Well, after 3-4 months of trying my best to like this amp and failing, I have tonight realised what all the fuss is about with this amp.

I bought it around 4 months ago and I have really struggled to enjoy this thing, its just always sounded very fizzy and harsh to me on either channel with every EQ combination known to man.

What was I doing wrong? Well after reading about the amp on here and how its best not to dial too much gain in, I have been using the amp on the rhythm channel with the crunch button in but with the pre gain set to about 2, post gain anywhere upto 4 if practising in my band. I figured the less gain would cut the mix better and sound less harsh. And I have never been satisfied with the sound.

Tonight I whacked the pre gain up to 10 (max) and was blown away. The previously weak bass appeared from nowhere, the fizz and harshness evaporated, the drop d power chords sounded fat and creamy and crushing all in one go, and the notes high up the fretboard had the amazing compression, sustain and pick attack I have been after for 3 years!! (especially with the neck pickup).

Im so pleased about this I just wanted to share the news with someone who gives a f*ck.

6506 112 Settings: Resonance 7, Presence 7, Bass 5.5, Mid, 6, Treb 4.5
Bad Monkey: Level 8, Gain 0, Bass 6, Tone 5.
Guitar: Ibanez 655 Prestige, Tone Zone in Bridge, Air Norton in Neck.

Thank you for listening.

-lodgi
Im confused, are you using the lead (red) channel with the gain maxed out? You really shouldnt have to, especially with a tubescreamer out front. Perhaps you need new preamp tubes in there. Also, is it closed back? Now that I have a few 412 cabs, I cant stand combos.

I own a Bugera 6262 which is a 6505+ knockoff, however I play the 6505+ every time i go to guitar center and the settings always work interchangably well. Heres what I find works:

Gain (also known as PRE on these amps): anywhere from 2/10 to 5/10 (depends on the guitar and output of the pickups); with a tubescreamer, you should be getting really good saturation at just 3.5/10 on the PRE (seriously!)
Bass: 7-8 (my bugera doesnt have a resonance knob, so i gotta run the bass high to get that thump)
Mids: the bugera and the 6505+ have one of the most amazing midranges I have ever heard. The knob has a pretty big sweep. Usually, mids sound bad when you crank them too much on other amps, but on these amps, the mid knob just seems to make it sound better, thicker, chunkier the higher you go. THAT BEING SAID- if you are recording, I find you have to keep the mids really low, like 2/10; otherwise the guitar cuts way too much and kind of sounds weak because of the frequency imbalance. Its an interesting thing.
Highs: 6-7. If you go too low, you wont really have any bite or definition
Presence: 5. Maybe 4.5 even. Presence is great but it tends to yield that fizz youre talking about. You gotta find the right balance between treble and presence.
Resonance: i dont have a resonance on my Bugera; but again, in the shop, 5-6 seems to work just fine. You dont want too much bass.

Tl;dr- you could use all those settings, but it is literally true how people say you can leave all the knobs at 12oclock and the peavey sounds great.

Tl;dr 2- im glad you found a tone that you like!
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

I always liked using the lead channel with the gain on 2 and a tubescreamer out in front. Super tight and chunky.

There's also the 666 method. Just turn every knob to 6 and it sounds super heavy hahaha.

But this just goes to show you, no matter how much you read about how to dial in an amp online, you still have to find the best sound for YOU. Glad you're liking t. The 5150/6505 is a great amp and I still miss mine.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I don't see how that can sound good. I mean if it sounds good to you then great, but from my experience the gain shouldn't be above 3 AT MOST if you are using a tube screamer or similar, regardless of which channel. The actual settings for the amp and pedal seem fairly normal, but I fail to see how cranking the gain 5 times higher than it needs to be is going to give you a tone that is anything other than fizzy and harsh.
Guys he's using the Green Rhythm Channel with the Crunch Button engaged, not the Lead Channel.

You need to crank up some gain in that config. I typically go gain around 2:30 - 3 o'clock with a boost.

TS - most folks forget that the Green Channel even exists on these amps. Definitely play around with both channels and the crunch button. You can coax a few different sounds out of these, not just the brutal metal. You can set the amp up to get 2 good sounds at a time with different tubes in it depending on what you want.
Guitars:
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Jackson Kelly KE3 - MIJ (Distortion/Jazz)
Jackson DKMGT Dinky (EMG 81/85)
ESP E-II Eclipse Custom (JB/'59)
ESP LTD EC-1001FR (EMG 81/60)
Fender MIM Strat

Amps:
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster 212
Laney IronHeart IRT-Studio
Peavey Vypyr 30
Peavey ReValver Amp Sims
TOOOO many T.C. Electronic Pedals. . .
^^Indeed, the green channel can do everything from medium crunch all the way up to thrash and even death metal. On low gain settings, it's a much lighter crunch and definitely doesn't have the oomph you get when you increase the gain (but it sounds rather nice for heavier blues/lighter/classic rock). The catch 22 is that if you want cleans you can't really set your gain above 3 on that channel, so you have to decide how you want to use that channel.

It is not like the lead channel in that there is already a boatload of gain with the gain set at "1", lol. I can go all the way up to "8" on the green channel gain, WITH a boost on, and it's still not too much gain. "10" would be pushing it for me though -- clarity starts to go away after "8" on the dial. It's just nice and saturated, yet dynamic. If you dig in, it'll sound brutal, but if you back off a bit it's a nice hard-rock or thrash tone.

But I agree that if he's using the lead channel, then "10" is ludicrous, or there's a problem in the amp somewhere. Mine never goes above 4 when boosted, never above 6 when unboosted. And that's for straight up modern black metal tone.
Last edited by KailM at Oct 9, 2015,
Quote by KailM
^^Indeed, the green channel can do everything from medium crunch all the way up to thrash and even death metal. On low gain settings, it's a much lighter crunch and definitely doesn't have the oomph you get when you increase the gain (but it sounds rather nice for heavier blues/lighter/classic rock). The catch 22 is that if you want cleans you can't really set your gain above 3 on that channel, so you have to decide how you want to use that channel.

It is not like the lead channel in that there is already a boatload of gain with the gain set at "1", lol. I can go all the way up to "8" on the green channel gain, WITH a boost on, and it's still not too much gain. "10" would be pushing it for me though -- clarity starts to go away after "8" on the dial. It's just nice and saturated, yet dynamic. If you dig in, it'll sound brutal, but if you back off a bit it's a nice hard-rock or thrash tone.

But I agree that if he's using the lead channel, then "10" is ludicrous, or there's a problem in the amp somewhere. Mine never goes above 4 when boosted, never above 6 when unboosted. And that's for straight up modern black metal tone.

Yes it's the green channel with crunch pressed I was taking about, I should have made that clear. I have found I most enjoy the lead channel below 3 on the gain dial using my neck pick up (di marzio air Norton). Not quite sure I enjoy boosting this configuration.
I am yet to try out this new found tone with my band. I hope the tone still cuts through.
I love these responses. "Oh you like the way your amp sounds with settings I don't like? Your amp must be broken." Brilliant.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by ibanezguitars44
I love these responses. "Oh you like the way your amp sounds with settings I don't like? Your amp must be broken." Brilliant.

I didn't see a single post that wasn't helpful or at least well-intended -- what's your problem? Fact is, the amp has way too much gain on the lead channel if your turn it up all the way. There's plenty of gain on "5" for the most extreme genres of metal -- and then it just gets mushy from there. There's no way that would sound good to anybody. But it turns out he wasn't doing that so it's all good.

The rhythm channel (w/ crunch engaged) can run with the gain nearly maxed and still sound clear and articulate, fwiw.
Last edited by KailM at Oct 11, 2015,
Yeah the crunch channel on the 6505+ is awesome. I honestly preferred using that for my leads with a boost when I had mine, it was much more clear and "sang" better to me.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.