I purchased an Ibanez Prestige RG3727FZ a few days back.
I noticed that the notes on higher frets were being muted..so i went through the manual provided with the guitar for truss rod adjustment.
As instructed in the manual, i pressed the first and the nearest fret to the neck joint, and checked the gap between the fret and the string of the 8th fret.
The string was touching the fret ie (no gap), which i think indicated the neck has a back bow.
Now from my knowledge and from the youtube videos i saw for neck adjustment , the neck is supposed to be loosened (anti clock wise).
But the problem is that the manual is confusing me as i think it instructs to do just the opposite. This is what the manual says :
After pressing the 1st and the nearest fret to the neck joint, check the distance between the fret and the string of 8th fret.
>If the gap is less than 0.3mm (which is my case i think),then it says to turn the truss rod clockwise, to make the neck more convex.
>If the gap is more than 0.5mm, then it says to turn it counter clockwise.

So what do u think guys?
Which direction should the truss rod be turned?
Think about it logically.

Turn the truss rod one way (it doesn't matter which) and see what happens to the neck relief. From that, you can deduct what the truss rod will do if you turn it the other way.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Oct 9, 2015,
Be extremely careful when doing this as if you adjust it to much, you will snap the neck of your guitar. Trust me I have done it before.
Rock is dying, we need to save it...
When you change the action I guess you would say, make minor adjustments with the tightening nut. Watch the action closely as you do this and make sure to physically bend the neck with your leg, almost like your breaking a stick on your leg (without slamming the guitar on your leg and your not actually trying to break the neck.

PS: Always remember righty tighty lefty loosy. thats what I use at least.
Rock is dying, we need to save it...
Last edited by Nmkelley at Oct 9, 2015,
Nmkelley are you an idiot?

On topic, I think you need to tighten the truss rod. I may be wrong so do what the first guy said just in case. Only turn it a tiny bit each time and give it a while to settle so you can actually see the changes.
Quote by Nmkelley at #33629865
Be extremely careful when doing this as if you adjust it to much, you will snap the neck of your guitar. Trust me I have done it before.

Quote by Nmkelley at #33629870
When you change the action I guess you would say, make minor adjustments with the tightening nut. Watch the action closely as you do this and make sure to physically bend the neck with your leg, almost like your breaking a stick on your leg (without slamming the guitar on your leg and your not actually trying to break the neck.

PS: Always remember righty tighty lefty loosy. thats what I use at least.

You're a moron on both accounts.

Unless you're a complete bellend, you're never going to snap a guitar neck by tightening a truss rod too much. People who spread that BS are typically people who work at guitar stores who want to scare you into paying them to do it for you at a fee. In reality, there's nothing to worry about.

Remember that relaxing the truss rod increases relief and tightening the rod reduces it.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Wondering who is serious in this thread...

Remember to loosen the strings if you are going to adjust the action after you get the truss rod sorted. You don't want to put unnecessary wear on the knife edges, even though the trem on that guitar will take it better than an Edge III would.
Good grief, this poor guy just needs to loosen (COUNTER CLOCKWISE) his truss rod to get the problem fixed.

Sid....you were on the right track. If you had no space between the string and the 8th fret while pressing on the 1st and the fret where it meets the body...then you need to loosen the truss - which means counter clockwise.

Turn it about 1/8 of a turn each time and check it.

Once you get the string where it has a gap...and the high frets ring out, you can adjust he action on the bridge if needed.

Don't take advice from someone who snapped a damn neck. You gotta turn that thing an unreal amount to do that...
Righty tighty Lefty loosey. Remember that the truss rod is there to provid strength against the strings, so a back bow means you're applying excessive strength and have to loosen your truss rod, which implies turning to the left.
If you are in doubt, just check the screws on your guitar. They're screwed to the right and unscrewed with a left turn. You need to "unscrew" your rod. Do it 1/4 of a turn at a time and check results.
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
You're a moron on both accounts.

Unless you're a complete bellend, you're never going to snap a guitar neck by tightening a truss rod too much. People who spread that BS are typically people who work at guitar stores who want to scare you into paying them to do it for you at a fee. In reality, there's nothing to worry about.

Remember that relaxing the truss rod increases relief and tightening the rod reduces it.

+1 Nmkelley must have been dropped on his head as an infant.

Nmkelley - if you don't know something keep your mouth shut.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Guys i just found out that it was a misprint in the manual. I downloaded the manual from ibanez website and the A and B direction diagram in the downloaded manual was correct as it should be.
So weird Ibanez could make such a mistake about such a crucial thing where people can actually damage their guitar.
This is the link for the manual. Truss Rod adjustment is on page 40.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/manual/guitars/eg2014_prestige.pdf
Hopefully this thread will help others from misguidance.