Received my Alumitone Deathbucker in the mail today, figured I'd install it in a guitar temporarily till I get more parts for the guitar it will be permanently installed in.

The guitar it's currently installed in is a 2 humbucker, 1v1t guitar with a 3 way toggle.

I followed this diagram when wiring it up: (Invalid img)

For some reason, when the pickup selector is on the bridge pickup (the lace), I'm getting what sounds like 60 cycle hum, whereas, when it's on the neck pickup (stock humbucker), it sounds perfectly fine.

To avoid confusion, I soldered the orange wire to the lug on the switch, the green and the black/white wires to ground, and left the solid white unconnected

I wired 5 100k resistors in series across the outer lugs on the volume pot to reduce them from 500k to 250k. The resistors are not shorting anything.

What could the reason for the humming be? Alumitones are supposed to be absolutely silent (and the two I installed in a friend's strat were)
I always wanted to try the deathbucker, does the buzzing happen when you touch the strings by any chance? if so something may have came undone as by the looks of things you're doing everything else right.
Quote by Tallwood13
I always wanted to try the deathbucker, does the buzzing happen when you touch the strings by any chance? if so something may have came undone as by the looks of things you're doing everything else right.

I still haven't put the control cavity cover back on, and everything is hooked up. The buzzing is always present, but slightly less so when touching the strings
Sounds like ground issue to me, make sure ground wire is connected to ground and isn't touching anything else, and the other wires are taped up (I assume you are not going to coil-split the humbucker)
check to see if the orange wire is touching anything other than the correct lug at the switch. It could be that the wire is shorted to ground at the switch. Cut any connection that isn't to the lug.

If the problem persists, then you would have to check if the green and striped wires are properly soldered together to ground.

If the problem persists afterward, it might be that the green wire has a break at some point.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
I looked at all the wiring, couldn't find an issue, so I figured I'd just wire the pickup straight to the jack. When I did so, the buzzing was no different. wtf? Is this a problem with the pickup? Should I request an exchange?
It may be EMI (electro magnetic interference). When you do touch the strings and the hum goes down that means the bridge is not grounded properly as it should never go up or down for hum reduction.

with your friends guitar did you play it at their house with different cables and an amp? if so two solutions I find.

#1 - is there any shielding in the guitar , i forget if the deathbucker is active or not but this is something every guitar should have with passive humbuckers and stacked single coils.

if not - copper shielding and solder a ground wire to the guitars harness I highly recommend this is a whopping 3 whole dollars on ebay. I had to get a 2nd mortgage on my mansion to afford it

ok idea 2
assuming the cable is quality like I'm a fan of gold tipped cables and amp are good of course

#2 - it could be the walls and all where you are playing in. This is a common problem and an easy solution. I wired up a guys guitar and copper shielded it and it still hummed. The solution, we went to my friends house and his amp is plugged into an EMI / RFI reducing powerbar. We plugged the guitar in and it was dead quiet in regards to hum.
Last edited by Tallwood13 at Oct 13, 2015,
Quote by Tallwood13
It may be EMI (electro magnetic interference). When you do touch the strings and the hum goes down that means the bridge is not grounded properly as it should never go up or down for hum reduction.

Apart from a new switch, the wiring was never messed with in this guitar, I purchased it new. I've noticed hum being reduced when touching the strings on EVERY guitar I have ever played...

Quote by Tallwood13
with your friends guitar did you play it at their house with different cables and an amp? if so two solutions I find.

Played the guitar at my house, but with a different amp and cable (I have since gotten a better amp and cable)

Quote by Tallwood13
#1 - is there any shielding in the guitar , i forget if the deathbucker is active or not but this is something every guitar should have with passive humbuckers and stacked single coils.

The deathbucker is passive, and the guitar is fully shielded with that black conductive paint (I know, it's not the best shielding out there, but it's still better than nothing)

Although, not to mention, I do have a guitar with very high output pickups, with several things going on in the wiring (push pulls to individually coil tap each pickup, and a DPDT that toggles between connecting the 3rd lug on the volume pot to ground, and through a 500k resistor first (essentially making it a treble control). The entire guitar is 100% un-shielded (haven't gotten around to doing it yet), but is still much more quiet than the LTD with the deathbucker in it

Quote by Tallwood13
ok idea 2
assuming the cable is quality like I'm a fan of gold tipped cables and amp are good of course

Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (pre 2003, heat issues fixed with cooling fans that do NOT run off the amp's power, but instead, off a 12v wall wart

Guitar is plugged straight into the amp with a 25ft Live Wire Advantage (yeah, a bit long, but it's a hell of a lot better than using the s*** 10ft I've had laying around, its got a break in the ground)

Quote by Tallwood13
#2 - it could be the walls and all where you are playing in. This is a common problem and an easy solution. I wired up a guys guitar and copper shielded it and it still hummed. The solution, we went to my friends house and his amp is plugged into an EMI / RFI reducing powerbar. We plugged the guitar in and it was dead quiet in regards to hum.

This amp almost always plugged into the same outlet in the same room in my home. 110v, on a 20A circuit. The amp is ALWAYS fairly quiet (as far as noise and hum go) with any other guitar plugged in, or even the LTD plugged in, when the neck pickup is selected. If it were a grounding issue in the guitar, would it not effect the neck pickup as well? If it were an issue with the power in this room, would it not hum like crazy no matter what I plugged into it?
Last edited by guitar42697 at Oct 13, 2015,
do you have a multimeter? measure the ohms between the bridge and the ground at the jack, it shoud measure 0ohms. Alternatively, measure continuity at the same locations and it should beep if all is truely well. Do the same thing for all the other ground connections. This should help to eliminate any questions of bad grounding. Do this for the orange wire at the pickup. If it beeps, then you got a short that needs fixing.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by bustapr
do you have a multimeter? measure the ohms between the bridge and the ground at the jack, it shoud measure 0ohms. Alternatively, measure continuity at the same locations and it should beep if all is truely well. Do the same thing for all the other ground connections. This should help to eliminate any questions of bad grounding. Do this for the orange wire at the pickup. If it beeps, then you got a short that needs fixing.

Like I said, I essentially isolated the pickup, wired it straight to the jack. That's telling me its the pickup, but I could be wrong