I've gotten an idea to use my '98 Epiphone Les Paul Jr. as a canvas. It's been dented quite a few times and scratched, and it just naturally looks like crap, hence why I bought it 9 years ago for three dollars (minus any working electronics, except the pickup), so I've decided to take the paint and finish off and use it as a canvas just for fun, and because a friend wants to include it in a local gallery for a month.

The problem I've encountered, though, is that under the black paint I've discovered a light covering over the paint which I'm assuming is a sealant for the wood. I've accidentally cut through this slightly in some parts where it was thin like around the beveled edges and in two small parts just below the neck joint. The body is made of plywood if that assists with anything.

My questions:

Do I get rid of this, will it have any effect on what I'm doing, what about the parts I cut through? If I remove this, do I put anything on the wood? I've seen some use lighter fluid I'm assuming to dissolve any remaining sawdust.

Is there anything else you suggest for me to do to prepare the body?
Last edited by Distophase at Oct 8, 2015,
If you just intend to paint it with a solid colour all you really need to do is key the surface (by sanding) and paint over it. You might want to fill the dings too.

This should help. Courtesy of the Central Hub, which is stickied at the top of the forum.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726
Last edited by von Layzonfon at Oct 8, 2015,
Quote by von Layzonfon
If you just intend to paint it with a solid colour all you really need to do is key the surface (by sanding) and paint over it. You might want to fill the dings too.

This should help. Courtesy of the Central Hub, which is stickied at the top of the forum.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=542726

It doesn't actually help with the question I have, though. Should I be down to the bare wood or should I leave the coating I discovered? As well, the refinishing section consists of a broken link and a Stewmac page that I can't find anything on.
Sorry, I'll try again.

If you're repainting with a solid colour you don't need to be down to the bare wood. Sand, prime, paint. If you're planning to "use it as a canvas" I'm guessing you'll want to give it a light base coat to work on but it sounds more like you're creating a work of art than refinishing a guitar, so use your artistic licence. After all, it's "just for fun."
I painted a strat! http://i.imgur.com/5br6h3K.jpg

This was actually after a refinish, I painted it green with rustoleum (kit guitar) and did a comedically bad job. Sanded the shit out of it, and eventually got to the sand sealer left by the manufactuer. I ended up just getting it smooth enough to paint on, ignoring the sand sealer and applying white krylon which turned out very smooth, then I use acrylic paint to screw around until it looked alright.
it'll need to be sealed before you put any paint down. if you're sanding through to bare wood, you've removed all the sealer. Without that, you'll have an uneven finish as the paint lays into all the pores and crevasses of the wood.