okay
11 58%
it's just dancing, man up
8 42%
oh hey, you again
8 42%
Voters: 19.
Because it is really awkward.

Tonight, there is a thing going on at my Church building called the Climbing Higher Prom. It is a prom for the mentally challenged in my area, sponsored by one of the houses for those individuals. Essentially what happens is, for 2 hours, the specially gifted all go nuts because the entire playlist is stuff like the Cha-Cha Slide or YMCA, and all the normal adults smile because they are so special. I'm pessimist, so I don't view it much the same way.

I'm going because there are a few lasses (who are not mentally handicapped) helping out that I'd like to see. They also need help cleaning up... But if I get asked to dance by one of the mentally challenged people, I will not accept. It makes me very uncomfortable.

We host this thing every year, and last year I stayed in the sound booth 98% of the time. I only went out of the booth to get food and talk to one of those lasses. She suggested I dance with my mother who was also present, and eventually I did. But the song we had danced do was one of those lovey-dovey romantic songs, and I just did not like it. I'm with my mom, yo. Play something that does not have a sensual lyric innit.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 9, 2015,
Trying to pick up girls at mentally handicapped prom, that's some new low OP.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
All I can think of when reading this is Kyle Kinane's blowjob story.
they're coming to take me away
ha-haaa
You realize that not all proms/dances are for mentally challenged people, right?

Or are they...
Dude, at events like this, you dance when asked unless you absolutely cannot even stand.

No two ways about it. Go, and dance when you're asked(not dancing will make the girl you intend to kidnap or whatever think you're a shitcunt), or don't go at all.
Quote by Diemon Dave
Don't go ninjerin nobody don't need ninjerin'
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Dude, at events like this, you dance when asked unless you absolutely cannot even stand.

No two ways about it. Go, and dance when you're asked(not dancing will make the girl you intend to kidnap or whatever think you're a shitcunt), or don't go at all.

This.

Get over yourself and leave the ego bullshit at home.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by Will Lane
She suggested I dance with my mother who was also present, and eventually I did.

Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
ugh its just a dance you don't have to marry them and you'll make them happy. obviously you do not have to do things that make you uncomfortable, but given the situation I think any decent person would dance for a bit.
cat
In the past (like really past, not like modern past), sometimes these sorts of social events were it. There was quite literally nothing else to do besides the sheep. If you didn't go, you'd be a big V until you either got set up by your folks or bought a piece. Less so in urban areas, but until the average family had more than one car, teens and young adults had squat to do to get their swag on. Any trips to town where you might have a chance to meet someone who wasn't a neighbor or the offspring of a parent's business contact was usually with the parents; and often after half a day of working on the farm and smelling like it.

The whole idea is entrenched in archaic and ridiculous tradition. Dances and formals, galas, etc are pointless in modern times. To all you young folks out there; skip it. Get together with your friends and have an anti-dance. The music will be better, you won't have to deal with the same idiots you have to deal with day in and day out during the school year that you don't like anyway, and you can do stuff you can't do on school grounds. Don't "suffer through" things you hate, just because "this girl....". If she's worth going for, she'll see through the bullshit and want to come to your anti-dance anyway.

my $0.02 on the topic. YMMV
If you refuse to dance with one of the mentally handicapped girls at their request, prepare to lose points from the girls who interest you if they witness it.

But I figure that since last year, you were talking to a girl and she suggested you go dance with your mother, it's not like much will change.

BOOM BAM BLAOW

EDIT: I just read that this is a church event. You're going to a prom where you don't want to dance with most of the women. You say you're going because there are women there who interest you, but you seem to want them to think you're shitty by refusing to dance with people because they're handicapped. Also, to reiterate, it's a church event. What I got from this is that you're keen on wasting your time.
Free Ali
Last edited by chrismendiola at Oct 10, 2015,
*sighs*

Quote by WCPhils

i think i might be getting homicidal
Last edited by Dregen at Oct 10, 2015,
The only reason I don't go to prom is because I'm not a conformist.
And it also cost around 100$ these days...
Not gonna read all of that, but...

I don't like proms because they expose me to all the Americanized trinkets of 'success' like suits, mediocre classical music, overly-flashy dresses and wine served as a 'successful man's drink', all of this for one of the most meaningless achievements of my life.

I don't like to dance because I suck at it. I like to watch lots of forms of dancing but only the shittiest ones occur at proms so there's no fun there either.

Thankfully the afterparty is always there so that you can lose the monkey suit, hold a bottle of wine with the inebriated dignity it deserves and party hard until the break of dawn (and further). Also drunk-dancing with allthe qties from your class. But shit like that happens several times every highschool year anyway so I don't know why I had to sit through all the bullshit just to do it one more time.

Gozd in gora poj,
silen ženimo hrup,
uboga gmajna, le vpup, le vkup,
le vkup, le vkup z menoj,
staro pravdo v mrak tulimo,
da se pretulimo skozi to zimo
Dude, dance. There are certain standards upheld at these things one of which being dance with someone if you're asked to, and even if you suck, the 'lasses' you wish to talk top might find it sweet that you're doing such a thing, probably not but it's worth a shot.
Quote by JamSessionFreak
Not gonna read all of that, but...

I don't like proms because they expose me to all the Americanized trinkets of 'success' like suits, mediocre classical music, overly-flashy dresses and wine served as a 'successful man's drink', all of this for one of the most meaningless achievements of my life.

I don't like to dance because I suck at it. I like to watch lots of forms of dancing but only the shittiest ones occur at proms so there's no fun there either.

Thankfully the afterparty is always there so that you can lose the monkey suit, hold a bottle of wine with the inebriated dignity it deserves and party hard until the break of dawn (and further). Also drunk-dancing with allthe qties from your class. But shit like that happens several times every highschool year anyway so I don't know why I had to sit through all the bullshit just to do it one more time.

p much this too.

I never went to my formal/prom because I had a gig during which I was getting paid, and I'd been around most of those people drunk anyway and knew most of them were teetotal, or boring or assholes when drunk, and no chance of getting laid either so money beat shit dancing and a potential boring night.
Quote by guyw/aguitar01

Lol, get a load of this guy.
Free Ali
Quote by guyw/aguitar01 at #33630946

yea man, keep rocking
Quote by chrismendiola
If you refuse to dance with one of the mentally handicapped girls at their request, prepare to lose points from the girls who interest you if they witness it.

But I figure that since last year, you were talking to a girl and she suggested you go dance with your mother, it's not like much will change.

BOOM BAM BLAOW

EDIT: I just read that this is a church event. You're going to a prom where you don't want to dance with most of the women. You say you're going because there are women there who interest you, but you seem to want them to think you're shitty by refusing to dance with people because they're handicapped. Also, to reiterate, it's a church event. What I got from this is that you're keen on wasting your time.
I realized after about 15 minutes that you chaps were right, I probably just should not have went at all.

Also let me point out that I really do not like dancing at all, no matter who with. But especially I do not want to be dancing with someone that I know very little about, am not interested in, platonic, while the song When a Man Loves a Woman by Michael Bolton plays, no matter if they are mentally handicapped or not.
Quote by guyw/aguitar01
It's a lot more in my area at least I think.
Last edited by Will Lane at Oct 10, 2015,
Quote by Will Lane

I'm going because there are a few lasses (who are not mentally handicapped) helping out that I'd like to see.

They say she's retarded, but those titties ain't retarded.
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Oct 10, 2015,
If a mentally disabled girl gets the courage to ask you to dance and you say no, than youre a complete asshole. (also, did you not stop to think how attractive thatll make you look to the girls youre trying to woo?)
________________________________ ________________________________
______________________________ ______________________________
dude this isn't about dancing at all. it is about your hang ups. ok so a ******ed girl asked you to dance at a dance for ******ed people. ummm... you were there right? now personally i think you blew a great opportunity to show what a sensitive wonderful guy you are to the girls you were interested it.
Can mentally challenged girls consent? That's really the only question that needs answering here
Check out my band Disturbed
IIRC even adult-aged mentally handicapped ladies are off limits to non-handicapped men. Could be wrong on that, but I do believe there's some sort of "taking advantage" thing happening there... might just be taboo, and not unlawful though.