Hello, i am recording some cover songs over backing tracks. i know that is good to double your tracks to sound fuller, richer... do you double also the backing track or just your playing?
Tracking means recording, so you wouldn't be "double tracking" anything else than what you play.

Also double tracking works because of the difference between two takes.
If you duplicate the same thing then you simply get a louder signal.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
I double track rhythm guitar parts but I wouldn't double track a lead guitar part.
I will record a riff pan it hard left, then record the same riff and pan it hard right.
heres an example of something I did with double tracked guitars.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M3rcNX8FF0
the double tracking thickens up the guitar sound, its a great technique for metal, but I've also used it in other genres such as blues, heres a blues rock track with double tracking https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HT3OfkocpoA
Quote by lambsshines
yeah now many of software are there.. which play double tracks in the playback
---------------------------------------------------------
if any one want to know about legal info visit here...
MAY 2011 VISA BULLETIN PREDICTIONS

I'm sorry but I can't understand a single word of that
I think he means rather than play the part over again you can achieve this effect in your DAW
There are a couple of ways to do this...
1) Add a very short delay to the track which makes it sound thicker.
2) Copy and paste the track to another empty track then "slide" it along a few milliseconds to suit.
Play back the audio and it will sound double tracked.
I agree with xevious. In my experience delaying a cloned track by a few milliseconds doesn't accomplish what a real double track does. It ends up sounding like nothing more than a very short delay. I have tried this on different things. While I do find it somewhat useful on rhythm guitar tracks (spilt left and right) it doesn't work well on vocals. If the purpose of the double track is to "fatten" the sound you really need to play or sing the part twice to get the fullness caused by the slight differences in the performance.
Yes I am guitarded also, nice to meet you.
I totally agree that it is much better to sing or play the part twice.

I was simply trying to translate lambsshines comment...
Quote by lambsshines
yeah now many of software are there.. which play double tracks in the playback
Quote by mondobong
I totally agree that it is much better to sing or play the part twice.

I was simply trying to translate lambsshines comment...

I think he may be a bot.