Dearest Elizabeth,

the night air hangs dank and heavy in this dreary place. The night we strolled on the village square seems like a distant almost forgotten dream. The plantation as I left it on that sunny glorious day so long ago is so distant to me, so far away, nonexistent.

The prison which we are held is but a lingering slow death. The men are becoming sick from malnutrition. In their weakened state they fall ill with every frailty imaginable. The stench of death combined with long unwashed sick bodies permeates the mossy stone walls and overcomes my soul and heart with his sense of doom. Oh how I long for your lovely face. The memory of you is what keeps me from succumbing. It gives me strength to carry on that perhaps if destiny allowed us to meet again I might make it up to you for the time I screwed that tramp. I just couldn't resist it was a man thing you wouldn't understand. It's not that I don't love you please know that I do and that's for always forever, well maybe I don't know the chances are good, let's put it that way.

The guards beat us every day. I lost hearing in my left ear, nose is been broken several times. I have gangrene in my left leg. Many of the men here have tuberculosis I am included I am no exception.

In an effort to save my infected leg miggots as the French call them or maggots were introduced into the festering wound. They eat the dead infected tissue and left the healthy tissue untouched. However the maggots reintroduced some type of infection of which I have no idea what it is.

After the maggots and gangrene were done with it half remained. Ribbons of tissue hanging helter-skelter off of my leg bone. The new infection introduced by the maggots produced a greenish mucus with ribbons of red, fitting for the upcoming Christmas season. We cut it off and offered it to the dog. He ate it and died.

I remain truly yours forever and always

Charles
Last edited by yope at Oct 9, 2015,