Page 1 of 2
I have seen more Squiers than I would like. I tried them, played them, and basically find them a poor persons guitar. They sound fine with distortion due to obvious reasons, but no matter what amp I connect them to I hate the sound. A Fender made in Mexico sounds better than that and those I am not a fan of. Am I alone?
***************Sig***************
Taylor 314 & GS Mini & Martin LX1
What do you propose folks should do about this?
В словах есть что-то неприличное.
That's pretty silly.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Squiers are OK made guitars, their Vintage Modified series are actually pretty good.

I own a VM Bass VI and its a great instrument for its price, problem is that proper strings are a bitch to find. What surprised me about it is how stable the vibrato on it is, it can take a lot of abuse and still wont go out of tune.

Anyway, where Squiers truly shine is the fact that they are great modding and customization platforms.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Last edited by Guitar0player at Oct 8, 2015,
VMs, the higher-end signatures and CVs are good shit

Standards are aight for the price

Affinities n stuff are waste

Wrong forum cuz
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Youre officially uber shit now.

Quote by StewieSwan
3d9310rd is far more upset than i 

Quote by Bladez22
I'm a moron tho apparently and everyone should listen to you oh wise pretentious one
As mentioned, there are a bunch of decent Squier models/series. In addition to the VM and CV series, check out the MIK ProTone (Ash bodies) and the MIJ SQ and JV models in the used market. These are now collectibles but some are still nicely-priced.
The weakest link here is the player.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Yes, my Squier Stagemaster Deluxe (Neck Through etc. ) is SUCH a POS.

Charles Darwin
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Squier basses are solid. Just don't like the neck which is why I have to spend shitloads on Warwicks

....Or your could spend a fraction of that on a Warmoth neck?
Quote by Zaphikh
What do you propose folks should do about this?

Great question, what do you propose?
Quote by Xiaoxi
The weakest link here is the player.

I disagree...for I consider myself for the most part above average player and my playing ALWAYS sounds like crap on a Squier. Never tried a bass though.
Quote by fingerguy
I disagree...for I consider myself for the most part above average player and my playing ALWAYS sounds like crap on a Squier. Never tried a bass though.

I think it depends on what Squier. Their higher end models are real nice.
Quote by Guitar0player
I think it depends on what Squier. Their higher end models are real nice.

Fair enough. But another turn off and this might be petty but there is something bothersome about a brand that sells their guitars in toy stores, wholesale clubs, and wherever else I seen them.
Quote by fingerguy
Fair enough. But another turn off and this might be petty but there is something bothersome about a brand that sells their guitars in toy stores, wholesale clubs, and wherever else I seen them.

You're right.

That is petty.
Charles Darwin
Quote by Guitar0player
....Or your could spend a fraction of that on a Warmoth neck?

They don't look to offer ovangkol as a neck option, the radius isn't flat enough, frets aren't brass and the neck profiles they offer aren't right, judging by the neck builder thing on the website.

Plus I've seen Warwicks being built first hand. Attention to detail is ridiculous.
Quote by Arby911
You're right.

That is petty.

Looked at your inventory to see if I was right as to why this bothered you so much. I now see why.
I sincerely don't give a flying fuck, the electric guitar I bought second hand along with a 10W Ibanez amp for 100€ is still the only one I've ever owned. I understand why people buy expensive guitars if they can easily afford them but mine works well enough for me. Plus I play my equally affordable acoustic more.

Maybe one day if I have spare money lying around I'll buy myself a Squier Standard Telecaster but there's other stuff I want more.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Quote by Deliriumbassist
They don't look to offer ovangkol as a neck option, the radius isn't flat enough, frets aren't brass and the neck profiles they offer aren't right, judging by the neck builder thing on the website.

Plus I've seen Warwicks being built first hand. Attention to detail is ridiculous.

I just Google them to see what you were talking about. Body wise those are sick looking. Curious what they sound and feel like.
Quote by fingerguy

Same goes for First Act but their Custom Shop stuff is ridiculous.

Quote by Deliriumbassist

Dayum...
Quote by fingerguy
Looked at your inventory to see if I was right as to why this bothered you so much. I now see why.

It doesn't bother me, it's just wrong. I keep a list of low-budget guitars up as troll bait. Thanks for playing.

If you can't make a guitar, any guitar, with a straight neck and passable electronics sound decent, it's not the guitar that's at fault. (Electrics of course, Acoustics are a different breed.)

If I took the electronics out of my USA Deluxe and put them in my Affinity, it wouldn't sound materially different. It's likely you couldn't tell the difference in blind testing.

Or are you one of those folks that believes in the electric guitar tonewood myth as well?
Charles Darwin
Quote by fingerguy

I've heard real 'above average' players. They can make anything sound good.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Hang on...you are telling me if I sound great on my Yamaha, Taylor, Martin, and like shit on a Squier it's me? Please!
Quote by fingerguy
I just Google them to see what you were talking about. Body wise those are sick looking. Curious what they sound and feel like.

http://s660.photobucket.com/user/deliriumbassist/library/?sort=3&page=1

Some pics of my custom Corvette.

They're known for their oil finish. Really makes the wood pop, and you still get to feel the grain. Awesome with poplar burl bodies, as they often have holes and pits. Just adds a bit more personality to the instrument looks wise. I visited the factory last year as a VIP and got to meet a load of top musicians- Jack Bruce, Robert Trujillo, Victor Wooten. Was a blast. Amazing to see them being built though. The neck is that strong that there's photos of the owner setting up two chairs, putting the neck between them and standing on the damn thing!
Quote by fingerguy
Hang on...you are telling me if I sound great on my Yamaha, Taylor, Martin, and like shit on a Squier it's me? Please!

Yes, assuming there isn't something materially wrong with the guitar in question. Although you probably sound similar on all of them. Retail bias is a very real thing.

You have Yamaha, Taylor and Martin electrics?
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
Yes, assuming there isn't something materially wrong with the guitar in question. Although you probably sound similar on all of them. Retail bias is a very real thing.

You have Yamaha, Taylor and Martin electrics?

No..but I played those and many others. I am 100% acoustic guy. I got a sweet deal on a Taylor 314ce and then wanted something easy to carry between locations so got a Martin LX1. I bought and sold electrics but in the end always spend 99.999% of the time on my acoustics for that is where the heart is. But found when testing electrics...Fender, Ibanez Jem, etc. all sounded great. Same riffs, chords, etc. on a squier on the same amp sounded like shit each and every single time!
Quote by fingerguy
No..but I played those and many others. I am 100% acoustic guy. I got a sweet deal on a Taylor 314ce and then wanted something easy to carry between locations so got a Martin LX1. I bought and sold electrics but in the end always spend 99.999% of the time on my acoustics for that is where the heart is. But found when testing electrics...Fender, Ibanez Jem, etc. all sounded great. Same riffs, chords, etc. on a squier on the same amp sounded like shit each and every single time!

As you already know, the electronics on a Squier aren't any better than they need to be, but they are still passable enough to do the job. This sounds like a clear case of Retail Bias to me. TBH I've never seen any real difference between a Mid-Range Squier Strat and a MIM Fender strat, and Squier makes a pretty wide range of instruments. Slip the decal off of a couple of them and I'm betting you couldn't tell the difference.

As noted, I am specifically limiting my remarks only to electric guitars.

And the beauty is we can have both. As you've already noted, I own several inexpensive guitars. I also own a few more expensive ones. I like playing them all. And I'm truly an ass-tastic acoustic player, so a good Taylor or Martin would be lost on me....
Charles Darwin
Quote by Ippon
I'm sure you can make an inexpensive Squier sound awesome through a new, decent amp if you're above average.

Quote by Ippon
I'm sure you can make an inexpensive Squier sound awesome through a new, decent amp if you're above average.

It's true. Played an entry-level Squier through a Fender Super Sonic, and it sounded gorgeous, despite me being a ten-thumbed, tone-deaf talentless noise polluter.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
I personally find Squiers to be very hit and miss. There's some excellent starter guitars among them and even some great "level 2" guitars (think Deluxe or VM), but they'll always need some work beforehand (hence why you're better off buying them used), usually at least a proper setup (but hey, what guitar doesn't?) and sometimes some upgrades (pickups and tuners come to mind). And yes, there are some seriously shitty Squiers out there too, but funny enough, I've noticed it's usually the Standards that are shitty. The Affinity series scores much better in my books (controversial opinion from what I'm reading here).
"Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit." - George Carlin
I've played two different Squire models through my Rockerverb and they sounded pretty good.

I think I've played four in total and none of them struck me as a bad guitar.
Free Ali
Free Lard
Quote by Fat Lard
Epiphone > Squier

Gibson > Fender

Schecter > all

lolnah
Quote by Diemon Dave
Powermetal scum opinions denied. I saw this and Ebay'd for $450 without even trying it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXW5ryaaYm4

I figured if it was good enough for him, it was good enough for me -- and boy -- was I right! Best mahogany neck-thru you can get at a steal. Never looked back, cuz nothing compares.

Keep hatin bro
Quote by fingerguy
I have seen more Squiers than I would like. I tried them, played them, and basically find them a poor persons guitar. They sound fine with distortion due to obvious reasons, but no matter what amp I connect them to I hate the sound. A Fender made in Mexico sounds better than that and those I am not a fan of. Am I alone?

I've never owned a Squier. I've heard they are good starter guitars, but I dislike Fender and probably would never buy one.

I've heard they make some good basses as well.
Last edited by TobusRex at Oct 8, 2015,
I think what annoys me most about Squiers, and it's not the guitar's fault, are the halfwitted owners who put their Squiers in Craigslist and list them as "Fenders". Guess if I ever sell my cheapo Epiphone LP Special II (I love it) I'll have to list it as a "Gibson".
Quote by Fat Lard
Powermetal scum opinions denied. I saw this and Ebay'd for $450 without even trying it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXW5ryaaYm4

I figured if it was good enough for him, it was good enough for me -- and boy -- was I right! Best mahogany neck-thru you can get at a steal. Never looked back, cuz nothing compares.

Keep hatin bro

I'm not hating. I can honestly say I've never played a bad Shechter - OK, so I've only played 2 - but they're not better than everything else.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Quote by slapsymcdougal
lolnah

If we're talking about basses, Schecter has some of the best mid-cost ranged bass guitars I've ever played. Occasionally the pickups used make the tone a little flat if you're grabbing a lower end model but overall they're pretty versatile and reliable. Not-bass guitars are completely different though.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Page 1 of 2