I've been playing guitar for a while, but I may have mentioned that I was playing a guitar that was too big for me. Playing on that made my shoulder go very bad.

Backstory: I was at school, and was heading upstairs. Just as I reached the 2nd floor, some jerk pushed me and a few others, and we took a tumble down the stairs. Once I had gotten over the initial impact of hitting the ground, I realized it as I was getting back to my feet. It was hurting like crazy to move my left arm. (I didn't think it would be this bad, I was wearing a leather jacket! Those things have padded shoulders!!) Oh well, enough with my outfit of the day - I went to the nurse's office, and asked her to have a look. After getting my jacket off, I saw something I didn't want to see. My left shoulder was entirely dislocated. After a few attempts by the nurse (Bless her heart! She had to put up with my yells of pain!), I was sent to the ER. I mean the thing hurt so bad that I had to be sedated to adjust my shoulder! (Sedation is different from anesthesia).

So despite that happening quite a while back (like 3 years), it still gives me trouble. So what can I do to keep it from getting painful while I'm playing.

I sold that wrong sized guitar, and I'm getting a 3/4 size, FYI.
First, consult a physical therapist about your range of motion if your injury is still bothering you this long after. Your assailant ought to be paying for your recovery, since he was responsible for the injury and all ensuing costs. Pushing someone down a flight of stairs is usually considered a criminal act.

That said, a normal size person should be able to play a normal size guitar, but if your injury interferes with your range of motion, it's hard for anyone to know how that should be accommodated without actually seeing it. Can you describe what exactly causes pain?
Last edited by cdgraves at Oct 8, 2015,
Definitely consult a physical therapist before playing another note. The last thing you want to is cause permanent inflammation or other kind of long-term injury.
I make backing tracks for bass and guitar players. Check 'em out here.
You really should see a professional medical person. I had a ski accident where I fell head first into a concrete lift berm. My shoulder dislocated and I had to be emergency sledded down. It hurt like hell. I feel your pain. When in the clinic, they yanked on my sweater on my hurt arm getting it off so forcefully I thought I was going to pass out, but the yank was so forceful it popped my shoulder back into place and the pain all went away. I was so happy. I never had any lasting effects. If you do, I think there's definitely something likely very wrong that you need to look at. Also, if you're playing with a lot of tension in your shoulder, you may be making it worse. Definitely get it looked at.
Quote by maulin0820
I've been playing guitar for a while, but I may have mentioned that I was playing a guitar that was too big for me. Playing on that made my shoulder go very bad.

Backstory: I was at school, and was heading upstairs. Just as I reached the 2nd floor, some jerk pushed me and a few others, and we took a tumble down the stairs. Once I had gotten over the initial impact of hitting the ground, I realized it as I was getting back to my feet. It was hurting like crazy to move my left arm. (I didn't think it would be this bad, I was wearing a leather jacket! Those things have padded shoulders!!) Oh well, enough with my outfit of the day - I went to the nurse's office, and asked her to have a look. After getting my jacket off, I saw something I didn't want to see. My left shoulder was entirely dislocated. After a few attempts by the nurse (Bless her heart! She had to put up with my yells of pain!), I was sent to the ER. I mean the thing hurt so bad that I had to be sedated to adjust my shoulder! (Sedation is different from anesthesia).

So despite that happening quite a while back (like 3 years), it still gives me trouble. So what can I do to keep it from getting painful while I'm playing.

I sold that wrong sized guitar, and I'm getting a 3/4 size, FYI.

see a doctor then call your lawyer.
Sounds like physio may be your only option as it sounds like you have bad ligament damage.