nothing that can't be cured with a little tweak on the mixing desk. You're right about the build quality though, I have seen SM58s severely punished and dented and they still work a treat. I doubt the Behringer would survive a fall. But like you say, very cheap to replace and subsequently you don't need to be too precious about it and worry about it getting stolen.