I am unsure how to pump my sound to the PA. I've tried both micing amp and running directly out. Sound seems to be much stronger going direct.

So my question is, "do I need to mic as well"?

We have a decent pa and are playing to crowds of 100 people or less. A variety of small bars and many private parties mostly.

Thanks.
What amp do you have? You might not need to go through the PA at all.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Micing is generally considered better in terms of natural amp-through-cabinet sound plus it provides you with your own monitor. Direct gives you less stage volume, which is important on small stages so your amp isn't overwhelming the audience members directly in front of you. Ideally you want as little volume leaving the stage as possible; ideally all sound going to the audience should be running through the PA unless it is a very small venue to the point of not needing to mic drums or run amps through the PA.

Also consider that you may not be able to hear your amp if you direct out, since on some amps (in my experience especially solid state combos) the direct out cancels out the main speakers so on stage monitors for the band are probably necessary. If it doesn't cut the main speakers, then you still get that speaker potentially running into the crowd on a small stage.

If stage monitors are no problem and the direct out sound sounds good to you and your band mates, then there is no problem running direct out instead of micing. Keep in mind that the person running sound also has some say, and ultimately the sound person generally gets a large part of the say, so having a preferred amp mic might be a good idea if they absolutely insist on micing your amp.

Anyway, I don't see a reason not to have an SM57 or something since they are cheap and take up relatively little space in your bag. Though any decent venue should have mics hopefully, but you never know.

At the end of the day, there really is not "right" or "wrong" answer in terms of how you do it. As far as doing both, there is no reason why you can't, unless, as mentioned, the direct out cancels out the power amp and speakers the way some combos do. Though again, that depends on the individual amp.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by gravitycure
I am unsure how to pump my sound to the PA. I've tried both micing amp and running directly out. Sound seems to be much stronger going direct.

So my question is, "do I need to mic as well"?

Nope. In fact, you've probably already answered your own question.
If you can hear yourself (via monitors, IEMs, whatever), there's no reason to use the amp itself as an on-stage monitor, and if you're close-miking the speaker, you're not really engaging the cabinet in the process. All you'd be doing is picking up some characteristics of a *piece* of the speaker.

The old "line of amps across the back, interrupted by a drummer" setup for bands is pretty archaic, a throwback to the '60's. A surprising number of professionals prefer to have amps that are miked either off stage altogether (nothing like having a mindless bass player kick your mike while boinging around and have you completely out of the mix for an entire song or until you discover the problem) or to run to a preamp/modeler-type system on the side of the stage being monitored by a band sound guy. Some of the latter still have foot pedals on stage, but the actual changes are being handled by whomever is actually at the modeler rack.