I have had this beast for a bit but recently I've been trying to dial in a chunkier fatter tone with slightly more low end. The other guitarist uses a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and I can't seem to match his low end. The smooth mode seems to give more high end and slightly less low end than the rough no matter where I set the Hi-Balance knob. Any advice to get that deep bottom end while still retaining high end and clarity?

Knob levels would be good, usually I keep the bass at near full, the mid at half way and the treble at just past halfway with the presence at about 3:00

Also the depth boost is always on, just so you know

Oh also, I'd love to use crunch 2 (channel 3) for rhythm and lead (channel 4) for leads but channel 4 seems to have more of the low end I want so what do I do? I want to be able to switch to the lead channel with higher volume for the solos/lead
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Oct 9, 2015,
i dunno how similar the savage is to the savage se (i've only tried the savage se) but on the savage se the smooth mode has a lot less treble than rough. it sort of sounds like you have a tubescreamer going through it (except it's quieter, at least at lower volumes, which is a bit annoying).

if it's anything like the savage se you should be able to just turn up the bass or use the depth boost- that shouldn't really affect how much treble you're getting. though i agree with colin in your other pickup thread, turn your bass down a lot, and maybe turn the depth boost off too, especially if you're not getting enough clarity.

again, if anything like the savage se, crunch 2 is a fair bit more vintage-sounding... that's just the nature of the beast i think. i think they tried to make it more versatile by giving it a wider gain range than, say, the powerball on the two heavier channels, but then the problem is if there's a specific sound you want (especially higher gain, more modern) you can only really get it on the lead channel.

have you tried using the second master volume for your leads? that'd be the thing unless you need different gain levels or eq settings for rhythm and lead.

have you tried using a boost pedal or an eq pedal?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What speakers are you using? Are you using a 412 cab? Whats your friend using? Have you tried plugging into the same cab to see if thats where hes getting his lows from?

Are you using a tube screamer? That will take some of your lows away. How much gain are you using? Maybe try setting all your knobs to 12oclock and start over chasing your sound. Maybe use less mids- i hear the savage is more organic sounding and has more mids than say the PB or FB. Try putting mids to 9oclock; the savage might be cutting better than the mesa, and the low end cant catch up to the midrange. Watch your presence too.
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Quote by Knight Elijah
Any advice to get that deep bottom end while still retaining high end and clarity?
I keep the bass at near full, the mid at half way and the treble at just past halfway with the presence at about 3:00

Also the depth boost is always on, just so you know

First we need to know what you're using for speaker cabinet (and which speakers?).
It's likely that your cabinet can't produce the bass you're looking for. Most guitar cabinets actually start dropping off at around 110Hz, and a low E in a standard six string is below that at 82Hz. If you're using a 7-string with a low B, which is down around 62Hz, it's unlikely you'll hear anything like a fundamental.

Second, by cranking the bass on full AND putting on the Depth Boost, you're likely wasting power trying to produce notes that your speaker system can't get to.

Third, you may not have enough power to produce the bottom end you want at the volume you're hoping for.

Leave the Depth Boost OFF.
Dial the Bass back to about 12.
Grab someone's Boss GE7 or MXR-100 and boost the frequencies around 120Hz a bit. Do NOT boost frequencies below that (in fact, you may want to drop them).

Make sure your bass player has an adequate system and let HIM handle the lows.

And if you still want to live in that space down where he should be doing HIS job, take a look at the Vector SL Active Guitar subwoofer from ISP Technologies. http://www.isptechnologies.com/portfolio/vector-sl-active-guitar-subwoofer/

As I mentioned, it takes *powah* to reproduce low end and your amp doesn't have it. The Vector SL has a 600W power amp and a 15" subwoofer in a ported cabinet. That's what it takes.
I'm not using anything in front that would change the tone, only effects like wah and a noise gate.
Answer the question that everybody is asking - what speakers?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I meant to ask about speakers and cabinet but i forgot

also a wah (if it's half-assed bypass) and a noise gate can change the tone a bit.

watterboy: if the regular savage is anything like the savage se it's still pretty scooped in rough mode.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
By the way- are you sure you even want his low end that he gets from his mesa? Is it even usable low end? Ive read a lot of people saying the recs are a little loose in the lows, especially if they have that 'sag' switch engaged. Engl tends to make their amps tight as shit. Personally, ive never been able to purposely make my Powerball "boom"; the lows are always well refined. They still hit you in the chest, but they are never obnoxious rumbling or booming. For metal, that amp characteristic makes for a great live or studio guitar mix; the guitars have punch but they dont fudge with the bass or kick or whatever else you have important going on down there
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69

Sorry guys for not answering the question about speakers, I've been busy on tour. I'm using an ENGL Standard Slant cab with Celestion V60's.

I played the other night at a pretty huge venue, and I dialed the treble and prescence back slightly and the bass back a little. I don't remever if I used rough or smooth but if it was smooth, the Hi-Balance was on the lower side. Whatever I did, my tones were brutal, however this is the first time I actually had monitors that worked the way they were supposed to. The sound guy for the headliners actually knows what he's doing for once. Anyway, so I don't know if the tone I was hearing was just because I could properly hear my amp this time.

FYI my bandmates seem to think the Mesa was too boomy that the lows were in an unfavorably low range. I don't know if that's the amp or if he scoops his mids. I like that sound to an extent but I'm kinda liking how tight my ENGL is now
Last edited by Knight Elijah at Oct 11, 2015,
yeah i mean if you're trying to make the engl sound like a recto i'm not sure that's the best idea. i never really got that close when i tried it. actually different speakers might be the thing for that (if you actually do decide what you want). the eminence swamp thang/texas heat combo is very dark and chunky-sounding, for example.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?